• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Good news and bad news

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Lucy got a cut on her eye a few weeks back somehow and we've been to the vets twice for the small ulcer that had developed. The vet had to abrade the eye slightly with a Q-Tip under a local, to promote healing. Last week there had been no improvement -- it had actually enlarged despite antibiotics and keeping the eye moist! :( So we had one more chance or she'd have to have treatment under a general. Just back from the vet with her and am delighted to say the eye has healed this time -- hooray! I'm so glad she doesn't need further treatment that would be very uncomfortable for her.

On the other hand I also brought Quincy, my pudgy 3-legged marmalade cat in to have a urine sample taken. The vet says he has developed a heart murmur, grade 2; I wasn't aware murmurs are fairly common in cats! :eek: Not due to MVD in cats though they are valve related but it is a different cause.

Then the always chilled Mr Q was Mr Laid Back as his fat belly was shaved and they stuck three needles in to try and get a urine sample, but no luck -- not enough in the bladder so the bladder just kept moving around away from the needle. He just lay on his back and purred the whole time. :cool: He stayed in at the vets to be fed so that he will produce more urine and they'll try him again this afternoon. Of course he will be delighted to be a kept man and fed some more... :rolleyes:

So some mixed news. They scanned his belly and couldn't see any crystal deposits in his bladder though which was good. But he does have some sort of low level problem going on so they need a clean sample.

I am going through the same problem with Elliot and his eye, he managed to get a pretty bad scrape last week, but antibiotics and liquivisic eye drops seem to be doing the job, however, he has to go in fasting on wed morning for his eye check-up, and if no improvement in healing, has to have a small op.
I am glad to hear that Lucy's eye is healing well :xfngr:, how long was she on drops and antiobiotics until you saw improvement? Any injury to the eye is just so worrying :(

Sorry to hear about Quincy,
I wasn't aware murmurs are fairly common in cats! :eek:
, gosh, neither was I :eek:

:xfngr:, the vets will be able to get him sorted:flwr:

She had her eye abraded twice about 10 days apart. This time I was very sure to keep it moistened with the gel. It had already looked much better by the weekend though so I was hoping she'd be fine.

Maybe 'not unusual' is a better term than 'common' for cat murmurs but still I was surprised. As with cavaliers I guess they can go their lives with no problems or it can progress. Mr Quincy is one happy cat though so will be hoping he has a long life. Time for him to lose some weight though -- he gets less exercise because he is missing that front leg so his food will now be restricted. It can be hard to see how fat he is because the missing leg means you never see him standing completely straight.

Hope Elliot ends up with no problems either on his eye!

Glad Lucy is ok..Hope Quincy will be ok. My Aunt's cat also has heart problems and has been on meds for the last 8 years and doing fine.

I went to get Quincy and apparently he had NOT been happy and had spent all day hiding under a piece of vet bed, refusing to eat or drink. Eventually they did get enough urine to test and he does have at least a mild UTI and perhaps some early stone formation so got an antibiotic injection for that. He'll need to go back for a scan in a month and another urine test.

He was so stressed on the way home that he pee'd all over his crate, though that may well be because he couldn't hold it due to the infection and also being given stuff to get him to produce urine. Poor man went straight upstairs and under my bed but I am happy to say within 10 minutes he came back down, soggy legs and all, to bump heads against the dogs, who all wanted to smell him. Right now he's sitting on the sofa on a soft dog bed next to his favourite, Jaspar.

I am going through the same problem with Elliot and his eye, he managed to get a pretty bad scrape last week, but antibiotics and liquivisic eye drops seem to be doing the job, however, he has to go in fasting on wed morning for his eye check-up, and if no improvement in healing, has to have a small op.

Best wishes to Elliot:) Hope he will be ok.

Yes Quincy will feel much better for being home amongst his family poor lad what a day he's had, how old is Quincy
good news about Lucy's eye

I went to get Quincy and apparently he had NOT been happy and had spent all day hiding under a piece of vet bed, refusing to eat or drink. Eventually they did get enough urine to test and he does have at least a mild UTI and perhaps some early stone formation so got an antibiotic injection for that. He'll need to go back for a scan in a month and another urine test

Sounds like poor Quincy is having a tough time, hopefully he will be better soon, sounds like snuggling up to Jaspar is just what he needs right now:).

Back