PDA

View Full Version : Beware: Human medicines!



merlinsmum
5th May 2008, 05:30 PM
Last Tuesday Mr Oakey decided to eat grandads blood pressure tablet that unfortunatley got dropped on the floor.

We made him eat grass in between calling the emergency vet....... No sicky...
The vets contacted the poisons dept who advised us to get him to a vet. We got him to the vets... they couldn't induce vomiting as the tablets take only about 20 min to be disolved plus if they had induced vomiting they would have to have given him a sedative which may have reacted with the blood pressure tablet:eek:.

So Oakley spent the day in the vets in the ops theatre so he could be monitored constantly on a drip to clear him out. My poor little man locked up in a crate - apparantely he was good as gold and suffered no ill effects.

He went back the next day to have his blood pressure checked and all was good- the little greedy guts was okay:D

Grandad has now been given strict instructions to take his tablets BEFORE the boys arrive:paw:

Karlin
5th May 2008, 05:34 PM
Oh that must have been scary!!

You can use a hydrogen peroxide mix to force vomiting:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/23422_dog-first-aid-poisonous.htm

There's a transcript at the bottom of the video with the measurements. Pharmacies usually will sell hydrogen peroxide.

It's important that this be 3% hydrogen peroxide and NOT what is used for hair colouring! It is also a good idea to immediately call the vet for advice BEFORE doing this unless it is an absolute emergency -- you know the dog has swallowed poison, or close to 20 minutes has passed, etc.

Also see: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx


Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian.

merlinsmum
5th May 2008, 05:50 PM
The vet advised us that some salt walter or mustard powder on the back of the tongue also induce vomiting -and they are things that you may have handy at home - as most people would not think to have hydrogen peroxide at home.

The other point to note is that if you have to be careful to use hydrogen peroxide in case the item/substance that your dogs has ingested could cause a chemical reaction which would be horrid:eek:

hbmama
5th May 2008, 05:55 PM
Yikes!!! Thas is REALLY scary!!:eek: Glad Mr. Oakley is going to be okay. I am going to print the info that Karlin posted for future reference.

Melissa
5th May 2008, 05:55 PM
Wow that would be scary.

My mother in law's golden decided that jumping up on the counter and eating chocolate would be a good idea. She used the peroxide to get him to vomit. She said he ran around all happy and then threw up. He'd doing fine now.