• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Thinking about getting a Cavalier and a bunch of questions!

NejiXSan

Okay i'm thinking about getting a cavalier but there a several problems i must face and to ensure that the Cavalier has a nice, safe and loving home.

Firstly, i have a bunch of wires under both me and my brothers tables and i'm scared when i'm not around that the dog will chew on it and it'll be really bad. Same thing but with books and papers on the book shelf.

How do you train it so it is not allowed to go upstairs onto the carpet except for bed time?

How often do you put it into a crate when housebreaking it? What do i do if i want to have a crate downstairs for housebreaking and a crate upstairs for sleeping. Do i really need to? Because i'm scared it might think that its for sleeping and stuff and i don't want to move it every single day.

Does all Cavaliers get those two diseases? SM or something and the other? How bad does it get? What happens if it DOENS'T get treated?

How are ticks treated?

I want to teach it and stuff in the study room.. so after it learns and obedient do i move onto next areas and slowly teach him around the house what is good and what is bad?

And lastly.. how do I get my mum to buy this Cavalier for me, i've tried everything :D

15 turning 16 azn family. LOVE dogs but never realy taken care of one that well but will try my aboslute best this time.

i'm sorry but i personally think you are too young to get a cavalier. If you look on the site under training etc they take alot of time and effort. I was your age at one stage......and i was more interested in boys in the next few years. It would really fall back on your mother or father, whomever is in the house during the day, to mind the dog. I dont know where you are from but i paid 550euro for my dog and then another 80 or so for the vaccinations etc and food and vets bills and neutering etc. Its an awful lot of time and money.

No i'm not insulting you or trying to make out that you are childish or anything by any means and i really do sound old to you. Maybe you would be fantastic with a dog. My daughter is only 5 and really loves ruby and would do anything for her. That is the other side of it. Obviously i dont know you. Your mother as you said would be buying the dog and she would know you best, so i guess it would be up to her to make that decision. When you leave home in a few short years, to go to college or work away maybe? will you be able to bring the dog, or want to bring it, or will the dog be left at home with your mum and dad? and do they want that???
Other than that all the questions you ask are under the training section on this site....godd luck with it all....:)

there are plenty of dog books out there that will help with your questions. the house breaking books are very good. these dogs do take a ton of time so unless your whole family is on board it will not be easy. all the wires and books have to be put away so the dog can't get to them. I still have my wires behind a cardboard barrier which has been great. as far as getting the dog I would make a deal with your mom and do some kind of chore for as long as it took until I earned the money for the dog. cleaning house, or babysitting something like that. goo luck

My 14 year old daughter got a cavalier-- we knew she was going to college and knew her dog would be staying with us. Because we all knew this a head of time it worked out fine. Always try to think of your dog as a 10-15 year commitment. Good luck in whatever you and your family decide.

And lastly.. how do I get my mum to buy this Cavalier for me, i've tried everything :biggrin:

I guess your Mum will get you a cavalier when she's prepared to do all the work herself,do the walking,grooming and cleaning and pay all the vet bills.
My daughter nagged,cried and begged me to get her a pup for almost two years ....
Sooooo you gotta convince MUM that having a cavalier will greatly add to the quality of HER life and bring her much sunshine and happiness:D
Sins

Hi,

I totally disagree with people saying that you are too young to get a cavalier. I am 17 (18 in july) and i have two cavaliers Bailey will be three in a few weeks and Holly will be 3 in august.

Bailey has epilepsy and I am completley responible for giving him his medication, and I pay for most of the vet bills (I have a part-time job) I am the one who brings them to the vet, walks them, picks up the poo, cleans up the sick, baths them, feeds them and trains them.

As for going to college/moving out your family will be completley smitten with the dog at that stage, so don't worry about it!

Also re the dog eating wires/papers etc, my room is like a pig sty and the dogs dont go near a thing they just head straight fot he bed!

Good luck :)

Back