• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM study at U of Minnesota; Cavaliers needed

Bruce H

I just found out about this, so I have not yet looked into it.

UPCOMING STUDY NEEDING CAVALIERS!
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
Syringomyelia Pain Control Study
Clinical Investigation Center
University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine

We are looking for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels with the following signs:
* scratching in the head/neck area
* painful
* sensitivity to touch

If your pet qualifies, we offer free of charge:
* MRI to confirm syringomyelia
* Neurology consult
* blood work

For more information, please contact: Marianne Robeck, CVT 612-624-1352

** Please pass this on to others who could participate!

[email protected]
serv

Thanks for the post. :)

I understand this is a sister study to the one being run at the Royal Vet College in London.

Thanks for posting Bruce, I just got my information in the mail. I hope Abbey's able to participate in this study. :xfngr:

I just found out about this, so I have not yet looked into it.

UPCOMING STUDY NEEDING CAVALIERS!
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
Syringomyelia Pain Control Study
Clinical Investigation Center
University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine

We are looking for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels with the following signs:
* scratching in the head/neck area
* painful
* sensitivity to touch

If your pet qualifies, we offer free of charge:
* MRI to confirm syringomyelia
* Neurology consult
* blood work

For more information, please contact: Marianne Robeck, CVT 612-624-1352

** Please pass this on to others who could participate!

[email protected]
serv

That is great news. And you have the cutest avatar.

Thanks so much Bruce! I've sent an email to the address you supplied. I assume that was to be used for contact as well as the phone number?

I'm willing to travel up to MN if Bentley would be accepted into the study. He has taken a turn for the worse in the last few weeks. He is now reluctant to be petted much, and has pretty much given up his habit of sitting with me in my chair. I'm so sad about this.

The vet has prescribed Lasix (furosinamide?) for him to take twice per day... this is the first medication listed to try on Claire Rusbridges medical treatment plan. He just started on it yesterday so hopefully my lovey Bentley will be feeling better with this help.

Same SM Pain Study at

Barb, my heart goes out to you and Bentley. It sounds like maybe he needs Gabapentin? I recently found Giant Eagle pharmacy has Gabapentin at a very affordable price. Also, my sister also filled a Tramadol prescription for her dog there for $4.00.

The same study is also going to happen in Philadelphia, a few miles closer, I think.
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/departments/csp/research/clinical_trials/syringomyelia.html

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/departments/csp/research/clinical_trials/CKCS_Breeders_Club_flyer.pdf

I am considering entering India into this study, but Geordie does not qualify because his heart murmur is graded too high for the study.

Thank you, Cathy! I had just finished typing a reply to you yesterday and my internet went down. Arghh! It was down for a couple of hours so I gave up and decided to post this morning.

I'll call U of Penn today to get more information from them. I do think the Lasix is helping Bentley a bit. He was very cuddly in bed last night and he hasn't been for about three weeks now. I really missed my snuggle bug! I felt so bad because I could tell he wasn't right!

The vet had told me he would need to pee a lot more since it Lasix is a diuretic, but he hasn't had a problem at all. He does goes out a little more often but not at all what I expected.

Back