PDA

View Full Version : want to adopt a rescue cavalier pup

paulaw
27th May 2008, 12:39 PM
Last week we lost our little princess, Kayla, We are looking into adopting another pup, we dont want to replace her but found the breed to be loving and just what our family needs. We live in the NE UK but are willing to travel anywhere in the UK. If anyone knows of any that require rehoming please let me know with details, we have been let down by an owner in dundee, saying she needs 'rid' of her pup by wed, she hasnt emailed back with her details but wants to send the pup thro the livestock delivery service. I feel it was a con.

Thanking in advance for speedy replies.
paulaw

Karlin
27th May 2008, 02:26 PM
Puppies almost never end up in rescue -- so most likely, yes, you are dealing with a questionable situation.

I'd suggest using the resources on this board (in the Library section) to help find a reputable breeder in the UK if you want a puppy as the chances are virtually nil of getting a rescue puppy.

If you want an older dog, we regularly list rescue cavaliers here and I also have all the breed rescue contacts pinned in this section.

This is a breed with some definite health issues and with a huge market of very badly bred, illness-prone puppy farm puppies so please, please use caution and only go with a reputable breeder if you choose that route. This takes time and research but as a very basic, you only want to deal with club-registered breeders who can show you cardiologist (NOT vet) certifiocates for the heart status of the parents and the parents should be at LEAST 2.5 years old. You should also consider a breeder who MRIs her breeding stick for syringomyelia and breeds following the current advice on trying to avoid symptomatic SM.

pippa
27th May 2008, 08:43 PM
So sorry to hear about your little Kayla..hope you find another dog soon..don't rush..take time to grieve your little princess.

Cavvygirl
4th June 2008, 12:23 AM
I am sorry to hear of your loss:(

If you feel you are ready for another cavalier and want a puppy I would definately take your time and do your research. They are a breed which can be bred by alot of unscrupulas (sp) people. I would echo waht Karlin has said, take your time and do your research that way you should have lifetime back-up from a reputable breeder (invaluable!) and a healthy puppy from healthy health tested parents;)

jeanibean
19th June 2008, 10:37 PM
I am so sorry to hear you lost your little Karla, it is so heart breaking to loose your baby. We have lost our littly Honey on sunday, she was only 3 years old, we are heart broken as she was a wee dote, so my heart goes out to you. It will get better in time i am told.
Jean :(

Cathy T
20th June 2008, 05:23 PM
So sorry for your loss Jean. 3 years is just so young :(

jeanibean
23rd June 2008, 11:40 PM
So sorry for your loss Jean. 3 years is just so young :(
Yes Cathy it is so young, the vet says she had a form of Lukemia, she was never sick, but seemed very tired lately, she took sick on Thursday and was gone by Sunday. we just find it very hard to accept. We fell such a sense of loss. I know you have lost your little karla and i feel so sad for you, Was karla your only dog? Jean :(

jeanibean
23rd June 2008, 11:47 PM
[quote=jeanibean;272025]Yes Cathy it is so young, the vet says she had a form of Lukemia, she was never sick, but seemed very tired lately, she took sick on Thursday and was gone by Sunday. we just find it very hard to accept. We fell such a sense of loss. :([/quote