PDA

View Full Version : Considering a rescue dog

cavpal
21st May 2008, 05:00 AM
I am the proud momma of an 18 month old CKCS called Lola. I normally work just 1 day a week in the city centre so she is only on her own once a week for a few hours (depending on when my fiance comes home, he's a Garda so works different shifts.) Anyway, my work place has informed me that come October they will be looking at increasing my office days to 3 so this means more 'alone time' for Lola. We are considering getting a rescue dog to keep Lola company for the hours that I won't be there. (We're talking max 8hrs a day, 3 days a week and possibly more in the future if my company decides I'm needed in the office more). Is this a good idea? The thought of leaving Lola on her own for so long worries me as she is so sociable and I would be concerned about possible destructive behaviour (barking, chewing etc.) a companion seems the ideal solution and rescuing a dog is something that really appeals to us but we are only in the 'considering' stage so nothing is definite. We are also having some construction done to the house later this summer so would not be in a position to take on a new arrival for a couple of months anyway.

Does anyone out there have any advice on the best way to go about this, preparing ourselves and our current dog for a new arrival etc?
Should we go through with it, based on the info I've given? Sorry if I'm asking silly questions but I really want to do the best thing for all concerned (including the possible future family member!)

P.S.: If this is not the correct area to ask this I apologise!

Ashley
21st May 2008, 11:04 AM
I would firstly say that it is great that you are considering taking on a rescue, but please make sure that the MAIN reason is not for 'company for Lola'. Bare in mind that this rescue is a rescue for a reason, and whilst some dogs' owners have been genuinely unable to care for them, others have been abused, severely mistreated, have anxiety or aggression issues etc. You would need to be able to commit a lot of time to this dog before leaving them both alone together. That is, of course, just my opinion. I only have the one dog at the moment, but will have a rescue dog joining us soon. Whilst I believe that it will be nice for Holly to have the company... I know there is a lot more to it.
I'm certainly not saying you havent thought all this through :). I just wanted to remind you that you said you couldnt get another dog for a while, but after a while your shifts will be increasing, right around the time the new dog will need more time....
Im new to rescues though - so im sure someone will have some better advice!

Good luck if you do decide to get a rescue. There are just so many out there that I just wish I could help them all! :(

Karlin
21st May 2008, 12:25 PM
Definitely get a second because you want and are ready to give the time to a second dog (just like it isn't a good idea to have another child just so the first can have a sibling! There's a lot more involved with two). :thmbsup: Send me a PM with your phone number and I can talk to you -- I run Irish Cavalier Rescue so can talk you through the possibilities and what to think about. :)

cavpal
21st May 2008, 03:22 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies. Obviously one reason we're considering getting a second dog is to have company for the first dog but I would never consider even taking on another animal unless I was sure I could give it the time and care it will need. I do believe getting a second dog is something that will happen for us eventually and getting a resuce is something we are very interested in doing. Of course it is a rescue for a reason and maybe scarred emotionally, physically etc but we are hopeful we can find one that will be happy to become a member of our family and that we can offer a good, happy, long life.
Lola is something of a resce dog herself. Her mother's owner didn't know she was pregnant until the pups came along. She managed to rehome the siblings but Lola was on her way to the pound when I heard aboutu it and decided to take her on. I'd never owned a Cav before but had Border Collies and German Shepherds growing up. Well this little girl has changed my opinion on small dogs overnight, she is the most loving, affectionate, sweet natured creature I have ever come across!
TBH it will probably be the New Year 2009 before we are in a position to take another dog in (hopefully) but I like to plan in advance and consider all the options. We are having construction work done to the house so I don't think bringing a nervous new dog into that environment could be a good idea. I am usually off work for most of the month of December anyway so could probably take a dog in then. BUT... I don't want the new dog to get used to me being there all the time because in reality I won't be there ALL the time, I unfortunately have to work!! :)
There's a just a lot of things to weigh up before bringing a new dog (particularly a rescue) into our home and I want to make sure we're doing the right thing, have thought of everything etc etc!