• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New to board and new to Cavaliers

cwarner

Hello,
I recently adopted little Roscoe (2.5 years old) from a family that could no longer keep him. At the time I had no idea what a Cavalier was. I just wanted a pet for the family and thought he was cute. Well now it's been about 3 months and I don't think I could have made a better choice. Roscoe felt at home the moment he stepped foot in the house. He is an awesome litte dude with a great personality. Now I do have some questions. He is a registered AKC Cavalier, I don't know much about what this means but since we plan on getting him a companion next year I would like to use the same breeder. Is there a way to find out who the breeder is by using those numbers ?

Welcome to the board, and to the joys of owning a cavalier. :)

I'd suggest looking for a reputable breeder following the routes suggested in the Library section of this site (In the US, AKC registration is only the bare minimum to look for -- or CKCSC registration -- and does not guarantee a good breeder or carefully bred dogs, sadly). There are a couple of reasons why. First off, any reputable breeder would have had a line in the puppy's contract that stated clearly that the dog must ALWAYS be returned to the breeder, never rehomed without the breeder's permission. You could possibly face a breeder demanding that he be returned to him/her. You could also innocently create problems for the family that decided they wanted to rehome him, including a legal situation.

Second: to be honest, I think the above situation is unlikely to happen because the chances are probably small that Roscoe came from a breeder you really would want to revisit for another cavalier. This is not a criticism or put down of Roscoe but just practical information -- many of us have cavaliers from unknown or so-so backgrounds, whether rescues or dogs we got when we didn't know any different and they are all wonderful dogs that we cherish :) but we definitely don't want to patronise breeders of that sort ever again because they slowly damage the entire breed with their poor breeding practice. Cavaliers from good breeders who focus on health and careful breeding are costly -- we'd be talking a minimum of $1500 at the low end in the US and on up to $2500 or so for pet quality dogs -- and people generally are, except in the most unusual circumstances, very unlikely to rehome them just as most people would not give away a car or other investment. If for any reason owners need to return the dog they generally have good relationship with that breeder and would contact the breeder about having the dog go back to him/her and perhaps resold. Not always, but certainly most of the time.

Also: this is a breed that does have some serious and potentially very costly diseases that become increasingly widespread because of casual breeding for a pet market by people who know little about genetics and are not breeding good quality dogs. Breeding isn't just about buying nice dogs but about understanding generations of pedigrees and knowing what the strengths and weaknesses, in appearance, temperament and very importantly, health are on both sides of the family. An outwardly healthy dog can easily produce severely ill puppies with long term health problems. Sadly, the vast majority of cavaliers do not come from good breeders -- most come from mass breeders (Puppy mills, as depicted recently on Oprah), pet shops (who buy primarily from mass-breeding puppy mills) or people backyard breeding who know nothing about proper breeding. All these sources perpetuate illness in purebred dogs, with their very narrow gene pools. :(

Hence, if you find Roscoe came from a good breeder, there's a possibility of losing him or causing some difficulties for all involved. If you find he came from an indifferent breeder, you might feel you would have been happier not knowing the specifics and just treasuring the new addition to your home. So that's why I'd give the advice to enjoy Roscoe and all the pleasure he brings :), but to find a reputable breeder for a second dog, or perhaps a rescue from breed rescue. (y)

I second all that Karlin said. Now, if you are just curious there is a way you can find out some information using those AKC numbers.

The following link is to the AKC online store. You can click on "Research Pedigree (Online Only)". You probably will have to register as a user and login to do this. It is free but takes a minute.

https://www.akc.org/store/reports/index.cfm

Anyway, when you get to the search page you can type in the AKC number and your dog will show up with his full registered name - it may or may not include his kennel affix.

If he has been registered, if you want to pay the fee, you can then request his pedigree which should include information on the name of the breeder.

If you get the pedigree information you can then also use the OFA database and his parents registration numbers to see if his parents had health checks registered with OFA - information you would probably like to know about.

http://www.offa.org/search.html?action=new

There is also a free way to get some information that might suit your curiousity but you may or may not find the breeder.

For an AKC number such as TR477798 03 there was also at least two more littermates with the AKC numbers TR477798 01 and TR477798 02. It is the last two numbers that change for the additional pups in the litter. If they are on the database is dependent on if their breeder sent in registration but if so you may be able to get a kennel affix from one of the littermates.

After that you just google the affix and see if information shows up on it.

Good Luck

Arlene and her three: Rocky (Cavalier), Missie (Cavalier x Tibetan Spaniel) and J P (Alaskan Husky)

Thanks for that great info Arlene! I am sure quite a few folks will find that of help.

I have had great fun helping to find a couple of my online acquaintances pet store Cavaliers and rescue's pedigree information this way. I hope others can use it.

Arlene and her three: Rocky (Cavalier), Missie (Cavalier x Tibetan Spaniel) and J P (Alaskan Husky)

Thanks for the replies. I did some research on Google and as far as I can tell , my little dude didn't come from a well known breeder. That being said he still is an awesome little friend , with a great disposition. We will just have to keep an eye open to any type of health issues that might happen, which we would have to do anyway's. The funny thing is we where both born in the same state ... Kansas.

I'd post a picture but haven't figured out how.

Back