• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

new puppy questions

Hi, I picked my new puppy up on Sunday, so this is our first week together. her name is Holly and she will be 10 weeks on friday.

I have to say she is very good, she has had one minor accident on the mat by the patio door, which was my fault because I didn't get the door open fast enough. I think both her mother and breeder must have given her a great start because she has gone outside since first coming home. I would however like some advice on two things.

1. i want to control where she goes outside( and protect my roses, so i take her on a lead, however she refuses to go when on the lead, if I take her off she immediately heads to the toilet but in a place of her choosing which I do not want. Am I expecting to much? I really want to start as I mean to go on, this evening I've been taking her outside on lead and straight back to her puppy pen if she doesn't go, she has not gone yet. i'm watching her like a hawk and take her out every ten minutes but no luck!

2. I'd like some ideas on how to deal with play biting, she has toys and chew toys, will these help?

many thanks

Toys will definately help with the play biting. Its a natural thing that all puppies go through. I good way to curb this (atleast this is what we did) was whenever our pup started to play bite we always redirected his attention to a toy. If he tried to nip at our hands we said no and moved them away and would not play with him. Its tough cause they do bite hard sometimes but it will go away.

As for going in certain places, they have little stakes to place in the yard to give the pups a point of reference. Also, redirect the pup to where she is to go, keep it up with the lead if necessary. Use prompt words like "go potty" or something along those lines and give loads of PRAISE and a treat if you want when she does do this. It just takes time and more time to get them to learn this. After awhile she will get it down. Plus she is still adjusting to her new home. Give her lots of love, attention and proper training and I am sure she will do great!

Dont you just love pups!

I have a 5 month old and a 12 week old and they are my world!

Thanks,

I think I probably am expecting too much from her and it will take time. I can't believe how anxious I am about her , I didn't know I had it in me. She is great, I took ker for a walk up in my arms down my avenue last night and I met every child in the area as well as more neighbours than I've met since I moved in!! i'm trying to achieve Ian Dunbar's 100 people before she is twelve weeks old,so far we're at thirty. i've heard conflicting things about how soon after her final injections she can go for a walk. What do you all think?

HI and welcome to you and your baby..I got Gus a doggy teething ring when he was a pup it helped with the biting and at 6 and 1/2 years old it is still his favourite toy!

i've heard conflicting things about how soon after her final injections she can go for a walk. What do you all think?

I think they're considered protected 2 weeks after their final injection/s. I didn't take mine out of my patio until after the 2 week time period, just to be safe...

Good luck with your new pup, can't wait to see pictures! :)

hi all,after going in and out to the garden like a looper, (the neighbours must think I'm mad) Holly finally went to the toilet on her lead. Yipee!:D
To say she was praised is putting it mildly.I got so excited i may have frightened her.
I might head to petmania at the weekend to check out teething toys, thanks for the suggestion.
i really have to relax about her!

I want to add that the puppy pen i got from the Dog Training Ireland shop is the greatest thing ever!

I've been a member for several months but i've rarely posted before. The advice and suggestions I have read on this site have been a great preparation for getting Holly. Thanks to everyone who contributes.

whats the puppy pen? is that a crate? or is it for outside? well done with the wee. I started laughing when i read it because i did the same when ruby wee'd for me. I got major over excited to say the least...it is great !!!:xfngr:

Hi Ruby 2,
the puppy pen is like a play pen for babies. it has 8 separate panels that can be connected and set out in different shapes. mine is now in a basic square shape 4 foot by 4 foot. it's set up in one corner of my kitchen.Her crate is inside the pen. if I'm gone for a couple of hours I prefer to leave her in the pen she has more room but as it is still her den the theory is she won't go to the toilet in there.:xfngr: So far so good! Her toys are all in there with her and as soon as I get home she is taken straight outside to the garden. She is crated at night. Did your girl get spayed today?
Hope all is well

Something I found rreally helpful was to yelp whenever she bit me. We started that from when she first arrived and she very rarely mouths even now.

I'll try the yelping next time, I thought about it but I was in the garden enjoying the great weather we are having. Most of my neighbours were in their gardens aswell so i felt a little shy about screaming.:)

Holly did leave me with a scratch, she almost drew blood. I hope this does not seem like a stupid question but should all dog owners keep up to date with their tetnus ( sp) shots. I haven't had one since childhood.

Hi Ruby 2,
the puppy pen is like a play pen for babies. it has 8 separate panels that can be connected and set out in different shapes. mine is now in a basic square shape 4 foot by 4 foot. it's set up in one corner of my kitchen.Her crate is inside the pen. if I'm gone for a couple of hours I prefer to leave her in the pen she has more room but as it is still her den the theory is she won't go to the toilet in there.:xfngr: So far so good! Her toys are all in there with her and as soon as I get home she is taken straight outside to the garden. She is crated at night. Did your girl get spayed today?
Hope all is well
that sounds like a great idea for you. Never heard of the puppy pen like that before. yes ruby is spayed thank god since yesterday and doing great. Photos are on my thread...if you want to take a look.....your pen has the same sort of idea as my downstairs bathroom where ruby has her room...I have her bed in the corner and a baby safety gate at the door, so it would be about the same size as your pen then....:)

Back