PDA

View Full Version : Bentley is back to the vet's

Remali
28th May 2008, 10:18 PM
Bentley got worse today so quickly, he wasn't able to stand up or walk...it happened in just a matter of a couple hours. So I whisked him off to the vet, she wanted to keep him for a couple hours and run more blood tests and do x-rays. She wasn't sure what we are dealing with now....
I am so scared for my little buddy, I cannot imagine life without him, we are inseperable. I hope and pray he comes thru this OK, and it is not anything too awfully serious.

hbmama
28th May 2008, 10:52 PM
Oh I am so sorry Bentley is not well. I will wrap both of you in my daily prayers that he will be okay and that you will be strong and able to see him through this illness! :hug: Please post when you have an update.

Remali
28th May 2008, 10:56 PM
Thank you. No news from the vet yet, she should be calling me soon. I hope the news will be fairly good news....gosh I am a nervous wreck. I will let you know soon as I get word from my vet....

Cleo's Person
28th May 2008, 11:47 PM
Oh my goodness. :xfngr: things go ok for Bentley. You're in my thoughts :hug: :hug:

Remali
29th May 2008, 05:17 AM
Well, I have Bentley home, but the vet doesn't know what is causing his rear end paralysis. She is not my regular vet tho, so tomorrow when I take Bentley back in I am going to ask to get my regualar vet involved if he is back. He must have been off these past 2 days. Anyway, Bentley is now asleep on a large pile of blankets next to my bed, I hope we have a quiet and uneventful night.

Kristy
29th May 2008, 08:32 AM
my thoughts and prayers are with you and bentley *hugs*

CavyMom
29th May 2008, 03:14 PM
I don't know what to say other then you and Bently will both be in my thoughts and prayers - Hopefully they'll know what's going on soon and provide you both with some relief!!!!

Cathy T
29th May 2008, 03:48 PM
Oh no Renee. I'm so sorry you are having problems with Bentley. I hope your vet is able to figure out what is going on. Sending you wishes and prayers.

Brian M
29th May 2008, 04:45 PM
Hi
Please don't think the worst i am sure he will be back up and running very quickly.
Prayers being said for the two of you.

Best Wishes

Brian m

PennyLane
29th May 2008, 04:57 PM
Oh no! :( I am sorry to hear this. I hope you get some answers soon! Keep us updated.

Remali
29th May 2008, 05:35 PM
Thank you all of you for your encouragement! I am happy to report that Bentley is better this morning! We just got back from another vet visit and his temp is down (102 now) and he was able to walk a little bit today!! I was so happy I just hugged him and cried my eyes out. He still falls on his butt tho, and he is still very weak and wobbly in the hind end, but he is now wagging his tail and more alert and he actually walked a few steps!! We are thinking it may be tick paralysis, so we are definitely continuing the doxycycline, but so far today we have not needed any pain meds. :)

CavyMom
29th May 2008, 06:18 PM
That's great, I'm glad he's already improving!!!!!

Remali
30th May 2008, 12:09 AM
I hope and pray he keeps on getting better....this has been the most frightening thing I have ever gone thru. Thanks for all of your kind support!!

jld
30th May 2008, 01:15 AM
Oh, how scary...I so hope he is doing better. I am thinking about you, and will keep watching for updated posts......judy and dixie

hbmama
30th May 2008, 03:24 AM
So glad Bentley is getting better. Hopefully you will have a blessing of a diagnosis, such as the possible tick paralysis so the vet can treat him properly and he can make a full recovery. Please continue to keep the updates coming.

*Pauline*
30th May 2008, 10:14 AM
Oh I'm just seeing this thread now, poor Bentley and poor you :hug: I wonder if he has a virus and is feeling weak. I hope this passes quickly and he is back to normal soon. How old is he?

Claire L
30th May 2008, 11:22 AM
Hope you're feeling better today Bentley :lotsaluv: :hug:

pippa
30th May 2008, 11:35 PM
Thinking of you and Bentley

Remali
31st May 2008, 01:37 AM
Tonite I am happy to report that he has made more progress! He walks better, wags his tail non-stop, and even went potty OK for me.....we are still not out of the woods yet, but he improved! I had my regular bet look at him today and he wonders if it could be a fibrocatilagenous embolism.....like a clot in his spine......but my vet thinks he will recover OK, and hopefully get full use of his hind legs. He was worried because they had to cath Bentley today because Bentley did not urinate all day at the vets (I kept him at the vet while I was at work), but tonite Bently did piddle for me, so I am much more happy tonite!

Andy & Kris
31st May 2008, 06:10 PM
I can't imagine how scared you both must of been and I'm so happy Bentley's improving.

Thinking of you,
Christina x

Remali
31st May 2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you, you are all so sweet to keep us in your prayers and thoughts!

Bentley is better, but he did yelp once this morning when he sat down.....I was going in to work a few hours, so rather than leave him home alone I boarded him with my vet for the few hours while I was at work. SO far he seems to be OK, a bit wobbly but able to walk, going potty is still a b it of an issue, but he seems to manage it eventually and I hold him up if he needs help.....so, gosh, I hope we have a good weekend and he gets even better!

leesanlucie
31st May 2008, 08:46 PM
Aww thats great that Bentley is getting better.:jump:
Keep us posted.....and sending good vibes to the wee soul!:thmbsup:

Leesa....and lucie

Remali
1st June 2008, 09:39 PM
He was moving around better today.....(sigh of relief!), but then he did vomit once, mostly liquid, and it did have a greenish tinge to it, so that made me wonder if he snarfed a couple pieces of my house rabbit's hay. Anyway, he played with his toys today, but was a bit wobbly yet, and he is stiff in the rear yet.... but he did show improvement......of course I am still a nervous wreck because I have to go back to work tomorrow and leave him home alone.....altho a friend, who just lives two blocks away, said she would check in on him for me.

Remali
3rd June 2008, 08:19 PM
Happy to report Bentley is doing very well. He walks a little stiff yet, but he seems almost back to normal.....I am still worried of course, but so far he has made tons of imrpovement! Thank you to all of you for your wonderful support and kind words!

Cleo's Person
3rd June 2008, 08:58 PM
That's wonderful news! :)

Remali
5th June 2008, 04:30 AM
Bentley has continued to improve....he still isn't able to jump up on the sofa or up on my bed....but he plays now and walks almost normal and is happy and back to his usual self! I am sooooooo happy and so relieved, I was so very afraid I was going to lose him.

Lani
6th June 2008, 02:35 AM
Renee, I am so happy to hear that Bentley is continuing to improve!! :rah:

jld
6th June 2008, 04:20 AM
Oh, what a relief.....so happy to read that he is doing so much better. Judy

Brian M
6th June 2008, 08:36 AM
Hi
Well done Bentley .:rah::rah:

Cathy Moon
6th June 2008, 11:36 PM
I'm just catching up with your posts - what a relief he continues to improve! :flwr:

Karlin
6th June 2008, 11:53 PM
Really happy to hear this. :rah:

Remali
10th June 2008, 11:51 PM
So far so good with Bentley....he has sort of reached a point where he is not worse, but not getting any better....but, he is walking (altho a bit stiff and wobbly at times) and he still can run a little, and play. So, I think it will just take some time. He does have a different gait tho now, different way of walking.... he is stiff, and he arches his back a little, no doubt due to his hind legs being stiff. He gets his last doxycycline pill tonite, I may call my vet to see if she thinks he needs to be on it longer...but then she wasn't for sure he truly had anaplasmosis, or if we were dealing with a neurological problem, and she mentioned a possible clot in his spine too (I believe she called it fibrocartilagenous embolism). With the fever of 103 tho, an dmy finding a couple ticks on him...and the blood tests showing exposure to anaplasmosis....I tend to think it was that.....

And, today I got a new job, my last job was horribly stressful, and a large un-caring company. I got a new job at a very small company and I will be doing medical billing, so I am hopeful this is a great new beginning. :)

Cathy Moon
11th June 2008, 01:00 AM
Congrats on getting your new job. That must have been horrendous to go through Bentley's serious health problems and have problems with your employer at the same time. :eek: I'm glad you're in a better place now. :flwr:

Have you and your vet talked about referring Bentley to a neurologist? I would probably go that route in case something could be done for his gait problem. I would try to see a neurologist first if possible, rather than a neurosurgeon.

Remali
11th June 2008, 06:03 AM
Yes, my vet did suggest a neurologist.... she recommended the University of MN, and right now with losing the old job, not starting the new one yet.....and some bills from health issues of my own...I can't afford to take him to a neurologist, and I feel just awful. If I could, I would have taken him there already. So, I hope and pray he has something that will clear up with no major problems....if he truly does have anaplasmosis (and the blood test showed he had been exposed to it)....from what I have read about it, like Lyme disease, with antibiotic treatment it should continue to improve.....