• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brand new!

ChristyB

Hey everyone! Just wanted introduce myself and my baby. I'm Christy, currently a college student in Kentucky, and I just got my first puppy, Tucker. He's 12 weeks old now and I've had him for two and a half weeks. So far, he's been golden. We looked at four puppies, but he crawled in my lap and fell asleep and that was that. He's a smart boy so far, doing great with housebreaking (although he figured out the doggy door a little sooner than I would have liked and now chases our labs outside every five minutes, so I'm constantly running to put shoes on and supervise) and training. Crate training started off a little rocky, but now he's got the hang of it (although he still gets to sleep with me most nights).

I'm just so excited to finally have him....I've been researching and talking to breeders for about a year before I finally found the one I thought was best, and had to drive eight hours to get him. He's my twenty-first birthday present from my mom and pretty much the love of my life.

The only thing I'm having trouble with him with is going outside when its raining...I can take him outside every 15 minutes and he still has accidents! He just refused to go outside in the rain. I guess he'll just have to get used to it...

Anyways, I'm excited to have my very first Cavalier! They are such a wonderful breed. I can't wait to see what he'll do this summer at the lake (hopefully he'll be the swimming sort).

Nice to meet you guys, and I've gotten tons of great advice already from reading the posts!

Hello
Welcome and best wishes ,used to love going on hols to my Aunt and Uncles house they lived just outside Covington ,Kentucky is a very green and beautiful state.

Rgds

Brian ,Dawn & Luke

plus Poppy (Tri) Daisy (Blen) & Rosie (Ruby)

and

Ami & Tammi (my white cats)

Hi Christy and welcome! Contgrats on turning 21 and on your new baby Tucker.
You must post some pictures of him soon! :snap:

icon_welcome to the board! May I wish you a Tucker a long happy life together. Cleo, whose 2, still hates going outside in the rain :rolleyes: so :xfngr: your Tucker will outgrow this!

hi and welcome.....Ruby didnt like going out in the rain either...I used to go out with her in the rain and stand there like a pleb. I think now when it is raining, which i might say is alot in ireland.....that it is great especially at night when i send her out for her wee and im standing there waiting with the treat and clicker, well when it is raining she will do her business very fast and run in out of the rain, so it is quite good once you get your dog trained a bit...I think they will still go out even if it is raining because they have to go out to do their business.
It was hard enought to train ruby. it took alot of time and patience because as you know they wont wee in front of you unless they are comfortable with you..I used to stand with ruby for a maximum of 1 hour and 15 mins one night but once she got the hang of it she was great.
you are doing great...happy birthday and congratulations on your new puppy.:lotsaluv:

The only thing I'm having trouble with him with is going outside when its raining...I can take him outside every 15 minutes and he still has accidents! He just refused to go outside in the rain. I guess he'll just have to get used to it...

Hi and congrats on your 21st and your new puppy! As for going to the bathroom in the rain, my Miles didn't like to go either. I would take him out, he wouldn't go to the bathroom outside in the rain, but as soon as I brought him in he would go on the floor :rolleyes: Here's what worked for me: I would take him out in the rain, and if he didn't "go" outside, he would be put back in his crate for 15 minutes. Then back outside again, if he didn't go, it was back in the crate. As soon as he went to the bathroom outside he could have some playtime inside, not in the crate. He caught on very quickly and now has no problem "going" outside in the rain. Good luck! :)

Haley came to live with us the end of Oct. with cold rain so I purchased a puppia raincoat with hood. She does not mind going out as long as she is covered. I too like a fool stood out with her but if she thinks I'm afraid of the rain she will never catch on. Hope this helps. I also have always used the words "go pee pee" so I would say "go pee pee" and now knows exactly what is expected of her. I had a cocker spaniel who I would say that to and within seconds she would go.

At 10 months if she has to go she jumps on my lap and back down and looks at me with those beautful eyes and when I say do you want to go outside, she gets excited (as do I) because she is now telling me she needs to relieve herself.

Hi Christy,

I too am dealing with the rain issue. Annie is 10 weeks old and is doing great but does NOT like her little paws wet. I just stand there under a big umbrella and wait, and she is already learning "potty" and does her businsess pretty quick and then runs back to the back door. If raining hard it is a long wait outside. Can't imagine life without our new baby.

Martha

Welcome to another Louisvillian!

Hi Christy, welcome to you and Tucker. I can't believe there's another person from Louisville here--and our pups are around the same age, too. I live in the Highlands with my new puppy Thomas and a host of cats. :)

I think it's hilarious that Tucker won't go out into the rain--neither will Tom. I joke that I'm going to have to put up a tent of some sort in the back to keep the little Prince's feet dry. ;)

Welcome to the boards!

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and your advice! I'm definitely going to have to try your suggestions for the rain issue!

He had his first vet visit on Wednesday and weighed in at 6.9 lbs. Which was good because he was a little too skinny when he came home, so now he's just right I think!

Back