PDA

View Full Version : Treat hide and seek

hbmama
29th May 2008, 07:30 AM
Dottie enjoys her "cookie" treats as I give them, and of course looks for more. But when I give her a chewy, such as a Merricks bully stick, fish skin or tendon, she races off with it and starts rooting around for a good hiding place. If she places it and happens to see me watching her, she will dig it out of the toy box or wherever, and run off to another "secret" location with it. She will inevitably return empty handed, or empty mouthed, then go about her business of playing or napping.

I routinely go around the house to every conceivable place I would think she might have hidden the darned things, but rarely ever find any of them.:confused: Then, three or four days later, she will jump up, run off to another room and happily walk in with one of the missing chews, then lie down on the floor and enjoy it. Is this her version of "burying a bone" and does anyone else's Cav do this? We think it's kind of funny, but certainly a goofy behavior. :rolleyes:

chloe92us
29th May 2008, 03:41 PM
Mine don't do that, they chow down the minute I give them one but I think that's really cute! I'm sure it is her way of burying her bones and saving them for later! ;)

Ste
29th May 2008, 05:09 PM
I wish mine could develop such a laid back approach to their food, instead of simply sucking everything down their gullets straight off :D

Cleo's Person
29th May 2008, 05:35 PM
Cleo does this sometimes, especially with bones and/or favourite toys like her kong and her rope, which she likes to hide 'in' the stairs, so we find them on the corner, or under the cushions of the sofa! :) I definitely think it's their digging instinct coming out. I'm sure if we had a garden we'd find these all the time in the grass!

PennyLane
29th May 2008, 05:52 PM
I wish mine could develop such a laid back approach to their food, instead of simply sucking everything down their gullets straight off :D

Seriously - any type of food in this house doesn't last long when in the presence of a cavalier! :rolleyes:

Daisy's Mom
29th May 2008, 07:32 PM
I wish mine could develop such a laid back approach to their food, instead of simply sucking everything down their gullets straight off

I hear that. :p Treats don't last long around Daisy!

The only time Daisy has done this is if I give her a treat she really doesn't like that well. She doesn't want to ignore it completely, but she doesn't want to eat it either, so she goes off and hides it. I recently found one in the bottom of her toybox. She did this with some fish treats we recently tried. She rolled on them, picked them up in her mouth, carried them off and hid them, but would not eat one for anything.

Holly
29th May 2008, 07:50 PM
My parents Cavalier, Bentley, hides everything!! He is so funny... they had to give him antibiotics a while back. Apparently he didn't like them because one day they watched him and he spit it out and used his paw to hide it under a rug!!!

Karlin
29th May 2008, 10:39 PM
That is so funny that Dottie hides her treats and recovers them from secret places! :lol: None of mine do that. Mine will vacuum in virtually anthing. Pills are really easy to give around here -- Leo gets all exited when I say 'pills!' and gets his daily pills in a bit of Laughing Cow cheese. Gone in a nanosecond.

Claire L
30th May 2008, 12:06 AM
Our Rudee used to do that with sticks at the beach. She would swim out in the water to retrieve a stick and then march up to the dunes . Then she would look around to check if I was watching her and I would have to turn my back to her so that she could then hide her stick :sl*p:
She would then come running back to me looking for a new stick :roll:

Anya
30th May 2008, 07:58 AM
Cassidy does that too! She hides them all over the place at my mom's house (where she goes everyday during the day) and one time hid a piece of ice and went back for it later! At home she will walk around the house with the treat in her mouth and if she doesn't find a hiding place she likes she will whimper and make the throaty "gdhdhdhd" crying sound until we throw down a blanket or something for her to hide it in. I have no idea why because my house is not even as tidy as my mom's house so there should be more hiding places.

cosmic81
30th May 2008, 11:51 AM
i think my dog hides thing too.but they do it behind my back!.i see them walk away with treats then come back to me when i know they didnt finish eating them yet....i really wonder where he hides them too!