• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Something under the Shed

Brian M

Hi
Being quite a large animal loon ,and very often preferring my animal friends to most people a little dilemma has arisen for which i would like no injury to anybody involved.You see we have a guest and he or she has taken up residence under the garden shed ,lets call him he , he only comes out on rare occasions like this afternoon when Dawn wanted to get out of the shed the lawnmower but just as she approached he stuck his head out but Dawn clapped and he popped back in but she gets a bit nervous.The other problem is i
don't want the girls involved at all as they might pick up an infection and my two elderly cats have a quick sniff then wander off ,so i know hes there and so does Dawn and the dogs and the catsall do, so any ideas how we get him to move on without offending him or hurting him. I think he stays as i feed a flock of goldfinch ,tits and lots of other birds so any food that falls to the floor Roland must be partial to.Any Ideas ?

Hi
He is Roland ,nose to tail hes about 350 mm or 14-16" hes quite handsome and his name of course is Roland The" Rat "(y)

You can get a no-kill trap, use some peanut butter as bait, and once you trap him, drive him a good few miles away. Often though if there's one, there are many.

OMG get rid quick- which ever way you chose to do it just do! They are seldom on their own and you dont want a plague! Yikes!

Just wait until he moves in the wife and family!!!!!!:eek: Rats are filthy,they carry nasty bacteria which can cause weils disease from their urine.I wouldn't set traps as they could injure the dogs.Try a live trap and feed the birds from a bird table if possible,you could try one of those ultrasonic devices which may scare him off,might also annoy doggies though.
Sins

sorry to say this but i bet he's not alone under there!! You can buy ultra-sound device things from pets at home (and many other shops)that you plug in, apparently they let off a sound that only rats can here and they quickly relocate, it is totally humane and they are only about £10 or so well worth it in my opinion:)

We have a ratatoui in our garden , i'm having a hard time convincing my mother we cannot keep it as a pet!

i have just bought a humane trap. so far i've caught a starling & a blackbird & something keeps eating the food but not setting off the trap ( mice?)
a cinamon danish , 5 biscuits & some bacon have dissapeared.

I accidently bought two traps from ebay so might have one spare if you want to buy one

I am with Sallymum that I have no great love for rats. I appreciate that all creatures have a place and purpose in this world but some are harmful and destructive if left to get out of hand.

Rats will eat, bite, or tear up whatever they come across as it is part of their quest to take over the world. :yikes An aquaintance in a neighboring city had a nest of them in her garage and they tore up the washer/dryer appliance hoses, then proceeded to get up into the engine of their Mercedes and eat through all of the wiring. They can carry a variety of diseases in their feces and fleas which would not be a good thing for your family or dogs.

Me thinks it is time that you pack little Roland's bags and encourage him to take up residence elsewhere. Just my humble opinion of course. :D

sorry to say this but i bet he's not alone under there!! You can buy ultra-sound device things from pets at home (and many other shops)that you plug in, apparently they let off a sound that only rats can here and they quickly relocate, it is totally humane and they are only about £10 or so well worth it in my opinion:)

Gem,

I have read that these devices may discourage rodents for a brief period of time. After a while, they get used to the sound and come back.
I had a bunch of them plugged in around the house (to discourage ants from coming in). Because of our rising electric rates, I decided to get rid of the devices.

IMO, a bit of well placed rat bait is the solution to this problem.... :eek:

I used to have two rats as pets (albeit very different from wild rats)... but they were MUCH better than hamsters or mice or rabbits ANYDAY!!! :)

Good luck with getting rid of your visitor... humanely! ;)

ok im not even going there...a rat !!!!!:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

I hate rats. We thought we had one in our shed before...We ended up having to remove the shed!!!!!!! They were under the shed! I wont say how many....Oh my god my skin is crawling just thinking about it......
get rid quickly!!!!!

Hi
No sign today ,i have electricity in the shed so i have bought 2 sonic pest mover on gadgets and plugged them in down there and i have left a nice polite note asking him to move to a better area ,i am also going to PAH in the morning for evening primrose oil so i will buy a humane trap and then some kippers from Asda with the intent of doing a live catch if hes not taken my hint to move and i will move him a good few miles into the country , i couldn't poison him or her.He must have some courage as we have two well fed cats who sniff round there, but seriously hes got to because of his fleas and other nasties they have :cool:

Oh Brian - I KNOW how you feel.

We were in the garden on saturday and Joel spotted a "roland" - it was white with brown marking so we thought it was a loose "pet" - Joel tried to capture it but NOPE in found a hole underneath ourcellar window about the size of a 50p coin and up into the 1/2 metre thick wall it went!:eek:

However, about 2 hours later after we had nipped to the local pub - what did I see running along the front of our houses on the main road - Yes - the same Roland!

The hole is well and truly plugged!

We've had lots of luck with the live traps and relocation, but only for mice, chipmunks, and a little variety of prairie dogs we had when we lived in Iowa. Thankfully never had a rat, but it seems like it work for them, too. Unless they are a lot smarter than the rest.

Good luck!

Hi
I haven't seen my four legged friend for six days ,i think hes packed his bags and moved on ,i did put a humane trap out but caught absolutely nothing so i think thats a nice ending.

Oh Brian - I KNOW how you feel.

We were in the garden on saturday and Joel spotted a "roland" - it was white with brown marking so we thought it was a loose "pet" - Joel tried to capture it but NOPE in found a hole underneath ourcellar window about the size of a 50p coin and up into the 1/2 metre thick wall it went!:eek:

However, about 2 hours later after we had nipped to the local pub - what did I see running along the front of our houses on the main road - Yes - the same Roland!

The hole is well and truly plugged!

how do you know it was the same rat??? MAYBE IT WAS HIS TWIN!!:jump:

Back