• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rubber Bone versus Nylabone

Honestly between the maltese I had growing up and the pomeranian and CKCS I have now, I have never had a dog who actually liked nylabone. My girlfriend just got an 8 week old shitzhu and she also has an 8 month old Bichon and they don't touch any nylabones either. We've tried every flavor, and surely I've tried every flavor with my dogs after so many people say good things about them. I mean the 8wk old shitzhu chews on EVERYTHING except the nylabone. I don't know how that company is still in business??? Anyway, all dogs seem to like Kongs. You can always stuff them with something tasty if they start to loose interest.

My 2 love their kongs too, sometimes if they get fed up with them I soak them for a few hours in chicken stock or 'stock' made from marmite & hot water & then they love them again!!

Ive never had a dog that liked nylabones either .

Mine have never been interested in Nylabones, except for the first few minutes out of the packaging. I tried them with all as puppies and a couple of years ago, again with Teddy hoping to distract him from scratching. They are a rather expensive waste, if not liked. They have never been interested in rubber toys either, prefering plush ones.

bearing in mind the danger of nibbling off and swallowing rubber from a toy, perhaps a kong would be a safer choice. I have one of those purple 'flying saucer' versions, that have the advantage of being adjustable to treat size and can be dismantled for thorough cleaning.

I found a petite nylabone for aggressive chewers that she loves....... did not like the other nylabone stuff. She does like her kong which I smear a little peanut butter (dab) over it to keep her busy and happy while I'm at work. I never thought about the rubber coming off, thanks to everyone for the insight.
When Haley was much younger she loved plush and had an AKC toy that was plush plus chewing rope but I kept finding string in her poo which I knew was no good. Pressed rawhides worked good for my other dogs but won't with Haley. She like to sit on my lap at night and chew her bone.

I am a newbie with kongs. If I put peanut butter inside the kong and the dog can't get to it after trying, what do I do with the peanut butter after a few hours? Should I get it out to give to the dog or should I just wash it off?

Thanks,

Ref the Nylabones, if you are going to use them get the extra tough/durable types. Our girl loved her first (and last) Nylabone but I was horrified when I saw that she was able to get chunks off of it. It went right into the trash because I was afraid she would choke.

We put non-fat cream cheese with a little peanut butter in the Kongs and freeze them for when we have to crate and go out for a few hours. Keeps Dottie happy and busy the whole while. When we arrive home we pull it, rinse out the residue and put in the dishwasher before we refill and freeze a new Kong. We have about 5 of them so there is always a clean, filled and frozen one ready to go at a moments notice. Best invention yet!

Maverick has 3 ones. One has no flavor, one chicken and then one blue dental one with nubbies... I have to watch this one since it doesn't seem to be as tough as the rest.

My dogs like the Nylabones and love the Nylabone toys. They also like their Kongs, even if nothing is in them. We have about 4 of them and their favorite is the Puppy Kong, they fight over it all the time!

Back