• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yesterday

Barbara Nixon

We had a big scare, yesterday.

I took Joly to the Greyhound Gap fundraiser show, where the weather was aweful and Hope Rescue's gazebo leaked lots. Tye wind wasn't as bad as the weather people predicted, but there were times when we had to hold on, when there was the odd gust.

Joly doesn't like getting wet, so he stayed in the car, most of the time, but during a dry spell, he got out and we went for a walk around the outside of the arena. He met a little spaniel collie cross and then made friend swith a little bulldog.

This is when the aweful thing happened. the bulldog was only a puppy and got his lead tangled round Joly's . We had just untangled them when , su=ddenly a large red greyhound grabbed Joly by his back and wouldn't let go. luckily Joly didn't scream and so insense the dog, but all efforts failed, one lady getting bitten for her attempt.

We yelled 'Help' as there was a behaviourist giving a demonstration in the ring . Mor epeople appeared and it may have been the behaviourist, but someone lifted the grey off the floor and he let go.

I then went hysterical, because Joly flopped and i feared his back was broken. A man scooped him up and carried him away and a vet nurse, who was at the show examined him. She said no skin was broken , but he may be bruised, but was certainly in shcok and going to a vet was suggested .

However, after being wrapped in a towel and balnket and sitiing in the car with me he got up and gave all the people fussing funny looks. What was all the fuss about he wondered.

Anyway, no dmage done and he's right as rain. He won't be affected, because something similar, though he was dropped qucikly happened when he was a puppy. A gsd got him, but then he was clearly unharmed, as he ran off as soon as he was dropped.

Here he is to show he's ok.

ok.jpg

Lisa, who founded Gap was very annoyed as the dog was one of Gap's fosters and she had specifically made sure that all of their dogs were muzzled, at the beginning of the show. We don't know why this dog's fosterer chose to remove the muzzle, especially as she wasn't new to fostering the breed and knows that he is not cat friendly.

Oh my gosh...how scary!! Having been through something like that last summer I know exactly how you felt! So glad you were in a place where you could get help and people knew what to do. Aggravating that the dog wasn't muzzled as it should have been. So glad you're all okay!

How terrifying. I am really releived that Joly is fine! The owner of the other dog must feel ashamed and wonder why she ever moved the muzzle! I hope she was being told off for her irresponsible behaviour. The important thing is that Joly quickly recovered, thank God :hug:

Pleased to hear Joly is ok what a terrible shock for you both,how stupid to remove the greyhounds muzzle and leave it off around small dogs what was the fosterer thinking, that could have had a terrible outcome, great to hear theres no harm done to him but he might be a bit sore for a day or 2, give him a gentle hug from me

Thank God it didn´t end as badly as it could have! I can understand if you are in a state of shock .
Joly sounds like a very laidback and easygoing guy since he is back to normal allready. :)

Gosh Barabra, how awful for you both. How is little Joly doing today. He looks fine in the pic, have you calmed down? Bless him what a sweet face.:)

you poor thing i hope you have got over it now but i bet you wont forget in a hurry, i remember when i dropped vegas the first night we brought him home i picked him up and and gave him a cuddle when he just jumped out of my arms i kind of grabbed him half way and he went down chin first i could have cried especially when it was on kitchen tiles but he was okay thank god:bang:stupid me

Oh my gosh! I would have panicked! Glad little Joly is okay and suffering no physical or psychological after effects from the big scary dog. Another incident where you really can't blame the dog as much as the owner/caregiver who knew the dog was reactive.

Oh Barbara what a horrible experience. I am so glad Joly is ok. I always dread that sort of thing happening when we are out. Big hugs to you both.

oh my god that is so scary. Im wondering when it took your dog by the back did it cut off the circulation or something to make your dog not bark and then go floppy?????? maybe that would have been a good thing as you said that your dog didnt bark etc..

hope you will both be ok...thats just awful...

You must have gotten such a fright :eek:. I'm so glad to hear that Joly is ok. He must be one chilled out doglet. :hug: :hug: to you both after your scare.

As Joly doesn't even appear to be bruised, I think the shock just switched him off.

Lisa, who founded Gap, is very surprised that santa of all dogs, made the attack. when they took him in he was so timid that they had to leave him be , for a few days and he has always been a submissive dog, though he, like most of his breed who have raced, would chace acat, but Joly wan't running so he wasn't taken to be prey. another odd thing is, that although he pulled, he didn't shake (which apparently they do with a rabbit) and used his front teeth rather than side teeth.

Having been near Joly, I'm wondering whether the dog thougt he was an apple, because he was bathed in Crazydog apple shampoo and lots of dogs like fruit.

Back