• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hair everywhere

rocky

i guess everyone will be the same just now but i am up the wall with all the hairs everywhere i have to hoover everyday just now and everytime we touch vegas 's coat the hairs are falling off everywhere i brush him everyday but does'nt seem to make much difference is it a good idea to get his hair trimmed ? how long does his coat cast like this?

We have exactly the same problem with Millie. I hoover everyday, and wipe down all the sofa's and surfaces to try to clean up as much of the hair as possible. I brush her every day too, and it doesn't seem to help. I have to confess, I did have her coat cut once to see if it made a difference to the amount of shedding hair - and it really did. However, she just looked like a diffeent dog, and I ended up wishing her hair would grow back! It now has a much stronger kink in it - and I think its because of this cut that she had a while back.
I would gladly try any tip that might help with the hair shedding. Ive been told its as a result of too much protein in the diet - but I have tried her with lots of foods, and the problem still exists!
I mostly wear black, so Im constanly covered in VERY visible white hairs, no matter how hard I try! Ive given up at this stage :D

how long does his coat cast like this?

For the life of your dog, basically. :lol:

While there's a chance that he may be losing his puppy coat at the moment, this is a long haired breed with a lot of grooming and maintenance. Cutting his hair just means you will have lots of shorter hairs shed everywhere, which IMHO are harder to sweep up -- at least the long ones form dust bunnies and are easy to see.

In my basic guide to the breed in the LIbrary I note this is a breed some term a 'moderate' shedding breed but that really depends on what your experience of heavy shedders has been. For most people, cavaliers would be seen to shed a lot. That's why vacuum cleaners are a constant and favourite topic of discussion here... (y) :rotfl:

Welcome to many years of cleaning up hair. :lol: It is a permanent part of cavalier ownership.

It now has a much stronger kink in it - and I think its because of this cut that she had a while back.

That's exactly what the show breeders say happens to their coat as soon as you start cutting it -- it goes curly.

Cavaliers just shed -- brushing will help but foods shouldn't make any difference (except a poor food might make them lose more coat!). The only thing that you can do is try and pick a puppy from a line where parents have shorter, lighter coats. Leo and Jaspar are from such lines and they shed a lot less than the girls. Jaspar hardly sheds at all but seems to be a real exception. Black hair tends to shed the most, by all accounts.

I can't remember how old Vegas is but they do shed their puppy coat. It was awful for us as Dylan's puppy coat was 5 inches long. It eases up a little after that stage but I do think you have to hoover everyday to not see a pile up, especially with wooden floors it collects round the edges.

This pic shows Dylan's in between stage.
1238472853_4f5c21b252.jpg

It's funny when it is coming in (adult coat) -- its all short and shiny and the old coat is long and lightweight. Jaspar had a kind of wispy fringe on his sides for ages. :rolleyes:

Spring has sprung....We went through a MAJOR shedfest with our girl about a month ago.:v*cuum: It preceded her first (and last) season so I think we had a double whammy of fluctuating hormones and the Spring "coat blowing.":eek: Dottie now has kind of a thinner, funny coat but it looks like her big girl coat is coming in. The shedding is now minimal compared to a few weeks ago, so, take heart. You are probably in that twice yearly shedding cycle. We have hardwood flooring and wool area rugs under the couches so we vaccuum the rugs and Swiffer the floors. The simple dry Swiffer is the best little invention going to sweep up and collect stray hairs.

We have also been going through those masking tape clothing rollers by the boxload. I found a silicone version that works like a charm and just rinse when full, dry, and it is ready to go again. Hang in there, I am sure it will get better! :xfngr:

vegas is 7 months old so hopefully he is shedding his puppy coat and it wont be just so bad after that but i know i will just have to learn to live with it. I was finding it funny when you said that you wear a lot of black as so did i but i was in edinburgh shopping yesterday and saw a few tops i liked for the summer and would normally choose black but ended up getting light colours instead. he is even ruling my wardrobe:D:D:D:D oh and also on the subject of cutting him i dont think i'll bother as he has a lovely coat and if it goes curly naturally fair enough but would not want to cause it through getting it clipped

I just bought a black cotton suit and thought it would be fine if I used the rollers (hairs stick less to cotton than some blends) -- but no, this thing is a hair MAGNET. I was going to wear the suit today but didn;t have time to iron and then roller off the hair so went for a less static-y pair of black pants and a patterned jacket. I was in a fleece and jeans this morning but this afternoon I had to interview Charlie McCreevy (Irish folks will know the name but probably not anyone else :lol:) so I had to wear some nicer grownup set of clothes!

What is the name of the silicone roller; that sounds ideal. I find the roller brands all vary in quality and effectiveness too. My mom got me some rollers last year that work really really well.

I know what you all mean about black clothing. I am now favoring light colored clothing myself in order to have the appearance of fewer clingons.;)

Karlin, got the silicone roller set at the Orange County Pet Expo a few weeks ago. It is called the "Sticky Critter" reusable pet hair roller. I tossed the paperwork so not sure if or where they can be ordered. Works great. The set was $25.00 and included a short handled roller for clothing at home, a long handled version for rolling over furniture and rugs, and even a purse sized roller for when you are out and about. The only real downside is that as they fill up with fur, they have to be rinsed with water and dried. I usually put a papertowel over the drain in the bathroom when rinsing and toss in the trash. Don't want to clog the drain with furballs!:eek:

Count us in as being overwhelmed by dog hair. I never really knew what a dust bunny looked like till we got Daisy. Now those things breed in the corners of our kitchen nightly!

:rotfl:

Welcome to the club. I brush my boys every day & every day I get a full handfull of hair out of each of them. I think it is for life. And yes, we are obsessed with vacuum cleaners.

:v*cuum::v*cuum::v*cuum:

Hahaha, good to know Im not the only one who spends most of my days vaccuming and trying in vain to roll hairs of my clothes in an attempt to make myself look somewhat clean..

If I go one day without taking out the hoover - the hair clumps in each corner of the room start to resember tumble weeds from a western movie :D :D :D

I am firmly convinced that dust-bunnies are sentient. Have you noticed that they hide themselves behind & under unmoveable furniture while you are vacuuming, :v*cuum: but as soon as you put the vac away, they roll out to mock you? :yikes

I am firmly convinced that dust-bunnies are sentient. Have you noticed that they hide themselves behind & under unmoveable furniture while you are vacuuming, :v*cuum: but as soon as you put the vac away, they roll out to mock you? :yikes

:rotfl:

That's what they do in my house anyway, as soon as the vacuum is put away they scuttle out onto the floor, I have considered doggie shoes with sticky tape on the bottom so that they can clean up after themselves :D

Haley is 9 months and I think is shedding her puppy coat? I brush her severel times a day and each time I pet her hairs still continue to fly about. I'm thankful about the color of her hair and the texture is still so fine that I do not have dust bunnies. I had a lab who died 5 years ago and for 9 years I HAD DUSTBUNNIES EVERYWHERE!!!! I'm looking forward to her adult coat. The feathering is coming in around the legs & tail.

Back