• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers & other pets

Hello

What are your opinions regarding Cavaliers and Rabbits mixing happily and safely in a household.
I have 2 large house rabbits and we would like to own a dog, I was drawn to Cavaliers because of their sweet nature but having searched through a few threads that talk about their prey instinct I’m not sure what to think. Is it dependant on the temperament of the dog that matters most?

I would never leave any dog unsupervised with my rabbits but it would be nice if they were able to mix when we are around, although I do realise it will take time to achieve this is not something I expect to happen straight away.
I have seen photos of Cavs and rabbits snuggled up together and many people on Rabbit Forums have dogs & rabbits together (always supervised) so I'm hoping it's not impossible :)

We did hope to give a home to an adult rescue dog rather than a puppy.

I be glad to hear any thoughts you may have and hear from any owners whose Cavaliers share their homes with other pets. :winkct:

Thanks
Debs

Last edited:
I am just so certain someone on thas board (although it may be the other board I'm on) has rabbits that do just fine with their dog. Hopefully he/she will come along.

Quite honestly, I think most Cavaliers can learn to co-exist just fine with other pets if introduced slowly and watched carefully in the beginning. There are a LOT of people here (myself included) who have cats that get along just fine. Sometimes I wonder, though, what our dogs think of Buck (our cat). We have one dog, Anna, who has made it her mission in life to keek Buck's head washed! That crazy dog will lick Buck's head til it's soaking wet! But only his head. I do see what I assume to be the prey instinct: if Buck walks thru a room the dogs are in, they pretty much ignore him. But if he has a case of the Zoomies and runs thru the room, they will take out after him. But they have never hurt him; maybe they see him as a self-propelled toy :lol:

Interesting!...
My feeling is that Cavaliers are spaniels and spaniels are just miniature hunting dogs and they would love a good tasty rabbit!
Daisy loves chasing rabbits.. in fact it's a passion for her,even the scent of one is enough to ahve her taking off after one like the hound of the baskervilles..
We had an adult rescue dog who supposedly was cat friendly but he managed to take a few chunks of fur out of next door's cat this week.
I think it has to be carefully managed if you want to introduce a spaniel into a household of other pets,especially an adult one.
Sins

I don't know if I would feel I could trust an older rescue with what could essentially be prey... depends on the dog; but I do think a puppy brought up with rabbits or any other animal would be quite happy. For an adult dog you'd probably never be able to leave them alone together but supervised interaction would likely be fine if the dog feels inclined to be friendly. The problem with adults is that this is harder to manage and perhaps not be achievable (same as with cats sometimes). I have had dogs gradually adjust to cats and now sleep with them in a pile so it is often a matter of time and careful interactions. But at the same time you'd have to accept you might end up with a long term permanent situation of having to keep them apart.

Sometimes the dogs that are ready to devour animals that are 'not theirs' are very docile with their own animals. When Lucy moved in here at age 8+ I was really worried about how she would mix with my indoor cats as she loves to chase and gets very worked up at outdoor cats that are 'not hers' -- but she has been the best dog with my cats that I've brought into the house. She ignored them from the very start and doesn't mind if they sleep next to her. Lily by contrast wanted them for lunch and it took a lot of work (and nearly rehoming her) but she now is very friendly with the cats.

I have 2 outdoor rabbits and Ruby is fascinated by them and always goes up to the run and they poke noses at each other.I'd never leave them alone in the garden together as rabbits get scared so easily and stress can make them ill (We put Ruby on her lead when they are let out.) I'm sure it would be ok as long as they are all watched when together.My rabbits let Ruby know who's boss and when they've had enough of her sniffing they turn and kick their back feet at her,she takes the hint now! :p
Image3545.jpg

I have 2 outside rabbits and a cavalier.When I first got Lucie my dog both rabbits were indoor bunnies.I have never had any problem with the dog and bunnies mixing.....and also with cats as i have one too!
My bunnies dont have a run they are allowed to run around the garden along with the 2 kids,dog and cat.
My dog Lucie doesnt even bother with the rabbits.....although she steals there food!
Leesa.

Hi,
My first post here. :)

I have two indoor rabbits also, and we will be getting our little CKC in another month. I don't see there being much of a problem with the puppy taking to the rabbits, more the other way around!

But once they are introduced gradually, and in a controlled way I don't see there being a problem. I had a little Jack Russel before and then got a rabbit. At first the JRT hated the rabbit, constantly barking at it in it's hutch. Cut to a couple of months later and they were both in the garden chasing each other and lying next to each other too.
If the rabbit ever got fed up with Judy chasing her, she would give her a kick and she would get the message.

So that is an example of an older established dog getting friendly with a rabbit. I would imagine puppies would be even easier.

I don't know if I would feel I could trust an older rescue with what could essentially be prey... depends on the dog; but I do think a puppy brought up with rabbits or any other animal would be quite happy. For an adult dog you'd probably never be able to leave them alone together but supervised interaction would likely be fine if the dog feels inclined to be friendly. The problem with adults is that this is harder to manage and perhaps not be achievable (same as with cats sometimes). I have had dogs gradually adjust to cats and now sleep with them in a pile so it is often a matter of time and careful interactions. But at the same time you'd have to accept you might end up with a long term permanent situation of having to keep them apart.

Sometimes the dogs that are ready to devour animals that are 'not theirs' are very docile with their own animals. When Lucy moved in here at age 8+ I was really worried about how she would mix with my indoor cats as she loves to chase and gets very worked up at outdoor cats that are 'not hers' -- but she has been the best dog with my cats that I've brought into the house. She ignored them from the very start and doesn't mind if they sleep next to her. Lily by contrast wanted them for lunch and it took a lot of work (and nearly rehoming her) but she now is very friendly with the cats.

Hi Karlin

I honestly don't think I could leave any dog unsupervised with rabbits even if I'd had them from a puppy (it could just be my cautious nature)but I am interested in what kind of temperment we should look for in a dog if we wanted to go down the adult rescue route and what kind of training would be involved. I did prefer to Rescue an adult dog rather than buy a puppy if possible.

I do realise your never going to really know until you actually have a dog in your home but are there was to re-train things like chasing etc...

My o/h was brought up with dogs but I've never had one so I do need to know how realistic I am being. :)

Thanks

I have 2 outdoor rabbits and Ruby is fascinated by them and always goes up to the run and they poke noses at each other.I'd never leave them alone in the garden together as rabbits get scared so easily and stress can make them ill (We put Ruby on her lead when they are let out.) I'm sure it would be ok as long as they are all watched when together.My rabbits let Ruby know who's boss and when they've had enough of her sniffing they turn and kick their back feet at her,she takes the hint now! :p

Hi
It's good to know Ruby is good on her lead with them.
I know what you mean bunnies do think they are the boss don't they :)
Your buns are so cute, my Jack is an Agouti like yours.:lotsaluv:

As others have said, it depends on the dog, but I have to say for our dog, Daisy, the answer would be a resounding NO! She has killed 3 rabbits in our fenced backyard! She's worse than our cats I had growing up! She just chases the poor things down, shakes her head once and it's over. It's really kind of horrifying to see our sweet little girl get so ferocious. I've seen her chase them, but I've only seen the bodies after the fact, so I've never actually seen her kill one. But since she was a tiny puppy, she shakes her toys like a wild animal, so I always knew she had it in her!

She has such an incredible prey drive that if any sort of small animal moves, she is on them like a duck on a June bug. We really have to watch her around other small dogs at first, and then eventually she figures out that they are a dog, and not a rabbit, and then she's fine with them. She is just a huge chaser.

Starting from puppyhood would obviously be a big advantage. I don't think I could ever trust Daisy around any sort of small pet like a rabbit, guinea pig, hamster, etc. My daughter wants a guinea pig and we would have to be very careful that they were never in the same room with the guinea pig out of its cage or that would be the end of that story. We're debating right now about getting her one. We will definitely get a cage with a top on it and keep it upstairs away from where Daisy spends her time. But it will take lots of supervision because I know it would drive Daisy crazy.

Oh my gosh I didn't realise Cavaliers would have such a strong prey instinct in all the books they always state Cavaliers being good with small pets.

I may be naive but is there anything that can be done training wise to change her behaviour?
especially if you are thinking of getting your daughter a guinea pig I would find the killing very distressing even if I didn't have rabbits myself.

I know -- it's horrible! I was so surprised when she killed her first bunny! Of course they are all very young ones or she would probaby never be fast enough to catch them. Which makes it even worse as baby bunnies are perhaps the cutest things in the world.

The first one was a complete shock to me. Here she comes in the back door with something in her mouth. I looked/reached down to see and screamed! My husband came running and took it from her. I swear it was just like a cat bringing dead things home! That was probably a year and a half ago.

The next 2 were just 2 weeks ago! Those stupid bunnies built a nest in our fenced back yard! There was a nest of them under our kids' slide and of course Daisy sniffed them out and about 4 baby bunnies went running out in all directions. She chased down one of them and that was the end of him. I tried to put them all outside the fence in hopes that their mom would find them and move them out, but of course, no luck on that. I took her out on a leash into the front yard for the next couple of days instead of letting her out back, hoping the bunnies would move out or get bigger/faster, or Daisy would forget about them. No luck there either. The next time I let her out on her own in the backyard, she of course went straight for the nest and there was the other poor little guy done for. I pray the other 2 got away and she didn't get them, too.

It is very distressing, but she is a dog, after all, and one theory on Cavaliers is that they were bred down from hunting dogs, so apparently Daisy got a large helping of a hunting spaniel somewhere up the line. I think sometimes because we look at their sweet, expressive faces, big soulful eyes, etc., that we think of our Cavaliers as children or little angels, and then when they do something truly "doggy" like chasing rabbits, we are surprised. I know I was!

As far as training, I am extremely doubtful that we could circumvent her prey drive if a bunny runs by. In the house with a lot of time and effort, we might get the job done for a single small animal, but I am even skeptical of that because if something runs or flies by her, she's off. We know the guinea pig (if we ever get one) could NEVER be on the floor when Daisy is around.

I remember on some radio talk show I listened to one time where people called in with questions, this woman called in and asked if the pet expert thought it would be OK to get a beagle if she already had a pet rabbit! I remember thinking "Are you insane? A beagle is often referred to as a "rabbit dog." I don't think that's gonna work!" I don't know how you could test for prey drive before picking a Cavalier, but if you could, that would be ideal. I remember seeing a show about a puppy personality test shortly after we got Daisy, and one of the things they did was crumble up a piece of paper and throw it. If the puppy glances at it but still hangs around the person, then they may be an omega pack member. If they run toward it and maybe sniff it but then come back to the person, they may be a beta dog. But if they run get it, pick it up, shake it, and maybe bring it back to you, then they may be an alpha. This is EXACTLY what Daisy did when I tested her. She ran for it, picked it up, gave it several death shakes and brought it back! I thought "uh oh." She is very assertive for a Cavalier, and that was one of my first clues! She was a pill as a puppy, but is a wonderful, gentle dog now (unless you're a bunny, that is!)

Last edited:
Charlie has strong hunting instincts.
When we do our walk, his nose is to the ground.
When he gets excited and goes in circles....... the hunt is on!! :)

I remember on some radio talk show I listened to one time where people called in with questions, this woman called in and asked if the pet expert thought it would be OK to get a beagle if she already had a pet rabbit! I remember thinking "Are you insane? A beagle is often referred to as a "rabbit dog." I don't think that's gonna work!" I don't know how you could test for prey drive before picking a Cavalier, but if you could, that would be ideal. I remember seeing a show about a puppy personality test shortly after we got Daisy, and one of the things they did was crumble up a piece of paper and throw it. If the puppy glances at it but still hangs around the person, then they may be an omega pack member. If they run toward it and maybe sniff it but then come back to the person, they may be a beta dog. But if they run get it, pick it up, shake it, and maybe bring it back to you, then they may be an alpha. This is EXACTLY what Daisy did when I tested her. She ran for it, picked it up, gave it several death shakes and brought it back! I thought "uh oh." She is very assertive for a Cavalier, and that was one of my first clues! She was a pill as a puppy, but is a wonderful, gentle dog now (unless you're a bunny, that is!)

Hi

That's interesting about the puppy personality test, I'll try and remember it for future use just in case, so Daisy would be like leader of the pack.

I'm a member of a Rabbit Forum and lots of people on their have dogs that mix with their bunnies some that I would never dream of introducing like Westies and Staffies, some say (think someone else said it too) that they still chase rabbits outside the home but are different with the buns they live with.

Like you say it's going to be difficult to know until I actually have a dog.If a dog was good with cats would that be a good way to gage it's reaction to other pets?

My rabbits are rather large they weigh between 4 - 5 kg so originally thought that would be in there favour.

What level of prey instinct is a Cavalier thought to have are there other breeds with lower or none or does it really depend on the individual dog?

Thanks

I have 2 rabbits and 2 dogs. The rabbits were moved outside when the dogs came. I never tried to train them to be together. the dogs have a strong chase instinct and Poebe has already killed a wild one down home. if you want to train them then go for it but maybe have an alternative ready e.g.an outdoor area blocked off for the bunnies. I am being very honest when i say my rabbits hate my dogs!! Best of luck. I'm sure it can be done.

We had Rex over a year before we got our Rory our rabbit. We NEVER leave them unsupervised but when we let Rory our our Rex is scared or her (yes its a her - long story!!!) Rex loves to come in to kiss her in the mornings and when Rory is our the first person she flies to is Rex.
Rex is slightly scared of her- i thought it would be the other way around but they are slowly becoming friends.
Here's a pic from the first day we brought Rory home - i have more recent ones I must to stick on photobucket
Pictures220.jpg

Just want to say "Thanks" for the both positive and negative replies regarding Cavs and other pets and I love the bunny photos posted.
Brid I can well believe your buns don't like your dog, rabbits have a lot of attitude :)

Back