• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Doggie smell?

petcrazyme

I'm researching this breed as a possible family dog ..earlier I started a new thread regarding the shedding that this breed does and I'm coming around to thinking that with brushing I can handle it.

Now onto other important questions: Are cavies know to have a doggie smell?

My cavaliers don't smell at all, unless they purposely roll in something like a dead frog or lizard outside...I only give them a bath occassionally, like every 4-6 weeks or so or when they need it.

See, they are just perfect little creatures! :lotsaluv:

My girl isn't smelly unless she rolls in something disgusting while on safari in the backyard.:D As long as you keep the ears and teeth clean, coat brushed, and bathe at least once a month, there should be no real discernable odor.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news:cry*ing: but, and don't get me wrong I love Lance, he has this really bad behavior. When he goes potty, he misses and wee's all over himself :*gh:. He always hits his front paws and chest, and lifting his leg does not help. So Lance gets a bath once a week- No exception! the smell just takes over. Though for what I understand, this is rare. but it happens. It has taken a long time for us to accept this, as is not that healthy. So for us, bathing Lance is a ritual and a must every week. This is our first cavalier so keep that in perspective.
I have to say, I am jealous for those of you who can wait a whole month....

cavi doggie smell

I have to agree with the comment of how sometimes cavi males wee wee all over themselves. My blemin Spencer does the same thing. My little Tricolor Sophie rarely smells but Spencer for some reason can start to smell if we dont bathe him. Visitors to our home often comment on how good they smell and how our home shows no signs of a dogs being present from the shedding. I do find brushing daily helps alot. Plus you can always invest in a good cleaning lady if you dont have one already to keep all the hair off the furniture and floors in your home. All in All, we wouldnt trade all the shedding and wee wee smells for anything. Well worth it for such precious animals

Mike
Baton Rouge LA

I also hate to express opinions like this--but I'm starting to suspect that you're not a dog person when it comes down to it. They're going to do much worse than shed and smell bad at times. They piss and poop on your carpet. They cry when you're busy and they tear up your expensive shoes. Owning a dog is a lifetime responsibility IMO. If you have any doubts, don't get one IMO. I would hate for you to find, after getting one, that you want to give it up.

Last edited:
i have had vegas for 4 months i have had to deal with ear problems sickness and diarhea FOR 6 DAYS up through the night cleaning up mess, problems with his coat falling out hair absolutely EVERYWHERE constantly picking and hoovering up, constantly worried about whether he is eating enough as he is a poor eater he still has to get a boold test done to see if there is a problem internally casing his coat to fall out as much and now we have to start thinking about his operation on his eyes in about a months time as he has entropian ( his eyelids turn inwards causing his eyelashes to rub against his eyes which is constantly bothering him everytime you look at him you can see his eyes are bothering him which is very upsetting all this happening in a few short months that we have had him is very difficut to cope with also i didn't mention he does not like to be left alone so there is someone around for him 24/7 which can be hard juggling he is our first dog aswell so PLEASE think long and hard before getting a dog we wouldn't change vegas for the world but i feel we have a long journey ahead of us and many more trips to the vet in the future so if in doubt DONT do it

I have to agree that it does sound as if a dog is probably not the right pet for you, just going on your concerns. Dogs even if they are washed regularly, smell like dogs. For some even a mild smell is going to be an annoying a 'doggie smell'. They are dogs, and they ALL smell like dogs (especially when wet!). (y)

There are far bigger issues though that go along with owning a dog that I'd be more concerned about -- or rather, that I think you should be more concerned about than truly minor details like shedding and smell, which is why you really do need to think very carefully -- shedding and slight (or strong) smell are only the most negligible aspect of ownership and some of the real challenges of ownership, as any of us can confirm. Dogs WILL have accidents in the house. They WILL sometimes have the runs and get diarrhea over their hindquarters which you will have to clean up. They DO regularly roll in other animals' poop, or dead animals, or vomit, or things that to them, smell wonderful. They do now and then vomit themselves, often inside. They WILL leave some dog smell on your furniture and in your house. They WILL accidentally or deliberately wee on carpets, floors and sometimes, beds and soft furnishings, because even when housetrained, every now and then there will be an accident due to owner failure to get the dog out as needed, an ill dog, a NORMAL behaviour we haven't trained the dog properly away from, or whatever. All of these things will happen CONSTANTLY with puppies for their first 12 months of life.

Dogs (unlike cats) also are very demanding of time, especially housedogs bred specifically as companions, as cavaliers and ANY housedog breed is. They will need daily time and attention and activity -- at least an hour of exercise with you daily too; you can;t just leave them outside (an absolute no no with this breed). That dog may be with you for 10-14 years in the case of a cavalier. They do all have the risk of illness and breed-disposed health issues, the latter in the cavalier being potentially very expensive to treat. In other words, there's a big picture to consider that is far more involved and time consuming and at times, not very pleasant that goes with dog ownership (as much as many of us love dogs, there are times when we all wish we had a plush toy instead! :lol:).

If you cannot wholeheartedly say you would welcome without any reserve or any cringing, shedding, smells, cleaning up poop daily, cleaning up occasional vomit, diarrhea, and filthy dogs that have rolled in something like horse poop, daily exercise, daily interaction throughout the day, and a cost of on average $1000 annually, then a dog will not be for you. I cannot stress enough how important it is to be totally honest with yourself about this now before getting a dog -- as the pounds and shelters are full of unwanted 'mistakes and many millions die every year in the US in pounds because owners realise they made the wrong decision.

It is admirable that you are considering all these issues, and asking these honest questions, before making a decision. That said, I run irish Cavalier Rescue, and I would strongly advise someone with the concerns you've expressed not to get a dog -- or to first volunteer to foster a dog for a local rescue so that you get a few trial runs to see if dog ownership is right for you. Spend time talking to friends with dogs. maybe ask if you can mind their dog the next time they are away for the day. Taking on responsibility for another life -- a life that can easily have to end by needle in a pound -- is a very grave responsibility so please do not make the decision unless you know you can deal with the many challenges of dog ownership.

I'd suggest trying these very good quizzes to see if you are ready for a dog: http://dogtime.com/dog-ready
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/are-you-ready-for-a-dog/page1.aspx

And these also will help you sort out your thoughts:

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/areyouready.html

Here's a good list of questions by Janet Wall, designed for kids but totally applicable to us grownups too :) :

Are You Ready for a Dog?

Maybe Later...

Maybe now is NOT the right time to get a dog. Dogs are a very big responsibility. If you change your mind after getting a dog, or your family decides it wasn't a good idea after all, it will be the dog who suffers.

Please, think twice before you get a dog.
You and your family should understand
these things about living with a dog:

Some dogs get big.
Some dogs bark a lot.
When you walk a dog, you have to pick up the mess.
Dogs can get sick and mess up the carpet.
Dogs can chew furniture.
Dogs shed hair.

Dogs get lonely when they are by themselves.
Dogs can chew your toys.
Dogs can get sick and cost a lot of money at the vet.
Dogs can be picky about their food.
Dogs jump on people.

Dirty dog dishes need to be washed.
Dogs need baths.
Dogs scratch, bite, and chew.
Dogs can't always understand what you are saying.
Dogs can get fleas, worms, and ticks.
Dogs can run away.

Dogs can bother the neighbors.
Dogs need to go for walks.
Dogs need things like leashes, collars, and toys which cost money.
Dogs need a pet sitter or boarding when you want to go away.
Dogs need frequent brushing.

Dogs need exercise.
Friends or family might be allergic to dogs.
Dogs need obedience training.
Dogs drool on your hands and on your clothes.
Someday your dog will die.

Remember these things about dogs. If any of these things bother you, maybe a dog is not the best pet for you.

You might decide that this is not the best time to get a dog.
Or that your home is not the best place for a dog right now.
Or you might decide that the best pet for you is not a dog.
Making the right decision now will help a dog live a happier, more comfortable life.

If you cannot wholeheartedly say you would welcome without any reserve or any cringing, shedding, smells, cleaning up poop daily, cleaning up occasional vomit, diarrhea, and filthy dogs that have rolled in something like horse poop, daily exercise, daily interaction throughout the day, and a cost of on average $1000 annually, then a dog will not be for you

They will need daily time and attention and activity -- at least an hour of exercise with you daily too; you can;t just leave them outside (an absolute no no with this breed).

:xctly:

I have to agree that it does sound as if a dog is probably not the right pet for you, just going on your concerns. Dogs even if they are washed regularly, smell like dogs. For some even a mild smell is going to be an annoying a 'doggie smell'. They are dogs, and they ALL smell like dogs (especially when wet!). (y)

There are far bigger issues though that go along with owning a dog that I'd be more concerned about -- or rather, that I think you should be more concerned about than truly minor details like shedding and smell, which is why you really do need to think very carefully -- shedding and slight (or strong) smell are only the most negligible aspect of ownership and some of the real challenges of ownership, as any of us can confirm. Dogs WILL have accidents in the house. They WILL sometimes have the runs and get diarrhea over their hindquarters which you will have to clean up. They DO regularly roll in other animals' poop, or dead animals, or vomit, or things that to them, smell wonderful. They do now and then vomit themselves, often inside. They WILL leave some dog smell on your furniture and in your house. They WILL accidentally or deliberately wee on carpets, floors and sometimes, beds and soft furnishings, because even when housetrained, every now and then there will be an accident due to owner failure to get the dog out as needed, an ill dog, a NORMAL behaviour we haven't trained the dog properly away from, or whatever. All of these things will happen CONSTANTLY with puppies for their first 12 months of life.

Dogs (unlike cats) also are very demanding of time, especially housedogs bred specifically as companions, as cavaliers and ANY housedog breed is. They will need daily time and attention and activity -- at least an hour of exercise with you daily too; you can;t just leave them outside (an absolute no no with this breed). That dog may be with you for 10-14 years in the case of a cavalier. They do all have the risk of illness and breed-disposed health issues, the latter in the cavalier being potentially very expensive to treat. In other words, there's a big picture to consider that is far more involved and time consuming and at times, not very pleasant that goes with dog ownership (as much as many of us love dogs, there are times when we all wish we had a plush toy instead! :lol:).

If you cannot wholeheartedly say you would welcome without any reserve or any cringing, shedding, smells, cleaning up poop daily, cleaning up occasional vomit, diarrhea, and filthy dogs that have rolled in something like horse poop, daily exercise, daily interaction throughout the day, and a cost of on average $1000 annually, then a dog will not be for you. I cannot stress enough how important it is to be totally honest with yourself about this now before getting a dog -- as the pounds and shelters are full of unwanted 'mistakes and many millions die every year in the US in pounds because owners realise they made the wrong decision.

It is admirable that you are considering all these issues, and asking these honest questions, before making a decision. That said, I run irish Cavalier Rescue, and I would strongly advise someone with the concerns you've expressed not to get a dog -- or to first volunteer to foster a dog for a local rescue so that you get a few trial runs to see if dog ownership is right for you. Spend time talking to friends with dogs. maybe ask if you can mind their dog the next time they are away for the day. Taking on responsibility for another life -- a life that can easily have to end by needle in a pound -- is a very grave responsibility so please do not make the decision unless you know you can deal with the many challenges of dog ownership.

I'd suggest trying these very good quizzes to see if you are ready for a dog: http://dogtime.com/dog-ready
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/are-you-ready-for-a-dog/page1.aspx

And these also will help you sort out your thoughts:

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/areyouready.html

Here's a good list of questions by Janet Wall, designed for kids but totally applicable to us grownups too :) :

You articulated that much better than I did!

Personally I love the smell of my dogs - unless they've rolled in something nasty but I could sniff them forever :eek:

I've just read this post and I'm sorry but I have to agree with some people
here too,don't think you're a dog person...and I'll tell you about me n my dogs just want you to know how much care and time will need if you have a dog but I have two...It'll be a long story soif you have time please do read..

like i said,I have two dogs and they shed and smell.I won't even say at the times on shedding
cos..

for example,My lab Presley,he sheds 365days a year,24/7,
My cav,Harry's hair that we can't see any cos of Presley.
Harry's bn with me for 2wks now,he had a bath
2wks ago when i brought him cos he stank and now he's getting smelly a bit and yes Presley smells at the time cos..

Presley goes to the beach,to the park..twice a day,somtimes 3times at least an hour each time.

he'll swim,he'll run and when he gets tired he'll sit or lay down
on the grass and when he gets home..he smells like seaweed,sand all over the floor+his hair and when it's rain..his paws,wet hair under his chest,legs..etc on top of that my cav pup Harry will sometimes wee or poop or both on the floor,don't matter if there's a pad or 10!+ my baby'll have party on his pampers too!
Presley is 30kg,bigger than my child and heavier than my child
I wash him dry him, my back will get sore,I did that when i was 8-9month pregnant as well,of course he was a pup,he was so o o o cute(still cute to me!) but by then he chewed everything,socks,towels,shoes..etc..
and you know what? sometimes Presley farts,the smell of it is......
rotten! can't even discribe in words.

I mean I'm lucky(even he farts:rolleyes:)cos at least he behaves very well in the shower,in the house,around babies,with other dogs..etc..but all dogs have different personalities,training might be harder for some dogs n maybe not for some other.
so no-one can be sure that you will have a well trained dog for everything from the start and no smell+no shed...
I vacumme about 6-7times a day,
use steam vacumme once a week on the carpet area.
I don't care how hard to wash them,keep them in the house,how many times I have to clean..cos i love them.

I honestly think,there's no dogs don't smell or don't shed.
I don't know what you're into but how about gold fish or.....gardening??
whatever you decide good luck to you (y)

Ps.oh my dogs snore too!!

Last edited:
Personally I love the smell of my dogs - unless they've rolled in something nasty but I could sniff them forever :eek:

Have to agree here, apart from after a walk and his marking smells really strong, he needs a foot and belly wash every walk. I even like the smell of his bed, must be a mum thing! :rolleyes:

If my cavaliers were smelly, they wouldn't be sleeping on my bed, quilts and even my pillows. Cavalier fur tends to absorb smells of their surroundings. I had a cavalier in for x-rays and it took forever. She must have been carried around the place for a half hour. The top of her head smelled like Wrigley's spearmint gum. On the other side, we had a rescue here that grew up in a barn. The smell of urine and feces would about knock you out.

I think it is great when trying to decide which breed of dog, if any, is right for you to consider things like how much they shed, whether they have a propensity to have more odor or less odor than other breeds, whether they are more independent or tend to be velcro dogs, whether they are small or large whether they bark or "bay" or WooWoo a lot, etc. and to ask these questions of people who actually have different breeds of dog, rather than just relying on a book. Let's be careful not to discourage the questions. That said, Karlin's post is right on and the resources she linked to appear to be very good - worth bookmarking for future reference.

"Petcrazyme:" I hope you keep asking your questions, get honest answers and have the good sense to then ask and answer the ultimate question of yourself - do I really want to do this? Good luck.

Another perspective (very long)...

Wow this thread has really gone from a simple question to a deep exploration of whether Petcrazyme should even own a dog. To answer the simple question as a smell-sensitive clean freak, I believe all dogs have some smell to them but their owners get used to it!

If I may be so bold as to put in my two cents on the other subject of this thread, I'd like to offer a different perspective of owning a cavalier as a person who has never been a dog person. Perhaps I'm an exception so please take it for what it is - just one person's experience.

I grew up never owning pets. In fact I was always afraid of dogs! My parents didn't like animals and my mother made Martha Stewart look like a slob. Now at the age of 40 and having three daughters, I felt that having a pet would be beneficial to them. Perhaps I also had a vague sense of desiring a fourth child, or maybe midlife crisis, I don't know. For whatever reasons, I decided I wanted a dog really really badly.

Just to give you some insight into the kind of person I am - I am very clean (weekly cleaning service), organized (a place for everything and everything in its place), everything I do is well planned and spontaneity makes me uncomfortable, my husband thinks I'm obsessive but I think I just care, I enjoy peace and quiet, and I run a tight ship here at home. My job in software quality assurance is perfect for me.

I did a lot of research on the internet and read many books about different dog breeds. I searched Petfinders daily because I wanted a young adult that was past the bothersome puppy stage. I talked to friends with dogs, people at the vet office, dog rescue workers, and breeders. After all of this research, it became apparent that the CKCS was the ideal breed for our family and our lifestyle. I considered the shedding, the accidents, the obedience training, the costs and felt that I could handle it.

Since rescue Cavaliers are very rare around here, we decided to look for a puppy. We found a breeder nearby with pups that were already 12 weeks old. By the time we actually brought Meenah home, she was 16 weeks old. The breeder had already started crate training and housebreaking. She was even paper trained and trained to go potty outside, which I was so happy about because I did not want to take her outside in the cold, rain, dark, etc. Everything seemed perfect!

Before we picked her up, I continued reading and researching all I could on puppy care and training. Got her first vet visit scheduled, enrolled in puppy kg class, arranged for a private trainer to come to out house to get us started, purchased all the things I needed for her care and comfort. Took a few days off from work. It was all falling in place.

I went to pick her up at the breeder's home with my kids. As soon as I knelt down to pet Meenah, I could feel a warm wetness on my leg where she was leaning against me. She peed on me! Of all the things I had prepared myself for - the housebreaking, the shedding, the nippiness and jumping, possible health issues down the road, the fact that they have anal glands that need to be expressed every so often - I had never considered submissive urination! The breeder assured me that she had never done anything like this before and it was probably just from excitement, not uncommon with pups. Even though warning flags went up in my mind and I thought I should walk away right now, I didn't. My kids were all there. The check had already been handed over to the breeder. I thought there was no going back.

I was very disheartened by the submissive urination but it seemed pretty much gone within the first week, at least with us. Since then it has cropped up when we've scolded her too harshly or been too insistent that she bend to our will. Also it has happened when she has been petted on the head by intimidating people. So we've learned that she is sensitive, should be handled softly, that we should have her pee before anyone comes over, and to have people ignore her at first and then later squat down or sit down and pet her on the chest. She has really really improved as we continue to work with her and build her confidence. The vet just called me (she is in for her spay today) and said she is definitely shy but hadn't piddled at all! I think that's huge.

I was also very disappointed to discover that she was not papertrained at all as the breeder had told me. She tore up the papers, chewed on potty pads, and went potty wherever she wanted on my floor. After a few days of this, we broke down and started taking her outside every two hours and crating her. That worked out infinitely better. She now goes pee on command (we are working on a command for pooping), goes to the door when she wants to go out, and hasn't had an accident in the house in 5 weeks (knock on wood). We have learned her potty habits and recognize her signs. She isn't even 6 months old yet. Not too shabby.

My Meenah has slept through the night from 9:30 pm to 6:30 am without a peep from the third day we've had her home. She does not nip, does not chew on anything but her toys, responds to uh-uh if she is doing something she shouldn't, obeys commands, grooms herself, allows me to groom her, and is so sweet and loving that I sometimes feel my heart will burst open.

So I've made some adjustments for this little creature. I don't mind her hair on my clothes, but I do put a throw on the sofa before I let her onto it. I have gotten used to her slight doggy smell, but I bathe her every one to two weeks and use puppy wipes on her daily. I have learned to live with floors that are slightly more dirty than they were before. But she has learned that when she comes inside, she must lay on the towel near the door and allow me to wipe her feet and privates with puppy wipes. It is all routine to her now. To dog people, I know this sounds bizarre but she and I have learned to live with each other and we love each other! We go on our daily walkies, we play in the backyard, we practice our obedience training and are working on a couple fun tricks, we snuggle a lot, she gets all sorts of toys and treats, and I believe she has quite a comfortable life with us. She has taught me to relax and to see that things don't have to be perfect all the time. I think I sometimes forget that she is a dog because she is just melding into our family so well. The breeder can't believe how well we are doing with each other and I get comments all the time about how sweet Meenah is.

Can a person who is seemingly not a dog person own a Cavalier? You betcha. Do I sometimes feel like braining her? Yeah sure but those feeling are fleeting and I'm sure shared by just about every dog owner! After two months with her, I can't remember how I used to spend the time that I now spend with her. She has to stay overnight at the animal hospital tonight and I miss her terribly. :lotsaluv:

By the way, I still don't care for dogs. I just love mine to bits.

I would say cavalier this would be my list of the top cavalier pet issues.

1. HEALTH -- can you handle the possibilities of the health issues of this breed??

2. Grooming which would encompass the washing, brushing, shedding and possible smells of the dogs.

3. Dependency they need attention. A bored, restless, cavalier can become a naughty dog. They are very people oriented.

IMO--health issues were the only thing that was somewhat out of my control. I decided to get my cavaliers from very reputable breeders and whatever time my dogs have with me, I promise to give them good food, love and much attention and care. I've lost a brittney to an immune problem at age 3 and a cocker to a protein issue and epilepsy at age 2.5. There are no health promises in any breed.

I really am impressed that you are seeking opinions on many of the questions you have before you commit yourself.

"Rocky"-- I didn't know you've been through all that-- I hope Vegas is doing better.

Can a person who is seemingly not a dog person own a Cavalier? You betcha. Do I sometimes feel like braining her? Yeah sure but those feeling are fleeting and I'm sure shared by just about every dog owner! After two months with her, I can't remember how I used to spend the time that I now spend with her. She has to stay overnight at the animal hospital tonight and I miss her terribly. :lotsaluv:

By the way, I still don't care for dogs. I just love mine to bits.

I loved your post. I especially love the part where she peed on you first thing and you survived. Thanks for sharing youir story with us!

Back