• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting a 2nd puppy? Advice needed.

Phoebe

Hello there, our little girl is now ten months old and we are seriously thinking about getting another Cavalier girl. Originally we were going to wait until Phoebe was a bit older, but I've spoken to her breeder and she has a seven month old available now. She sounds lovely, and obviously she would be fully house trained, she is trained to walk on a lead, has had all her jabs etc. I've been reading up on having two pups close in age and I'm aware that they should be trained, fed and walked individually. I have no problems coping with the extra work involved, I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing by both dogs. Over the next year, Phoebe will be left alone for a few hours in the day as our work commitments increase and I believe she would enjoy the company of another dog........not to mention the fact that I would love the extra cuddles that would be going around! Anyway, I would really appreciate hearing about the experiences of others regarding adopting a second pup and also any advice that you can offer. Thanks in advance:p

Two are always fun, but I wouldn;t get a dog just for her company if that is your main reason not to wait. A dog should easily be able to remain alone for a few hours daily from early on (it is good to train them to be comfortable with this from early on :)). Have you done obedience with Phoebe? If she has had no training at all, I would be very cautious about a second dog -- trying to train two from scratch at the same time generally means you will end up with two not very well trained dogs. I found it very hard to ever give both of mine proper time and training and I got my second at the point when Jaspar was 9 months -- and already had done a training course. I totally underestimated the real demands and as a result Leo has had almost no training still; and never really got enough one on one time when he was younger. :(I do really try now to give him some alone time with me each week and did do a class with him too, but if I'd had Jaspar a bit longer, better trained, and more mature, I'd have had the time to give to Leo to also bring him to the same standard.

I think it is wise to listen to what most breeders and trainers say -- wait til at least 12 months and 18 months is better. If you really feel you honestly will give both that extra time then perhaps (but you are also saying you will both be around less in future?). Housetraining isn't really the issue, it is the one on one time and the obedience work. Also it actually isn't too likely she will be fully housetrained at only 7 months -- usually it takes about a year. Having two the same age is fine -- :) -- I'd be more cautious about having several around the same age.

Just my perspective having been there, ignored the advice, and now firmly believing this was the wrong decision to have made. That said it isn't as if anything terrible will happen, but i do think it offers a lower quality of home life to two dogs just when the first is at the age when she would most benefit from the focused time as a young, smart adult dog.

Back