• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poor Dylan isn't well again.

*Pauline*

The same old thing, upset tummy again. While I was on holiday I had him on Royal Canin Intestinal as I didn't want the kids to have to deal with any upset tums while they looked after him. I don't like giving this food all the time as it's canned and I prefer a mix of soft and dry food for the sake of his teeth. Anyway, it's my fault because, when I came back, I switched to his usual mix of Nature diet and JWB and he has had diarrhoea since, keeping me up with toilet trips and showers through the night. I am starving him today and have got him a prebiotic from the vet called Pro-Kolin, it's good stuff. He has been so sweet today, not nagging for food and sleeping more but still up for games, kisses and cuddles :)

By the way, Royal Canin Intestinal food does come in a dry form too but he won't touch it.

Hi

When Poppy had an upset tummy last year my vet suggested Turkey meat (Sainsburys) and Potato for 10 days then when she had recovered a slow introduction back onto Burns which is what she was eating at that time .It worked as fine.I hope Dylan gets well soon its a horrible thing to have

i know how you feel vegas had diarhea for 6 days we were up through the night and he was also being sick but i hope dylan feels better soon, which he will but it does'nt stop us being worried you just cant carry on with your everyday things the same when they are not well

I hope Dylan is okay soon! :flwr: When we went out of town last year Miles got really sick and had to be put on Hills I/D, which I did not like him being on, but it was the only thing he could tolerate for almost 2 weeks. I eventually weaned him off of that and onto chicken/rice, then very slowly back to his normal diet. Feel better Dylan!!! :xfngr:

Thanks for the well wishes. Dylan is sleeping on the door mat in the kitchen, this is where he sits while I make up his dinner, think he's trying to tell me he's hungry. He was on Nature Diet and JWB before I went on holiday, I changed to RC I/D just in case. So switching back didn't seem a bad idea. My dad got him some chicken breast and I'll be boiling that with some rice for dinner tonight. I just feel I can't go out and leave him have an accident. On Sunday night I left him in his dog pen for the evening and had a friend visit to let him out to toilet but when I came home he messed all over the rug and his fur shorts.

oh poor wee fellow, I hope he will be much better soon.

I too have heard of some dogs reacting to JWB, but I think it might be one of the ingredients rather than the brand - some dogs just can't tolerate certain ingredients.

I'm not totally sure he is allergic to something or that JWB doesn't agree with him as he can go for days on it and be fine. Maybe it is possible to have a delayed reaction.

I think I have to stick to the Royal Canin I'D now and make sure I brush his teeth carefully. It's very expensive at £1.70 a tin.

Poor little Dylan! He (and you) have been through so much with his sensitive tummy. Do you think this could be an after effect from that tummy bug he was treated for before? I wonder if it changed his sensitivity to foods that he previously didn't have problems with.

The reason I ask, is that my friend had a food poisoning that caused her to be hospitalized for treatment a few years ago, and even though she is still relatively healthy, she is allergic to almost everything now and has to be on a very specialized diet. Before the food toxicity incident she could eat EVERYTHING and had no allergies. Her allergist said that they are finding that this systemic change after food toxicity is more common than they originally thought.

Anyway, hope he is feeling right very soon, and keep the updates coming. We all LOVE Dylan!

Upset Tummy

My Rosie has been going through this as well although it doesn't seem to be diet related. Her stools get very mucousy and bloody.My vet is leaning towards colitis but only a biopsy will confirm. For now she is on low residue food with titrating doses of Metronidazole :(. Good luck to you and Dylan.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

I gave Dylan rice and boiled chicken at 6pm yesterday having skipped breakfast so he hasn't done any number 2's since the fast. I didn't think he was drinking enough so instead of boiling the chicken and rice together, I did the chicken separately and when the stock had cooled, I put that in his water bowl, he LOVED it and drank it in one go.

That's very interesting hbmama, that might be what's happening.

Well I don't have any good news to report. I fasted Dylan, then only gave him chicken and rice, took him until this evening to do a poo and it was bright yellow and like mousse. He stopped right by a traffic jam with a bus beside me to do it, it went all over his shorts, he stepped in it and I couldn't really get all of it up in the bag, I was a bit embarrassed.

I passed my dad on the way to town and told him what had happened and he went and did my errands in town.

Called the vet and asked to just have the antibiotics over the counter without the £23 consultation, they are the best but the most expensive in town. I said I'd have to go elsewhere if I had to pay £23 and she asked to vet to do it as a follow up at £15.

I hate starving him. But he won't be able to eat until the vet sees him tomorrow afternoon.

He is however full of life today:rolleyes:

One vet always tells me 12 hours and to space the meals 12 hours apart, to rest the system the other says 24 hours fast. This time I was told 12 but in fact I did 24.

Sorry to hear he's not better yet. I absolutely hate it when my dog is sick (or my kids)! It's scary, stressful, and messy all in one.

I hope he makes a turnaround for the better soon! :xfngr:

Back