• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you know when "it's time" (old dog)?

chloe92us

I have a 14 YO jack russel terrier mix, who until this week has acted like a much younger dog than her years. She is a typical terrier- yappy, hyper, and defensive of her people. I love her dearly, despite her character flaws and she is a real pleasure, sweet and obedient.

On Saturday night, she screamed in pain and ran into her crate limping and she has only come out to use the bathroom (when I force her) and goes right back in ever since. She's not even barking anymore! Not even when the doorbell rings! I just know she is in pain. She is still eating and drinking, but only in her bed when I bring it to her.

She has a huge "growth" on the base of her tail that, I believe, is now pressing on her spine and causing her pain. I have not taken her to the vet yet, as I'm not sure there's much they can do at this point.

So, my question is; how do you know when "it's time"? With my other pets that I've had to pts it was very black & white. My sheltie became completely paralyzed overnight and could not even stand up to use the bathroom. A cat was mauled by a dog and had to be put down due to serious internal injuries. My poodle, Chloe, had a heart attack in my arms and died. I've never had an animal live 14 years, and feel I am going to have to make this decision soon. My husband keeps saying, "she's going to bounce right back, just like she always does" but eventually she won't!

She's had an abundance of health issues, and just 6 mos ago had to have one of her tumors removed as it erupted, she has seizures, a sensitive stomach, and recently has been throwing up bile occassionally. She's also very sensitive- if you touch her the wrong way, she cries and runs into her bed for a while.

I guess I should be having this conversation with my vet, but I'm just looking for some advice from those of you who have old dogs.

When you have done all you can for your pet and they no longer have their beautiful quality of life than it is time to consider helping them ease their suffering. A pet that can eat,sleep and socialize a bit, no matter how old, is still enjoying life as long as the days are pain free. With your dog now you need to quickly see your vet and get pain relief and then consider the vet's diagnosis relating to lifespan. Please, please get pain relief for you dog ASAP.

You should get your dog to a vet if you feel she is in a lot of pain. I would take my dog to the vet for any type of pain or discomfort or at least call the vet.I'm sure the vet will advise what to do from here on. Take care.

I think you will feel the last moment, when your dog is suffering too much. The vet will help you.
It is very painful, very hard for us to take this decision, but we must do it to stop pain for the dog.
I'll think of you.

I don't think there is an easy answer. It's a decision that none of us looks forward to making and you have to do what you think is best for her.

Just curious ... you mentioned tumors. Our 14 year old Lhasa had a couple that we had removed & biopsied. Luckily they were benigh. Just curious if you had the ruptured tumor biopsied (wondering if maybe this new tumor might be cancer and thus contributing to her rapid decline??).

In any case, I'm sure your vet will have the best advice for you. I wish you lots of luck and courage and you deal with the decisions ahead of you. :hug:

Please: if a dog is in pain, the dog MUST see a vet as soon as you can possibly get her there, don't you think? We would never allow a child to sit at home screaming in pain; so surely we owe this duty of care to a longtime, loved companion -- she deserves to have that pain alleviated, regardless of whether anything else can be done. It is cruel to leave an animal to suffer -- there are many ways of relieving pain and at least making her comfortable, whatever the prognosis. (y)

Also: you need a professional assessment of where she stands right now -- how can a wise, informed decision be made without knowing what is going on and what her prognosis is? icon_nwunsure I'd get her seen right away and then once you have some insight, start to consider her options. (y) I have always found my vets' perspective on when it is time to be the best guide as they generally have the best sense of the level of pain and suffering and the chance of recovery or at least some comfortable time ahead. If they will not be comfortable and will have little quality of life, then that is when I feel it is time. :flwr:

Please please go to the vet, i know what ur thinking i went through something similar with my dog Sam same sort of symtons, even the vet the first time thought he would be better been pts but decided to try him on pain killers and something else. At first it didnt seem to be working but just as i was thinking it wasnt fair on Sam any longer he got better.
I think what im trying to say is it mighten be as bad as u think and even if the worst comes to the worst and she has to pts at least u know that in the end u did the right thing for her and stopped her suffering. After all she cant tell u how bad she really is feeling u have to be the brave one and decide.
I know a yr later the moment came when i had to pts Sam it was one the hardest thing i have had to do, even now it still hits me from time to time but in the end i knew the time was right and i knew in my heart it is what Sam if he could talk would have wanted.
Please go to the vet tomorrow because even if its not as bad as u think the poor dog really needs to be put on something to stop the pain, u really cant leave her suffering.
Let us know what u decide.

Yes l agree with taking her to see a vet, they'll be able to give you painkillers to buy you a little bit more time together if it's cancer, but everything crossed it's not that:xfngr:, it might just be a cyst, keep us posted as to how she's doing

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have to make a decision about when its time to put a loved pet down, but I do know that if my dog were screaming in pain, I would be at the vet asap.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but please get the vet's opinion so your pet doesn't have to suffer with pain.

Thanks everyone. I haven't taken her to the vet because she has had episodes like this in the past as she is very sensitive. Even if we try to cut her nails, she screams like she's dying (and we haven't even touched her yet with the clippers) then runs into her crate for the next few hours.

However, this time it IS different. Not the typical pouting that she normally does. My inlaws are in town so things have been crazy, but since this started on Sunday and she is still acting the same, I will call the vet in the morning.

The growths have been biopsied multiple times (the one that was removed was tested, and we have had samples taken from several of the others and tested) and are NOT cancerous. I just think she has had enough.

I'll let you know what I find out from the vet.

Thanks again for your comments.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I consider myself fortunate that I've only lost 2 animals in my adulthood but I do think we know when it's time. I know what you're saying about her having these episodes in the past but I do think you can tell there is something different going on this time. Please let us know what your vet says tomorrow....will be thinking of you in the meantime.

Back from the vet...good news!

Of course when we all woke up this morning, Prescious was back to her normal self but I took her to the vet first thing anyway. Her knee cap was loose in the socket and there was quite a bit of swelling due to arthritis.

So, the doc gave her a cortisone shot and told me to give her baby aspirin as needed, up to a max of 2 a day for pain. Her tumor is NOT pressing on her spine and she is not in any real pain, except for arthritic stuff, so that's great news.

When I told her I took all the dogs to my dad's house on Saturday (a big piece of property on the water) and they were all running around like mad, she said she overexerted herself and made her arthritis flair up. Told you she's a sensitive one!

Fantastic news. I've had 3 dogs who lived to old age and had arthritis pain. Sometimes with pain med they feel so good-that old 'seize the day' stuff -that they've really overdone the activity. I always found balancing their activity a challenge. I'm sure you left the Vet smiling.:)

Awww I'm so pleased for you Ive had her on my mind all last night and worried for you as to what the vet would say, I'm pleased it's nothing major give her a gentle hug from me (y)

Back