• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm devastated. I just found out my puppy came from a puppy mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmom

Hello everyone, please let me introduce myself. I am in my late 20's, I have two adult cats, and I have a Bachelor's degree. All of my life I have owned cats and I am a huge animal lover. For several years I have wanted to adopt a dog as I have never owned one of my own before. My mother's dog that we had both cared for had just passed away at 16. I was totally depressed over the loss of our dog and wanted a new companion of my own.

I went to several local shelters looking for a puppy because my boyfriend said that would be best as I wanted to get a dog I could socialize to my cats (not already in the habit of chasing cats.) Mainly I wanted a Cavalier - I have wanted one for many years. None of the local shelters had any.

I started doing research online and I found a "celebrity" puppy boutique that had tons of positive/great references and even "Sharon Osborne" and her family had bought a couple of dogs and I believe at least 1 Cavalier from this company. They advertised that their dogs come from "private breeders" and are "very well cared for." I was so stupid and naive to believe this hype!

I purchased my puppy in April for $2,000. She was 3 months old at the time. As soon as she came home she got sick! First she was diagnosed with coccidia and giardia. As if that was not bad enough two weeks later she came down with pneumonia! The owner of the company I got her from reimbursed me for the parasite treatment and is in the process of reimbursing me for the pneumonia.

As you can imagine the past month that I have had her has been full of tears, regret, and eye opening awareness about the choice I made to purchase her from this company. I had absolutely NO idea that this girl was from a puppy mill. I started to suspect it though because of all her ailments. I went online and found out this company has sold sick dogs in the past! I was FLOORED that I did not research them more. How could I have been so stupid. ME the ANIMAL LOVER of all time, who ABHORS puppy mills. I NEVER would have thought this company would WITHHOLD information aka LIE and tell me no way did she come from a puppy mill!!!

Well I received her registration papers yesterday. Her parents are AKC registered but the company who sold her to me originally got her from some dealer in OKLAHOMA! A DEALER! And the breeder must have sold my pup to the dealer first and then the dealer sold her to the company I bought her from. This is EXACTLY (from what I have read) the trend of how puppies are shipped from place to place!

Needless to say I am so depressed, regretful and crying all the time over this. I cannot believe she is from a puppy mill. How could the AKC even have registered her parents? I just ordered a three generation pedigree on the parents. They both have "elite" sounding names like as if they come from a breeder who shows dogs. Also I am currently waiting to hear back from petshoppuppies.org to find more information about WHERE she came from exactly.

Please I need some kind of advice or support about how to get over this. Needless to say this has been one of the most difficult times in my life to realize I have inadvertently supported a puppy mill operation. I cannot tell you the amount of regret I live with daily. It is so hard for me even to enjoy my new puppy because she is first of all recovering from her problems, secondly because when I look at her all I can think of is puppy mills, and third I am so scared about the future health/heart problems I am VERY LIKELY to have to deal with because I have no idea what health condition her PARENTS are in!!!

Why didn't I know about all of this BEFORE I bought her? Why couldn't the puppy mill issue have been something I knew about intimately? Why did I have to go through this horrible experience to learn about what puppy mills are? Why was I such an idiot to believe some company that had SO MANY GOOD REFERENCES? Finally, how could so many people buy from pet stores not knowing what they are IN FOR with these dogs? Not knowing that their parents are treated like MACHINES and not loved and cared for like they deserve???

Even if my puppy's breeder had dogs from healthy bloodlines, how could she have sold my puppy to a DEALER and not known or CARED where she was going???

I am crying as I write this. I am so sorry to all of you breeders who do care about your dogs and where they go. I am sorry I was so stupid I did not know I could have just bought my puppy from one of you. :(

l_296ea2449e3ae3c7ab3b6924cbb50774.jpg
l_5a58e74532fc0daff85a15e0130a6dca.jpg
l_367387e6d58df0e8352ba55dceee564a.jpg
l_8f11526992d3693f336c8e3d3ed88cbb.jpg

I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I guess the only advice I can give is just to love your adorable girl since there's nothing you can do to change the past now. Just consider it a lesson learned the hard way and now you are well educated about puppy mills, share this info with friends and family who may be considering purchasing a puppy.

You sound like a very caring animal lover and shouldn't be beating yourself over this, what is done is done. Just enjoy your puppy and know that you will give her the best home possible despite her rough start in life.

:hug:

Listen, don't beat up on yourself so much. You made a mistake and all you can do is learn from it. Although you may have supported a puppymill, and I am not telling people to go out and do that, your puppy is very lucky that you chose her- and she sure is a cutie! All you can do now is share your knowledge with others who are thinking about buying a pet from a pet store.

your puppy is adorable, I hope she will feel better and you will have a long and happy life with her. we all get fooled from time to time. much aloha

I'm going to close this thread as you have a duplicate in the introductions section; then people can follow this link and post there in reply:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=24811

(y)

I have given you a link to some legal options you may have though you'd need to proceed fairly quickly; it sounds like you are getting reimbursed, but I'd be notifying whatever authorities are possible to notify as well. :flwr:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back