PDA

View Full Version : Walking and Cars

cwarner
28th May 2008, 10:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has some "issues" with walking there Cav's. Roscoe for the most part is pretty good UNTIL... a car drives by , then he's out of control and wants to chase it down. (we have a harness for him)

Now I will say the little dude has an infactuation with rides. Sometimes while he's outside he will just sit and stare at our car parked in the driveway and if we open the door to get something out he jumps in and we have to actually pick him up to get him out.

Just curious if anyone else has any issues while walking.

cb2u
28th May 2008, 11:54 PM
Sasha used to do this, but I kept trying to correct her by saying "no" and continuing to walk. She's so much better now, but occasionally still shows interest in cars by stopping & looking as they drive by.

Now she just tries to chase other things... birds, leaves blown by the wind, bunnies, and so on.

Sometimes our walks are not as enjoyable as they could be....

PennyLane
29th May 2008, 12:02 AM
Penny treats them as if they are people passing by - looking for attention!!!

ice-cavi
29th May 2008, 12:35 AM
You could be talking about my Silva....She also has this fetish for cars....and the bigger the better:neutral:
I am very strict with her about it and she is slowly getting a bit better but she still has to stop'n stare when a truck drives by.

Daisy's Mom
29th May 2008, 12:46 AM
I posted this same problem about Daisy a few months ago. We've licked that problem, thank goodness! (We still have other issues, but in general, she is way better on the leash than she used to be!)

Here's what we did. Every time I heard or saw a car coming our way, I would stop, put her in a sit, hold up a treat near my face and say "Watch me." I would hold her attention in that sit until the car went all the way by, and then I gave her the treat. Since she's very treat motivated, she would immediately sit and stare up at the treat. It was very hard for her to ignore the car going by at first, but eventually, she held her attention on me. At first, I would face her toward me and away from the cars, but eventually I started having her face me with the cars going by behind me.

Doing this over and over and over every single time a car went by eventually worked. Now I don't have to do it any more and she completely ignores the cars. It was just a bad habit and now she's out of the habit. It took a lot of patience, but it worked. We are doing a similar thing right now with coming across other dogs. I'm starting to notice progress on that front, too.

I remember when she started doing that car thing, it scared me to death. She would lunge at every car, jumping and barking madly. I was so scared her leash would come off and she would be under the wheels in a split second, or a car would pass too closely from behind us and she would get hit while on the leash. I didn't dare let the kids hold the leash.

Good luck and perservere -- it's a tough problem, but Daisy is evidence that it can be solved! (And she's always been a wild woman on the leash.)

hbmama
29th May 2008, 12:54 AM
We have never had a problem with cars going by....Dottie finds them mildly interesting and keeps trotting along. However, she saw a motorcycle for the very first time on our walk last night and she wanted to go after it. I think because she could see the person riding it she thought maybe he was running by and she wanted to join in the fun. Who knows. I like the treat trick for future reference. Great idea!

cwarner
29th May 2008, 01:50 AM
LOL,
I can see this is a common problem ! Well we are just going to have to work with the little guy.
Now if we did the treat thing he'd be a 30lb furry blimp ... can't have that ! I have been putting him in a sit when he starts getting excited. It will just take some time though.

momay
29th May 2008, 09:11 PM
For low cal treats, we use organic cheerios from Trader Joe's (if you don't have one near you, try Whole Foods). They are somewhat bigger than regular Cheerios and very crunchy - mostly air. Sofee loves them. I take them on all my walks and we practice sits, downs, heels, paw and then play ball. They work like a charm and she is slim, - 16 1/4 lbs. I also think the treat thing really works well when they are hungry. If they are overweight/overfed, they are not as interested in food, especially food that might not be as appealing as a piece of meat or cheese.
good luck!

AussieCav
31st May 2008, 01:30 PM
Penny treats them as if they are people passing by - looking for attention!!!

Yep Bomber does that too trys to run up to the cars as if the person in the car is going to stop and pat him. I normally say No and continue walking.

Rosewoodsteel
1st June 2008, 05:18 PM
Charlie is good with passing cars.
The problem I have is when a car stops. This usually happens when a friend or neighbor wants to chat a bit. Charlie hates to see cars pulling away.
(He never wants to see anyone leave.)
When a car pulls away, he starts barking and only stops when I calm him down, or the car is out of sight...:paw:

mishmosh
1st June 2008, 06:00 PM
oh dear!

I had this problem with my dog when he was a puppy, but he grew out of it thankfully when he got to about 10/12 months! He used to really 'yap' !!