• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone think their cavy sheds less than others?

petcrazyme

I'm so close to deciding to adopt my dream dog but with my research on this forum regarding shedding I came across some pretty strong words. For example:

terrible
overwhelmed
nightmare
unbelievable

There were a few (very few) replies from people who felt their cavy didn't shed that bad. Someone had suggested that if the dog has a lighter, shorter coat that they would not shed nearly as bad. I'd like to see if there is any truth to that. If so, maybe I can find a pup from parents with lighter shorter coats????

Having two cats, I don't mind a bit of shedding from a dog but like I said ..it's scary the descriptions I've been reading!

So, please reply if you have a dog with a 'lower' shedding coat or if you have any info for me.

Thanks!

My cavalier Maggie has a pretty thick coat and I don't think she sheds badly at all, certainly not as badly as the cats I've had! You pet a cat and the hair flies off and floats around in the air - cavaliers' fur (at least Maggie's) is nothing like that. Her white fur is a bit of a nuisance, only because I wear a lot of black, but I just keep a lint roller handy by the door and that takes care of the problem.

Trust me, I've been used to dogs with either super short hair (labs, pointers) or ones which don't shed at all and her fur doesn't bother me in the least. The biggest problem I have encountered are the tangles which can occur if you don't brush their coat out regularly.

Well I have two puppies 18 weeks and 11 weeks and so far they shed very minimally although they do shed more than our Old English Sheepdog who does not shed at all. So far the shedding is not a lot at all but perhaps others could advise if this will get worse as they get older

Well that blows that theory!! What colour is Maggie and how old is she? Could coat colour make a difference? ..although, I doubt it.

I don't think colour makes a difference although I suspect with B&Ts and Rubies the hair might be less noticible on your darker clothing. As I said, it is the white portion of the coat that seems to really show up.

Maggie is a tri and she's two years old. When she blew out her puppy coat there was quite a lot of shedding. But since it has been more than manageable

My Rudee went swimming every day (except winter) and so she shed her hair in the sea.
Cara sheds more than Minnie. If you brush your dog every day then you can keep in under control.

Cara sheds more than Minnie. If you brush your dog every day then you can keep in under control.

When I searched for threads about shedding there were TONS of comments from people saying that they brush their dogs everyday and they still were not able to keep up to "phenominal" shedding. Could it be that all those comments were coming from people with puppies losing their puppy coats? How old are your dogs, Minnie and Clara?

I think if you are going to get a cavi you will have to put up with some shedding..... My Ellie is 18 months old, and I comb her every day.... One to stop hair getting everywhere and two to stop matts forming.... Ellie blew her coat at about 11months....
I had a black Lab and he shed just as much and also a Pug.

Hi there. Well, as I posted in an earlier thread, my number one priority when researching the perfect dog for our family at the time was, little or no shedding.:rolleyes: I am a pretty good housekeeper so I stay on top of it as best I can, but my 10 month old girl does shed. Not clumps like some heavy shedding breeds, but alot of single hairs, all the time. Cavaliers also "blow" their coats twice a year and our little girl did not disappoint in that area about a month and a half ago. It has since setttled down and now her coat is shedding much less, but I still have to keep on top of it.

We don't have an allergic family, so I just got used to a new daily routine. I brush and groom my cavalier daily, and also vacuum the area rugs and swiffer the hardwood floors daily. In return, I have the most loving, precious, well behaved little shadow and I can't imagine my life without her.:luv:

Seriously though, if shedding is a major issue, I would consider looking for another small breed such as a poodle, bichon frise or if you have the time to invest in alot of training, a terrier.:eek: It would be sad for you to have such a lovely breed as a Cavalier and then resent her due to the shedding because they all DO shed to some degree. Regarding coat types, it is really hard to say and there are genetics involved. So far, my girl has a thin coat because her adult coat is not in yet, and she is a big shedder. Her parents had lovely medium weight coats.

There are ways to manage heavy shedding, such as brushing and some on the boards have had good luck with de-shedding tools such as the Mars Coat King or the Furminator. Good luck in your research. One thing I would have to say is that the non-shedding breeds do mat easily also and you will be spending ALOT of money keeping them properly clipped so that doesn't happen.

It is a good thing you are exploring this and other aspects before you make such an important decision.(y) Good luck in your research and let us know how it goes!

I still only hoover once a week, it does need doing more I admit but it's not that bad and definitely worth it. :v*cuum:

When I searched for threads about shedding there were TONS of comments from people saying that they brush their dogs everyday and they still were not able to keep up to "phenominal" shedding. Could it be that all those comments were coming from people with puppies losing their puppy coats? How old are your dogs, Minnie and Clara?

Minnie and Cara are both 5yrs old. They are both rescues and have been with me for just over a year now. When Cara arrived first, her coat was in poor condition and she did shed a lot. Once I got them used to being brushed daily their coats have improved and they don't shed as much.
I use a Mason Pearson brush and I also use a rake. Once a week I use either the Furminator or the Mars Coat King on them. A lot of people would say it's hard work but for me personally, I enjoy sitting on the floor to groom each dog; it relaxes me and they just LOVE the attention.

For what it's worth; if you want a dog that doesn't shed a lot then really you should look for another breed because Cavaliers require daily brushing and you will get tumbleweeds in your house but the love devotion ,companionship and sheer joy that you get from sharing your life and home with a Cavalier is well worth it (y)

I don't brush daily. Actually I can get away with once a week. I've had a 5lb Yorkie before and that was hard work. Use a good quality shampoo and conditioner and you'll find you won't get mats and tangles.

Have you ever seen cowboy movies in the west with tumble weeds blowing across the terrain? That's my living room with two cavs even with frequent cleanings. That being said, it would never cross my mind as a reason not to get another cav down the road.

Last edited:
Yes, Cavaliers do shed. Is it terrible, awful, uncontrollable? Well, it is relative. It depends on how you define those words. My personal experience is that Cavaliers are nothing. Try living with a Clumber
Spaniel! I brush and comb my Cavalier and my Clumber a couple times a week and they go to the groomers once a month. I do a major cleaning once a week and minor cleaning as needed. I keep a "sticky roller" to get dog hair off my work clothes in my office and a small one in my purse. For me the shedding is not terrible, awful, uncontrollable, but that is me. You will need to be honest with yourself.

Remember as you consider folks comments that many people have not just one but two or three or four or more Cavaliers. Multiple the shedding and what may be a minor inconvenience is a big issue!!!

Good luck with your decision.

I'm not really sure about how much my cav shed but
My husband thinks our Harry doesn't shed at all
cos..our poor Presley(Yellow Lab) shed really badly!
the floor is dark wooden n Pres is blonde so...it's very obvious
but Harry's Tri,we can't really see black and brown ones and if there's any white kind of,
we'll take it's Presley's or..could it be all Harry's:eek:?hee hee.

I vacumme...about 6-7times a day in the living room and the kitchen,
make it worse Harry somtimes wee n poop in the hall.....
so vacuuming n mopping needed in this house hold...

My two don't shed much at all. Miles is just over a year and never "blew" his coat, or if he did I didn't notice! Truman is almost 6 months old and doesn't seem to shed at all. We also have 2 cats, and the tumbleweeds in our place are definitely from the cats. The dogs do shed a bit on the bed, but not much at all - a lot less than I expected! I brush them with a metal comb about twice a week just to prevent mats - I never use the Furminator on them - only on the cats! :c*t::c*t: We vacuum about twice a week (not thoroughly, just a quick vacuum) and have a good deep cleaning vacuum/floors washed twice a month when our cleaning girl comes...I don't think the hair is bad at all, and even if it were, I would deal with it in a heartbeat as long as I could have my 2 Cavs! :luv: I wonder if diet has anything to do with the amount of shedding or if it's mostly genetics?

Ruby is only 6 months and a little hair comes off. But still i dont care if i have to hoover three times a day i wouldnt swop her for anything. I was at the school today with her and i had an expensive black mac on and i didnt care....she wanted to be taken up for a cuddle and she got it. My coat was covered but i didnt care. Also she badly needs a wash and was smelly, but i couldnt wash her because she has stitches in after the spay operation...I just didnt care about the coat being smelly either... you really do get attached to them. They really are so loving it really doesnt come into it about the hair, but you are right to find out if it will really bother you. My mother has a king charles and a bishon frise and the bishon doesnt shed at all, but i personally find her personality not at all gentle, like my ruby.....:lotsaluv:

Cavaliers do shed and if you're overly-concerned about this, I think I'd consider a different breed. I have 6 Cavs and, to be honest, I don't mind about the shedding, cos they are the most loving little dogs in the world and all of them have so much to give (in addition to all the excess hair!)

It's all relative. We used to have a dalmation and that breed really sheds and it gets into everything and you can't get it out. Our cavaliers shed but it just lays on top of fabric and brushes right off. Our tris and blenheims seem to shed alot more than the B/T and ruby. And they seem to shed alot more after they are neutered. Has anyone else noticed that?

hahah! i agree. i was reading this and thinking...hmm my cav puppy doesnt shed at all! but i guess i am so used to seeing blonde cocker hair tumble weeds. =)

Back