• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Could do with a little advice,in a bit of a quandry?

Rj Mac

Hi guys, hope everyone's well,

As you guys know it was through this wonderful community that we found Megs, our Rescue girl,

Anyway, the reason I'm posting tonight is, earlier on today we were at the Scottish Kennel Clubs dog show in Edinburgh, and on our way home thought we'd pop into the Dogs Trust rescue kennels, we sometimes pop in to hand in a bag of food,and treats, and bits and bobs,

While we were there we decided to have a wander round the kennels, where we spotted a German Shepard who was the complete double of our late Rebel....OMG,just like the lad on Many tears too, so off we went to enquire......just out of curiosity of course,but it turned out he's been booked,

After explaining to the lady who was on the desk about our home, our dogs, and especially Megan, and her background......., to the happy calm well adjusted girl she now is....

They produced their dogs due in folder, and pulled out a file, with a Beagle girl in it called Belle, her background is very similar to Megs by the sound of things, and they are looking for an experienced home.....talk about tugging on the old heart strings, so we have agreed to meet her, which means when she comes in, we'l go meet her.....all of us, see if she likes us, and all the dogs are ok with oneanother, she's not due there until 3rd of June, so gives us plenty of time to think things through, now we weren't even thinking of getting another dog, this is a complete bolt from the blue,allthough we definately have the space, and when we went from 2 dogs to 3 there was really no difference in having 3 instead of 2, but how about having 4? if anyone has any thoughts,comments or ideas, they'l all be greatly appreciated

But she is beautiful, those big sad beagle eyes were just staring straight out the photograph

We have a house move on the cards this year probably in the summer, and I'm not sure if it's the best time to be adding to our brood, we know we can give her a good home here, I just wouldn't want to do anything that would be detremental to the dog, but as I said, we have only agreed to meeting her, and there's no commitment from either side yet

Why don't you go meet her and see what you think of her, you might get a better idea if you see what she's like, but if you're anything like me she'll be coming home with you, Ive got 3 dogs too
Good luck with whatever you choose to do

If you live on an estate and are semi detached I don't recommend a beagle.Alas, they don't bark, they bay and howl and it's an uneartlly sound that will get you in trouble with your neighbours:neutral:
I actually moved house over a beagle belonging to my next door neighbour, other neighbours threatened bodily harm to the unfortunate pup and ended up placing the matter with their solicitors.The dog ended up being placed in a dogs rescue in Mallow.
They're lively and very pretty but can be noisy.You can understand why I'm biaised against the breed...
Only you can decide if it's suitable for your home.The fact that you're moving shouldn't put you off,but research the breed first and find out why the beagle was surrendered.
Sins

Also, you should know (maybe you probably already do) that beagles are notorious for escaping fences and running away. Lots and lots of beagles end up in shelters for that very reason -- it's very hard to keep them in. My husband had a beagle when we began dating and he never barked unless my husband was home. If someone came to the door when no one was home, not a peep from him. But if someone came to the door when John was home it was baying at the moon time. He was a very sweet dog, but a total glutton! He'd eat everything from Halloween candy to June bugs! Constantly starving.

Good luck to you and her! Let us know what you decide.

Also, you should know (maybe you probably already do) that beagles are notorious for escaping fences and running away.

Not trying to sway you one way or another, but I can attest to this. My neighbours across the way have a beagle puppy and I can't count the number of times I've taken that dog back to his yard. There is no way to get under the fence, so he must be jumping the 5 foot fence. He is a cutie though and I don't find him too noisy - just when people walk by. I imagine if they spent more time with him while he was outside he wouldn't jump or bark so much.

Ah yes, the beagle.:rolleyes: We have a little beagle "Chloe" who lives next door. When we brought Dottie home and out to our back yard the first time, Chloe heard us and let loose with that mournful Woooo-woooooo-Woooooo, (which is quite unique to the breed.) Dottie flew through the air, landed in my lap and looked at me like, "What the heck was that, and PLEASE make it GO AWAY!"

We finally had to go next door and introduce the girls. Now Dottie could care less when Chloe comes outside for her nightly baying and howling at the moon. Doesn't really bother me all that much but alot of the other neighbors are not amused. Truthfully though, she only sounds off when her family has gone out for the evening, but their backyard looks like a minefield, she has chewed the furniture and ripped up carpet. Chloe should be a poster child for the Vari-Kennel crate company.:D

Just be prepared for all of this when you make your decision and you can decide if you are up to the task! So glad there are people like you who are there to rescue and care for those precious dogs that do need a home though!!

I am sure that, like most dogs, if properly trained and given due attention and exercise, a beagle can be a loving, well-behaved companion. The key, though, is to know if you can provide that type of home for the type of dog. Most beagles need quite a bit of exercise. They can be high-energy dogs, and they need a great deal more exercise than a cavalier. I'd also suggest they need more exercise than a shepherd, especially if the beagle is still young. A lot of beagle owners don't realize that the dogs need so much exercise, which results in frustrated owners and dogs that destroy, bark, dig, and escape.

Also, beagles are quite smart dogs. Not only do they need exercise, they need stimulation. They can get bored fast, so if they aren't tired from plenty of exercise, they'll make their own exercise through often destructive "games."

Beagles are also under control of their noses. One difficulty with training beagles, even though they are smart, is that they have a hard time NOT following scents and smells. They are bred for tracking, so any beagle owner needs to be prepared for a dog that loses its senses to follow a trail ALL the time.

That said, a beagle whose needs are well met can be a lovely companion dog. They can be loyal and loving; very sweet, and often good with kids. They key is knowing if you can realistically meet a beagle's needs. If you are not a highly active home with plenty of time to work on training one-on-one, it might be a time to pass. It just depends on how well you match the dog's needs.

I have 4 dogs and it was little trouble going from 2 to 3 and then four months later, going from 3 to 4 dogs. You just get in a routine and at feeding time.

There is a lot of good advice already written about beagles. I have had a basset hound which is in the same hound family. They LOVE to bark for any reason. If a move is in your future, you will want to consider how close you will be living to your neighbors. When I lived in the city, my neighbors didn't appreciate my basset hound's joy of barking. icon_blshing

My basset hound would also pick up a scent and follow it. When she did that her hearing turned OFF. She would not come if she was called. I would have to run after her and tap her on the back and she would jump, because she didn't know I was there. She literally never heard me, because she was smelling something wonderful. Luckily with a basset, they don't move fast, so I could always catch her. I have a feeling that beagles move much faster. :dogwlk:
Now that I live in the country and no close neighbors, I'll definitely have another basset hound in my future. They are so loving and friendly to everyone.

Last edited:
Back