• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

has anyone heard of hills science plan food?

ruby2

Has anyone heard of hills science plan food.? I want to change ruby's food once she is over her spay. I want to make sure she is getting all the proper vitamins etc. My local vet has this one in stock so im wondering has anyone else used it???? Dont ask me what i have her on at the moment???? Because i know everyone would give out to me.......:eek:

Hills science plan is a very bland food and gentle on the tummy, most vets recommend it as they get paid "adversting" costs for encouraging owners to have it, it is also very expensive!

i have my 2 on burns which is all natural no added c##p and full of everything a dog needs, my 2 love it costs £6 for a bag which lasts us a week

I don't think Hills is one of the better quality foods out there...there are a TON of threads on food on this site if you do a search, but I know many people talk about Royal Canin, Burns and James Wellbeloved (sp?) as being high quality foods (real meats and no fillers) if you want to feed dry kibble. There are other options such as homecooked and raw if you wanted to try something other than kibble...When I shop for kibble for my cats I always look at the ingredients and make sure the first 3-4 ingredients are high quality (no by-products) real meats...Good luck, there are a lot of choices out there! :flwr:

It used to be one of the expensive-as-they're-vets-only foods, but is now stocked by Pets at Home, though not in all variations.

thanks. I do feed ruby food such as chicken and potatoes etc but i also feed her....................................................i hate to even say it...............................................pedigree puppy!!!!!!!! the only reason being that she was on it as a puppy when i got her and i agrees with her, but i know its not too good and that i should be giving her something better. Everyone says different things. I have read alot of the threads on raw and ordinary, as in our own dinner, meat potatoes etc.... and then the dry foods. I am going to change her when she is over the spay etc.....is pedigree really that awful bad???:eek:

Yeah, Pedigree is pretty bad. I just looked up the ingredients to Pedigree Puppy Dry and they are, in order: corn, rice, vegetable protein, meat and meat by-products, tallow...

Not good...fillers and poor quality meats. I'm glad you're open to switching her to something of a higher quality that has more nutrients. I think most people here woukld agree that as far as kibble goes, RC, Burns and JW are pretty good . You can transition her from Pedigree to the new food so it won't be such a big change all at once. I know the pet food store by me has tons of free samples, so you can try out several types of food to see what your dog will like and what agrees with their system. Good luck! :)

yes thats actually a very good idea. i will try some samples...do many of you feed your dogs what we are eating. My mother always fed her dog a cavalier the same as their dinner and she never had her at the vet once since her vaccinations and spay and she is 9 years of age..She would get potatoes veg meat etc anything from mince to steak!!!!

well, considering Im hopeless at home cooking - our two never have had the novelty of enjoying a good Sunday roast! Millie is really fond of prawn crackers though :D - she knows that they are on the way when the doorbell goes on a Friday night!

I don't feed mine what we make for meals, but since mine eat a combination of raw meat plus veggies and other things such as eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin, olive oil, etc. I guess you could say that they eat a lot of people food...it's just not cooked. Every once in a while we'll give them a little piece of cooked fish or chicken if there's any extra, but it's not their main meal, just a little treat - we don't want them to start begging :rolleyes: I'm not sure how healthy it is to give your dog what you're eating as their main meal...they have different nutritional requirements that people do...

well, considering Im hopeless at home cooking - our two never have had the novelty of enjoying a good Sunday roast! Millie is really fond of prawn crackers though :D - she knows that they are on the way when the doorbell goes on a Friday night!

thats funny....:jump: thought we were all supposed to be really sensible and feed these cavaliers really well.! hee hee...I thought only i did things like that........ p.s. dont tell anyone !!!!!!

Fish4Dogs make prawn biscuits, now. I got mine this morning and they went down very well. they are only small approx 1cm cubes and were free with a box of jerky.

Back