• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you all really feel about this?

I've known about many of the studies which lead to these conclusions for a good length of time. I notice that one side effect they don't mention in the quick summary is that of triple hypo thyroid risk. I had to deal with this in one of my pets so that is how I stumbled across some of this information before. It is mentioned in the main report.

I happen to agree with the statement, "This is a medical decision, to be decided by a pet owner in consultation with their veterinarian. One size does not fit all, and should not be mandated by government."

I have owned two dogs before that were intact there whole lives (both had medical difficulties and were at high risk if anesthetized) and was easily able to manage their heats. Neither were ever at risk of producing unwanted puppies - because there really are some of us who are responsible owners.

Arlene and her three.

Well that's put me off neutering again! It says neutering, and I quote, "quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer".

I have always had my pets spay/neutered and will continue to do so.

I feel it is wrong, wrong, wrong for government to have mandatory spay/neuter laws though.

Although I'm generally opposed to anything that inhibits our freedoms, I feel the animal overpopulation has become a tragic situation and I'm in support of any measure that will aid in preventing their unnecessary suffering.

Neutering may or may not "quadruple the risk of prostate cancer," but keeping a male intact largely increases the chance for testicular cancer, poor behavior, difficult housetraining and unwanted puppies (among a plethora of other things).

That dumb California law had originally said that all had to be neutered by *4* months. Talk about not being in the best interest of the animal (at least not for all animals).
I want to make all relevant decisions for MY pets health-- not some politician with an agenda.

They have found with the LA california MSN that the euthanasia rates ARE HIGHER! 1st quarter numbers are UP (not down).

Testicular cancer in dogs IS usually a slow growth, not likely to metastasize and curable with a neuter.

Spay females tend to have an increase in negative behaviors (more territorial, more guarding behaviors).

I don't want to give up the freedom of choice I have-- AND how many puppies are euthanized in shelters anyway??

I've always thought this was the right thing to do when I was a kid. Now with my first puppy I am feeling remorseful and reluctant for putting him through this procedure. His behavior has changed significantly already. I just hope he doesn't suffer any of the other medical conditions mentioned. In fact it has really put me off in thinking of adopting another rescue and my dream of a pedigree companion. I know my little guy doesn't stand the chance of a long and healthy life due to his cloudy background. Now the burden of guilt that the procedure performed on him may shorten his life further. :(

Wow, that's an intersting article...thanks for sharing, pinkpuppy! My boys aren't neutered (1 have 1 year old and a 5 month old), and I've been going back and forth with whether or not to have Miles "done". I know there are positives and negatives to both neutering and leaving them intact, and I guess I feel like I am a very responsible owner and realize that I need to be extra careful with him since he's not neutered. He is never off leash except when he's in our patio, and he is always supervised. I am trying my best to stick with the "natural rearing" way of doing things, so I always err on not doing things unless they're completely necessary...I know this is a controversial topic and people have very strong opinions on it...My cats are both spayed and I have always spayed/neutered my pets, but with the boys I'm just not sure I want to do it...and since it's something you can't undo, I'm not going to have it done unless I'm sure that's what I want...

I want to make all relevant decisions for MY pets health-- not some politician with an agenda.

Sadly, many people in this world are not capable or are too ignorant to make responsible decisions regarding their pets' wellbeing. Whether or not we agree with this particular spay/neuter law, I'm glad that politicians are at least giving attention to some of the problems animals face in today's world.

my sisters girl who was speyed at 5 months has all those problems apart from cancer ,hypothyroidism & reaction to vaccines

which is why I have changed my mind about early speying , when we had her done I was all for it as she recovered so quickly from the surgery

I always had my females neutered when the vet suggested at around 4 months but have waited with Hali because I have had friends whose puppies have died after the neutering so I am waiting. I do not think anyone should force anyone to spay or neutor their pet unless unwanted puppies/cats are coming from these dogs or mistreatment of the animal.

I know when I was told after three children, "so are you going to have your tubes tied" so matter of factly I agreed without really understanding the risks which led to a total hysterectomy before 40 years old.

When is a female cavalier fully mature to be spayed so I can do it at the appropriate time?

Back