• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dogs Trust Van (is it a con )

Brian M

Hello

My wife answered the doorbell 1/2 hour ago and standing there were two men wearing Dogs Trust vests with I D ,Dawn presumed it was a sales cold call approach and advised him that her husband already donates to the Dogs Trust (which i actually do together with a cavalier charity and the Cpl ) he then advised that he was not selling anything but he does have with him ten dogs in a van and would she like to view them with the idea of giving a home to one. Dawn then explained that as we have 3 cavs and 2 cats at this time she did not think i would be interested ,she then phoned me at work. I then asked her to go back out and ask them as they were just calling door to door local can she view the animals and did they have any cavaliers and also check their I D , she asked them but received a mumbled answer but they gave her something like a compliment slip ? ,will get the full story when i get home and post later ,but it doesn't sound right ,anybody know anything or comments please before i start phoning round and rocking the boat :eek: It doesnt sound right does it.

Ive heard this a few times & seen it (I think) on watchdog about suposed dogs trust people canvassing at the door & wanting bank details. To be sure if it was them or not I would ring the local dogs trust & ask if they have anyone collecting in the area.

Ok I don't know anything about the Dogs Trust, but that sounds distinctly dodgy! If they were genuine, I assume they would have been more co-operative about permitting her to view the dogs if this was genuine. But like I said I'm no expert. I'm interested to hear what everybody else think about this.

I'd report this to the police immediately and call Dog's Trust. Seriously doubt they go about their business in this way.

I did a quick search on the net for anything about this and nothing came up. It sounds dodgy though. Might not be, but no harm in calling Dogs Trust anyway. Better safe than sorry! :eek:

Hi
I checked the D T website before i left work and the nearest one to me is over the River Mersey in Liverpool quite a distance away but they closed at 4 pm so i left work a few Min's early and got home at 5.20 pm just in time to phone D T headquarters in London and repeated what my wife told me the guy listened then put me on hold and then a different person came on who sounded more responsible .He advised that two agency companies have been employed by D T for cold calling door to door to attempt to get people to sign up to sponser a dog but he was unaware of this businness of taking animals along for ready inspection for homing or that they were attempting to find homes ,he then went through the complicated homing process of meeting people and trying to match them with dogs and home visits and all the other things required before they even consider placing a dog .But he did not rule out the possibility of one or two agency staff possibly bending the rules in some way for may be their own gain ,so he knows where i live and he knows a description of the people that called and he knows which agency were operating in my area at that time so he concluded that it should be fairly easy to I D the people involved and enquire of them what they were up to he also suggested that they may just be too enthusiastic and be thinking that they are just trying to be more helpful and not keeping to the sales pitch that was taught to them and checked and O Kd by the D T and even that when they said do you want to see them he may have actually meant photos and not they were actually with them.The guy in London seemed to be fairly high up in the organisation so i don't doubt him or his sincerity and i have his phone number so i will leave it a couple of days and then ring him say on Friday and try and get an end to the story .Checking with my wife again shes still adamant that the first intent was for sponsoring a dog and when that was a no go then adopting and viewing ten animals was then mentioned as she said that two other lads one over the road and one calling next door shouted over to their mate Oh you have one thats interested in adopting but one three converged on her she beat a path of retreat and phoned me, and one of my colleagues at work mentioned that people from the D T called at her house but that they were selling insurance ,what type i dont know. :confused:

Brian you could always ask around your neighbours to see if anyone rehomed a dog off them today, before you phone again on Friday (y)

What scares me is if it was a con and had you went over to the van to look at the dogs, they'd have opened the doors.... no dogs... and chucked you in!!! :eek:

I have a very overactive imagination. I think its the Criminologist in me :rolleyes:

Hi
Or the other thought if it was a con get the lady out of the house while somebody else pops in and takes what they want ,the only consolation is if that would have happened they would have been badly savaged by three ferocious cavalier guard girls, I Think ?

Back