• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can Bella really be in heat again?

Emma n Renco

How often do females come into heat? Bella came into heat in January and now we have found blood again on the floor. We were told by the vet to wait 100 days after the heat and then it was safe to get her spayed. I thought they came into season every 6 months, but this makes it 5 months. we yet again had an appointment booked for her for this Friday to get her spayed and now we've messed it up again! We moved house in the last few months and lost track of time...

Also, we had Harvey castrated and now are worrying that although he can't make puppies, will he still get the urges and go crazy like last time? As we have moved we are not able to take him to anyone's house to look after him like we did last time but at the same time don't want him tormented by this.... :-(

Their cycles are not like clockwork, unless they are but it takes awhile to figure that out. And yes, they can certainly tie , I had a neutered boy who did, so best to keep them apart.

It wouldn't be ideal to spay her so close to when she was scheduled to come into heat anyway -- the reason your vet said to wait 100 days was to put her right at mid cycle and therefore, in a neutral state before the next hormone buildup begins. It would have been a bit too late to spay her.

She's almost definitely in heat again if you are seeing blood -- dog's cycles all vary with some coming in earlier than 6 months and some every 7,8 or 9 months. As with people, all are different in terms of cycles; 6-9 months is the average.

Harvey probably won't be nearly s interested but many neutered males are still intrigued enough by females in heat to try to mate so yes, you will need to try and keep them separate or closely managed (eg in a lap each!) when in the same room.

Since this is the situation you are in, and you will have to manage it, may I recommend for your boy an item called a Belly Band? It by no means is fool proof, but would at least help to prevent penetration if he is very interested. Panties on your girl would also help to stop him from smelling her scent as freshly and chlorophyll fresh breath tablets can also be given to your female daily to help mask her smell to him.

Arlene and her three, J.P., Missie, and Rocky

That may deter the half hearted but a determined boy will get through anything and rip those suckers off. I have a friend whose dogs tied THROUGH a baby gate!

Well all i can say is thank god i got ruby spayed last week.:jump:

Sorry that s not very funny for you. Hope you get on ok........:):)

Well - it's our own fault for not keeping on top of it and feel sick that we are back in this situation again just because we didn't keep track of it. (We have however bought and done a complete rebuild on a house and are getting married in 4 weeks and 4 days so were very busy). The problem this time around is not having anyone to take one of the dogs until it's over. My worst fear is that if they did get it on :) her back legs couldn't take it as they are in a very bad way and don't want her getting hurt obviously. We seriously thought we had until mid June to have her spayed and booked for end of May. Oh well - no point moaning, we will just have to get on with it again :-(

Hermione came into her second season only four months after the first one, two days before the date her spay was booked for! We were very surprised, but it was a proper, full length season. So it is possible, I suppose every dog is different in that respect as well.

Back