• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Could have been a snack!

shell nyc

After our run this morning Winston, Kelsey and I were hanging out in the park with a large group of the regulars and semi-regulars in the off-leash area. In runs a big adolescent intact Dogo Argentino. We've seen this Dogo before, nice temperament but still a little scary and imposing (to human and dog alike) simply because of his size. Winston found a stick and was working on it when the Dogo walked over...Winston growled! Lightly, but growled. I noticed it, mentioned it to some of the other owners nearby but didn't really do anything because the Dogo walked off and everything seemed fine. Well, the next time the Dogo went to Winston, he literally snapped at him! Here's my 16lb lap dog snapping at AND SCARING AWAY a 100lb+ Dogo!
He did it once more when the dogs were just walking amongst us (sitting) humans...no stick no anything that time! I snatched him up to head home worried he was really tempting his luck. Sure enough, a little later that morning the Dogo got in quite a nasty scuffle with another big dog (resulting in a bleeding human and dog.)

Winston does not go around "starting fights"...he just has no clue that he's as little as he is. This may be partly due to being raised with a German Shepherd, or that Cavaliers are supposed to be "fearless", or he's just oblivious! He's well socialized, goes to doggie daycare and dog parks etc every day without incident...but he obviously didn't like this guy. But shouldn't his instincts tell him to be submissive to someone with 100+ lbs on him?

I have absolutely no idea why people get a breed like that and bring it to a mixed dog area. I would have left too. It's good your little guy remained safe.

cavaliers are bred to be fearless -- and this can get them in trouble. Most likely in dog terms the dogo was being rude. Also many small dogs do not care to have large dogs towering over them. Some of mine will growl to warn off larger dogs when they wouldn't with a smaller dog.

PS -- That dogo does NOT have a nice temperament or a predictable temperament if he got in a scuffle with another dog and bit a human.

:eek: Oh my gosh. I had to look up this breed because I was unfamiliar with the name. Looks like a giant muscular pitbull to me. The narrative said that many tend to have dominant aggression toward dogs and cats and are easily capable of chasing and killing other animals. EEEK! Yeah, sounds like a breed I want to cuddle up with at night. Obviously your Cavalier was on to him, but glad you both got out of that one unscathed!

That is a scary looking dog! Then, it led me to look up Cordoba Fighting Dogs, which are extinct--it said they had such a strong fighting instinct the males and females would rather fight than mate! Scary!!

Glad you and Winston are ok!

Last edited:
Our Charley was just like that, thought he was huge!

Charley never growled at small or medium dogs but he'd bark and growl at pitbulls and GSDs.

Hubby would pick him up but that didn't quiet him at all.

I was "caught" in a dog fight as a child, so am very happy to just leave in those circumstances.
Having my legs chomped once was enough!

Thank Heavens the "girls" are very placid. ;)

Well that was scary!! I wouldn't tempt fate. If I feel the slightest bit of hesitancy....walk away. After Shelby's attack last summer there's no way in he** I will allow that to happen again. Not saying anyone allowed anything!!! (y) I read this about the breed

They get along with other dogs as long as they have been properly socialized, but will usually not tolerate another dog trying to assert dominance over them

This says a lot. Sounds like the dog felt Winston was trying to assertive dominance. So glad you all are okay though. That was scary.

Thanks everyone. I try not to be "breedist"...give every dog a chance to be judged on its own merits...this one just wasn't sitting right with me (or Winston.) We ARE really lucky. Of course Winston doesn't realize that...

Next time we won't hesitate to head to another area of the park if that Dogo shows up. It's just not worth risking it!

It's also a little strange that Kelsey (the GSD) didn't get involved. She never lets Winston out of her sight for any length of time, and doesn't even like it when Winston wrestles with another dog (as far as she's concerned, Winston is HER toy.) I'm guessing she didn't sense danger because the Dogo walked away each time. Oh well...

Back