• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Boarding Kennels??

Phoebe

Hi everyone, I've got a bit of a problem. I gave my word to hubby that if we got a dog, it would not interfere with our annual family holiday. We've booked a week away in June and now I'm miserable at the thought of putting our little one into kennels. We went to view one today that was recommended by a friend and generally I could not find fault with it, ie - it was clean and well organised, you can take your own food if you prefer, you can take your own bedding and toys if you prefer, each dog has a reasonable space to live in etc..but.....my face must have said it all when I asked about exercise and walking. The dogs are allowed out into an enclosed grassed area to potter around for 15-20 mins once a day! So for practically 24 hours a day they poop and wee in a corner of their living area? I realise that when you have about 50 dogs about the place, the logistics of managing their routines and exercising them is a bit tricky and many owners may be happy to have their dog confined for more than 23 1/2 hours a day, but I'm not. Am I expecting too much? I've never even seen any kennels before so am pretty ignorant about what they provide. They charge £8.00 a day, but I would pay double that to ensure that Phoebe has plenty of walks and interaction with people. I think I was supposed to be impressed because the kennels bath them just before you pick them up, but I would be quite happy to pick her up covered in mud and smelling awful as long as she had enjoyed fresh air and plenty of running around. Am I being unrealistic? Does anyone know of kennels in the Stoke on Trent / Staffordshire area that they would be happy to recommend (if it's not appropriate to post this info, please PM me) I intend to ask around and go and visit a few more but if all kennels are like this, then I really don't know what I am going to do. :neutral:

That is a tough thought putting your baby in a kennel. I have owned dogs for over 15 years and have only done it once and it was heartbreaking. It was a similar thing...they took them out once in the morning and again at 7 at night and that was it! It was only for a weekend and I vowed I wouldn't do it again.

That being said, there are options for travel. A lot depends on how far away you are going, but are there pet-friendly hotels in the area? Look into that first. My dogs love going on vacation and are always really easy and there are many pet-friendly places to stay. We went away last weekend and rented a pet-friendly house.

Next option; family & friends! Cavaliers are easy dogs to take care of for most people. Have you asked any friends or family to watch her ILO boarding her? Offer them money, a gift certificate, groceries for a week, whatever, but that is always my first thought.

If your only option is to board them, keep looking at other places. Possibly get referrals for dog walkers or doggie daycares as some of those people may be willing to take dogs.

Also, is there anyone on this board that lives close? Maybe they would be willing to watch her for a fee?

I think it's tough to find a situation that sounds good, just because we can't bear to think of our dogs with strangers, or of being apart from them.

We are boarding Daisy twice this summer, and I dread it. I made the same deal with my husband as you did with yours. :) I visited 3 different kennels and I think they all said they took the dogs out at least 3 times during the day. I think once a day is really out of the ordinary. The place I finally decided on is a place where the owner (a well-known local dog trainer and show breeder of Wheaten terriers) lives in half the building, and she has a training room for classes, plus space for 6 boarding dogs in the other half. She takes the dogs out 4 times a day and she said that the max they would ever be in the crate at one time is 3 hours. Plus, she said with small dogs, as long as they get along with her 2 Wheaten terriers, she often just keeps them in the apartment side with her. It sounds good, and was a lot better than the other places I checked out, but of course I'm still nervous.

Good luck finding a kennel or other situation. If they don't have an indoor-outdoor type of kennel so they can use the bathroom outside away from their living area, then I would definitely say once a day is not enough.

I've said his many times -- but dogs actually get along fine in kennels and often enjoy the break as much as you should while on holiday. For dogs, there's a satisfying, comfortable routine, a clean place to chill out, play times, and often, hanging out with some other dogs. I have put rescue dog INTO kennels because they needed a calm place and time to find their footing and foster would be too overwhelming, especially for certain very stressed dogs (who have been stressed out by people).

I know my group enjoy their time in the traditional kennels and the home boarding situations I use (I use both) as they get things they don't have at my place -- a large exercise area to explore and run around in; playtime with other small dogs (they truly have a whole separate life and group of dog friends they know from this!!) and they like all the people they stay with. It never bothers me much to leave them in (outside of missing them all), but I always enjoy going to get them back! :)

It is also important for dogs to be able to have enough independence that they can be left in a new place without getting separation anxiety. If they don't have that ability and self confidence, it can be extremely hard on a dog that might need to be hospitalised for example.

I know people who run both kennels and home boarding situations and all confirm dogs settle right in as soon as their owners disappear out of sight, with almost no exceptions. They will all say it is the owners who are the upset ones, never the dogs. :eek: So I'd not worry if you feel you have found a good kennels -- the dogs will likely enjoy many aspects of their own break while you enjoy yours.

In general I think having a dog safely at a kennel or secure home boarding situation is far, far safer and better for your own peace of mind than leaving the dog with friends and family not used to dogs who might leave a door open, or have something dangerous at dog-access level... kennels are clean and safe. :)

Karlin,
I know what you mean about leaving a dog with friends. My husband has a colleague who has very generously offered to keep Daisy during our trips this summer. They are putting up a fence in anticipation of getting a dog of their own, soon. But I was just too scared that she would bolt out the front door or they would be walking her and she would get away, be attacked by a big dog, etc.

When I was younger, my parents left our dogs with my sister and her daughter. Sure enough, the daughter let her friend walk our dog, and she dropped the leash and he was lost for 6 days in February. He had crossed a 4 lane busy highway and ended up at a farm where he hung around the barn for 2 days before he would finally let the guy get close enough to see his name tag with our number.

It felt like a miracle that we got him back. And I still think it was.

There are some very good kennels - it's a matter of finding them. The kennel we use was recommended by our vet, and was at the top of their list. It's amazing how many people know about this place, all by word of mouth! This kennel is our first choice - because we know our dogs are safe, happy, and clean.

If you're looking for a good kennel, try to get recommendations from veterinarians and other pet owners. I would look for a smaller establishment that offers personalized care. From my experience, it's the larger kennels that seem to neglect the dogs and not keep a close eye on the workers.

Back