• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavs and summer heat

Seraphine

How do you keep your cavs cool during the warm sunny summer days? I'm kind of looking for ideas that I might be able to use for my own as he absolutely hates getting wet and refuse to swim or even put his paw in water.

I do the obvious of course, available water at all times, lots of shaded places to lay in (although he seems to prefer the sunlight rather than the shade...) and no walks/activities when it's the warmest and I also got a battery-powered fan to use when needed but besides from that I'm not quite sure what else I can do for him and I can already tell he's finding the hot days difficult even though summer here has not yet really started. Any suggestions?

My dogs are already showing signs of wanting to avoid the outside due to the heat. I'm anxious to hear any genius ideas for keeping them cool. Ollie is in great shape, but he is hot after being outside for about 10 mins (we're in Florida, so it is already 90 degrees out in the afternoon).

I have some "cool mats" I bought at a dog show - You soak them in water and they really seem to hold their cool pretty well. I've also had people tell me you can take a dog mat or even a thick towel, get it wet, wring it out, and stick it in the freezer until it's good and cold, and then offer that for their dogs to lay on. I generally take something like that, and then put a cage fan on the side of a wire dog crate - I leave the door open so Amber can get out if she so chooses, but usually she'll choose to just lay there on her nice cool bed!!! Also, offering ice cubes to play with seems to be a popular idea with all my dogs, and if it's not to hot to be outside for a while to play, my dogs all love playing in a kid's wading pool.

At the moment we dont have that problem in southern ireland. Today i wore my winter knee hight boots and my mac and my black hat. it was just like a winters day here.

Its hard to keep the poor dogs cool there i suppose.

I would love to have that problem, or even a touch of it....:cool:

We walk the dogs in the morning and late evening, avoiding the mid-day heat.

When we're out during the day, they have shade and water, etc. but we've found that our Cavaliers have always wanted back into the A/C house if it's very hot.

I'm not a big fan of very hot, humid days myself, so it's worked out just fine. ;)

Our house is very well insulated & we have plenty of nice cool slate on the floors. So on a hot day we just keep the dogs in & they all lay around on the slate. I also fill up plastic bottles with water & freeze them & leave them laying around the floor so they can lay near them if they wish.

Back