PDA

View Full Version : Sadie

Eeva
8th May 2008, 05:30 PM
Say hello to our new addition, Sadie. Sadie is a rescue from Many Tears,
she's an ex-breeding bitch from a puppy farm (probably). She's about 3-4 years old and twice as big as Maija and Hermione! She doesn't mix too much with the other two yet but at least she's stopped growling at them :thmbsup:
She's very attached to me at the moment, needing someone to be there for her as much as possible (and I work from home so I'm here all the time). When I work at the computer she sleeps by my feet.
We were really surprised at how well she behaves on our walks, she keeps next to me at all times apart from an occasional sniff nearby.
And... she's an absolute beauty, at least we think so! :lotsaluv:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb207/eevalilley/P4280247.jpg

I'm sorry if this photo is really large, I wasn't able to resize it for some reason.

cy1266
8th May 2008, 05:46 PM
Oh, she's so cute! Congratulations on the new addition! I'm sure your other girls will come around and they'll be the best of friends soon! :lotsaluv: I'm sure she is very grateful to live in a home and be spoiled by you...can't wait to see more pictures!

sins
8th May 2008, 05:52 PM
The ex breeding bitches can be very sweet when they settle down.My sister got an eight year old from Cavalier Rescue and she's a perfect angel.She steals the baby's toys and takes them into her basket as if they're her puppies and even licks them clean all over.
Sadie looks in remarkable condition and she has such a pretty face.
Sins

Davy
8th May 2008, 06:20 PM
Funny enough I was talking about Sadie and the other B/T from Many Tears the other day.

I was walking SiânE over the park when I heard a noise behind me to see two cavaliers bouncing up and down with excitement as they charged over to see SiânE.

They were so sweet and friendly just like all the other Cavaliers I meet. I got talking to their owner who told me they were from Many Tears. We started chatting and she told me she had wanted a B/T in the first place but as they rarely come in she had taken on these two instead and when she saw the two B/T on the site she had to contain herself from going for them.

I’m sure Sadie will settle down like these two have and your soon end up with a fun and lively home. :)

Cathy T
9th May 2008, 01:26 AM
Sadie is adorable!! So glad you've got her.

Caraline
9th May 2008, 04:05 AM
Oh she is adorable and it is fabulous that you have taken her in. Sounds like her luck has changed for the extremely better. :)

Elaine 2
9th May 2008, 11:23 PM
Ahhh bless her she's beautiful, I'm so pleased she's found a good home with you :)

pippa
9th May 2008, 11:30 PM
She's a lovely girl.

Brian M
10th May 2008, 01:57 PM
Hi
Shes an absolute beauty and what a lucky girl to have found a lovely new home ,best wishes and very many happy years .:rah:

Cleo's Person
10th May 2008, 09:28 PM
Sadie is absolutely gorgeous :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv:. I'm sure she'll settle down with your other two ladies soon and they'll be best of friends!

Claire L
11th May 2008, 11:28 AM
BIG Awwww! from us here :luv: Sadie is beautiful!! Look at those eyes........ totally focused on you I bet???
There is no greater feeling in all the world than seeing a rescue Cavalier settle in and blossom. I wish you many many happy years together :lotsaluv:

Ashley
11th May 2008, 07:42 PM
My goodness she is stunning!!! :D
I think the B/T are just so gorgeous! Love the markings.

How is she settling in?

Oh... i have to go look at the picture again :luv::lotsaluv:

Eeva
11th May 2008, 08:49 PM
Thank you for all your lovely messages!
Sadie's now getting on just fine with Maija and Hermie, although she still doesn't take part in their play. Strangely enough, people seem to be the problem now. She sits at my feet and growls and barks at everyone who comes anywhere near! I'm not quite sure how to deal with this. She's very attached to me, I wonder if she's - misguidedly - trying to protect me somehow? It's not very nice for the rest of the family, somehow we've got to make her stop it.
On our walks she walks right by my side even when she's off the lead. But... yesterday my husband and my daughter took the dogs to the park (I wasn't at home). They let them off and suddenly Sadie turned back and ran all the way home. This included crossing one very busy road (which just then was completely quiet, thank goodness) and another smaller road. She ran all the way home and ended up in our neighbour's garage :confused: Everyone was shocked, the other dogs included. Yet today, when I took her out, she was as good as gold and would not stray anywhere.
She's very beautiful, an absolute stunner, and I'm so glad she's at least made friends with Maija and Hermie. Now they often sleep together in one bed. :thmbsup:
We never expected this to be easy, and we certainly have a few hurdles ahead of us yet.

misty
11th May 2008, 09:31 PM
It sounds like you've gone into this with your eyes open, which is the only way :).

You may have hurdles ahead, but each tiny triumph brings you so much joy. Believe me, I know. I have 3 ex puppy farm dogs but by far the most traumatised was (still is to a degree) Bradley, the 1st one. He lived in a Welsh puppy farm as a stud dog, God knows how long for. Thank goodness he was released to Many Tears for rehoming.

If I were to do it over again (which I have ;)), the one thing I would have done differently is not to molly-coddle Bradley so much in the first few weeks, as I set up problems for myself and Bradley I think. He wasn't used to love and decided he liked it, and became very protective. He's better now (but still has issues of course) and my friends can't believe the difference in him, but that's nearly 2 years down the line.

You'll get there with Sadie and you're doing a wonderful job by the sound of it.

Oh, just one other thought - if she's going to be anxious when she's out without you, maybe it's best she's on her lead.

Good luck x

jcj528
11th May 2008, 09:46 PM
Bless you for givig Sadie a chance for the life she deserves. As you say its not easy to make pet from a kennel dog. But it is oh so rewarding. ~~~ She says as her former kennel dog snuggled closer ~~~

ice-cavi
11th May 2008, 10:05 PM
She is so lucky to have hooked up with you and my she is a sweetie,eh?

I would be carefull with the" growling/protecting you issue."
A girlfriend of mine had to let a dog go who showed the same signals as the dog ended up biting her young son in the face .
(he was playing on the floor with his cars and came too near my girlfriend and the dog on the floor.)
This was a American Cocker Spaniel,allways sweet but.....she had this issues....didn´t want to share mommy.Also she was new in the household and came from a home with too many other dogs.:(
Hope I don´t scare you,it´s not my intention! And I´m sure you can find help/advice in here on how to best handle this situation.

qwickkertje
11th May 2008, 10:10 PM
She's such a beauty.. And in time they will all get along :) That's just what cavaliers do ;)

Eeva
12th May 2008, 09:33 AM
Well... the saga continues. This morning when my husband went downstairs to let the dogs out they all went out but then Sadie came back and started to pooh indoors. My husband grabbed hold of her trying to take her out when she lashed out and bit him in the arm. One deep big gash and a couple of small bites. There was blood everywhere. My husband's going to see the nurse this morning, it might need some stitches.
I'm not sure what to do now, the next step I suppose is for us to ring the fosterer that she was with before we took her and ask for advice.
I was prepared for all kinds of problems but I didn't think she'd start biting. :(

misty
12th May 2008, 10:25 PM
I think it's a very good idea to have a chat with the fosterer and Many Tears themselves.

Sadie won't know she's doing wrong I wouldn't have thought, but biting's not good and I'm sure M/T would want to know.

((( hugs )))

cosmic81
13th May 2008, 10:01 AM
she is so beautiful! congrat on ur new house memeber!

cosmic81
13th May 2008, 10:04 AM
read ur later message. i am sure Sadie was not socialized enough as a breeding bitch. maybe she thought ur husband was going to harm her by grabbing her suddenly. hopefully she learns to trust her new family soon enough.

i hope ur husband is alright. best wishes!:rah:

Ashley
13th May 2008, 10:41 AM
Oh bless... i've just caught up on this post Eeva. Poor Sadie (and your poor husband too, of course).
How did he respond afterwards? IMO its best to say "No" and then walk away and ignore them. Can be difficult if you have really been hurt, but from experience (and reading) that is best. She's not been with you guys for that terribly long and im sure trust will build up between everyone and she will begin to settle.

Definitely give MT a wee call though. They'll like to know whats happening and will be able to give more advice as they'll know if there was anything from her past that has made her a bit reactive.

Take care x:thmbsup:

ice-cavi
13th May 2008, 11:15 AM
I´m so sorry to hear this.It was what I feared might happen:(
I hope the crew at many tears can help and guide you with Sadie.:xfngr:

Cleo's Person
13th May 2008, 12:35 PM
Oh gosh! I'm sorry your husband was hurt. :xfngr: it wasn't too bad. Have you contacted the Many tears people? Did they have any advice? It would be good if you could find out a bit more about her story, the key to the solution might be there, if you knew what triggered her bad experience you could try to get her to build trust in the rest of your family.

Basil
13th May 2008, 01:03 PM
What a star she is!!! You guys too :) Breaks my heart to know that so many of our little pals are out there being abused.

Gary.