• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Your thoughts on the Sense-ible harness?

*Pauline*

Dylan's harness is complicated to put on and, as I will be leaving him with a minder while I'm on holiday, I'd be happier giving her something easy to put on. I am considering a Sense-ible Harness.

My main concern, has anyone ever had one of these slip off?

What is a good size for an average Cavalier?

I use a double ended lead, how many loops to attach a lead does the Sense-ible harness have?

I have been using mine for two days. Based on my limited experience with it, I would say it's not easy to slip off. It uses a buckle under the chest and one ring/loop under the neck.

This is the best thing since sliced bread! I got the Sensible two days ago and I just ordered another one-but a different version. It's called SENSE_ation harness. It uses different materials and buckle and costs $5 more. I just wanted to have a backup.

I ordered x-small size (for girth under 20"), it's big enough for Mickey--he is 16 lbs.

Last edited:
I use the Sense-ible harness for Oliver as he pulls quite a bit. The harness looks really well and I think it would be difficult to slip off. I have the Small and it is plenty roomy-- maybe even a bit too big. Oliver weighs about 20 lbs.

I have the Sense-ation harness in x-small for Miles, and he's 18 lbs. It's definitely large enough for him. I was considering ordering the small and am glad I ordered the x-small. I'm still trying to adjust it to fit him correctly, but I don't worry about him slipping out of it...I'm determined to get it right because I've heard great things about this harness! :)

My friend bought her lab/pitt mix one of these harnesses. I remember before a walk one day we were talking about whether or not the harness looked like it would stay on. Let's just say that this lab/pitt loves to pull and is hard to control when people or other dogs walk by. Luckily the harness has always stayed on during these situations. However, one night while at my house my friend was holding his leash as we sat there talking and somehow he jumped right out of the thing! It was the craziest thing I've ever seen and I have no idea how he did it. Luckily he hasn't gotten out of it again.

I ordered two of these harnesses. Tracer fits the small one but for Armani I ordered the X-small. I was dissappointed to find that it is narrower than the small. I haven't tried it on him yet. I'm worried it will cut in too much since it's narrow. Does anyone have this problem?
I'll try both sizes on Armani and maybe the small will work for him.
The little I did walk with Tracer, it seems like it will work great for the pulling.

I have the small and have it on the smallest settings to fit a 15 and 16 lb cavalier. I like that it is a little heavier but that said, the x-small would probably fit Leo better. Correctly fitted, neither of those sizes should cut into the dog (and the harness shouldn't be able to slip off -- sounds like maybe it was too loose. It should fit snugly when the dog is standing, not when the dog is sitting.

I just love these harnesses, they make walking a group of dogs very easy.

I love these harnesses for walking much better than the puppias or other harnesses with the clip on the back. Conrol of pulling is so much better with the clip in the front. It is important to make sure they are adjusted to fit correctly although how a dog could slip out of one unless it was exceptionally lose is beyond me.

I just looked up the harness on the web to see what ye were talking about and saw that the lead attaches to the front of the dog on their chest. My first reaction was....how is that going to work and pictured ruby walking along in front of me.....And then the penny dropped....i presume this will keep ruby beside me?????????? The way i am supposed to have her trained??? Am i right???:confused:

I tried the harnesses on Armani last night. I noticed that when we walk, the area where the ring is in front pulls to the side. Does it need to be tighter?

I think both will work but I'm going to order the small for him too. I just like the thickness more. The x-small just doesn't look like it could hold him.

I got it 3days ago,bought it from dogtrainingireland.ie (i can say this,right?if not,do remove..)
they do ship it to UK as well and they send you with
an introduction thing with all pics, how to put it on,
also a quick training session (useful(y))...etc...

I use it on Harry(tri boy,5month today:luv:)
only thing i found is that if a dog is not used to the harness
when he tries to go front of you the leash could scratches his eyes
so,defo a bit of training needed!

i got x-small n i had to tighten it very hard as Harry's small
but eve x-small will be enough for averege cav,i think.
it won't slip out if it's well fitted and you can hook the chest ring on the leash with a collar.

Last edited:
presley - you got alot more than I did with my harnesses. I got 2 harnesses in a baggie and that's it! I even ordered direct from SoftTouch (USA). I'll have to look on their website to see if there's directions on how to fit and use.

I love these harnesses for walking much better than the puppias or other harnesses with the clip on the back. Conrol of pulling is so much better with the clip in the front. It is important to make sure they are adjusted to fit correctly although how a dog could slip out of one unless it was exceptionally lose is beyond me.

After reading about it here I bought the Sense-ation harness, X-Small for Winston (~16lbs.) I have to say I am VERY impressed with the immediate reduction in pulling! I don't think I have it fitted properly yet, and may need to buy a different leash with lighter hardware because the ring in front droops when standing still and pulls to the side when walking.

He has also managed to slip out of it, 3 times in one evening while hanging out at the pub. On walks I don't think it would come off, but while relaxing, with some slack in the lead, it twisted somehow and he just walked on out of it!

Can I jump into this thread and ask if I'll need to take the harness off when Ruby has run in the field? I've just ordered one and can't wait to get it.

Tara and Lisa at Dog Training Ireland are really good about giving lots of info on how to use the harness. :)

It shouldn't slip off even when the dog is relaxing.

The point of the front clip is that there's nothing for the dog to pull against. The ring often pulls to the side. There is more info on fitting properly on the Soft-touch website.

The Easy Walk harness is basically the same but I prefer the Sense-ible.

The Sense-ible is what I recommend to anyone who hasn;t yet gotten their dog into obedience and has a puller. It also is great when you get dogs on couplers etc as they often eventually start to pull.

You can leave it on when they are off lead but it isn;t recommended to leave it on while they are playing etc. I use the Puppia on Jaspar for agility for example.

Can I jump into this thread and ask if I'll need to take the harness off when Ruby has run in the field? I've just ordered one and can't wait to get it.

Winston has gone for a couple of jogs with me in it with no problem...didn't seem to irritate anything either. As Karlin mentioned, it would be a good idea to take it off if he's playing with other pups.

Back