• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

US Farm bill bans imports of puppies under 6 months

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I'd been hoping this would pass -- this SHOULD halt imports by brokers into the US. I am sure they will find ways around this but I intend to inform the Irish government responsible that this has been passed and therefore, airlines should not be carrying crates of cavaliers into the US any longer!

Congress Overrides Veto; Farm Bill Becomes Law

[Friday, May 23, 2008]
Yesterday, Congress enacted the federal Farm Bill, including
provisions prohibiting animal fighting ventures and limiting the
importation of live dogs into the United States if the dogs are
younger than six months old and imported for the purpose of resale.

President Bush's earlier veto of the bill was overridden when the
House of Representatives voted 316-108 on Wednesday, and the Senate
voted 82-13 on Thursday to override, easily exceeding the two-thirds
majority required of both houses to override a presidential veto.

The override was not without controversy, as a printing mistake left
out 34 pages of the vetoed bill that dealt with international food aid
and trade. Realizing the mistake of voting for a different version of
the bill than what the President had vetoed, the House voted again
(306-110) in favor of the complete bill, enough to override another
Presidential veto. The Senate is expected to revisit the measure in
June if necessary. However, both House and Senate leadership have
cited parliamentary precedent regarding such an occurrence as being
constitutional and therefore not needing another vote.

Great!! Hope they will stand by it and enforce it to the letter. There are still newspaper ads here stating "Cavaliers for sale, Irish imports, from superior champion lines." Ugh, turns my stomach.:mad: I have run into several people who actually believe that Ireland is at the forefront of raising Cavaliers that are free of heart and other health problems. Puppy mills are getting alot of attention now here in the U.S. However, I didn't even have a clue that puppy farming was a big problem in Ireland also, until I joined this board. We all know that the good Irish breeders would never send boxloads of their puppies to the U.S. that end up with brokers, but some people want to believe that they do, and are duped into buying these sad, frightened little puppies anyway. :(

OH that's fantastic news, I'm really pleased. HOpefully it will at least slow down puppy farm sales - at 6 months they are past that really really cute stage, which encourages impulse buying.

Most people who want puppies want puppies, that's just it. It should be a serious blow to brokers. The issue is that airlines and airports will enforce this -- so it *should* be fairly effective. (y)

Back