• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ruby n blk n tan with bit of white

leesanlucie

Hi all
Im off to view some pups tonite.
I am viewing a ruby bitch with a bit of white on it and a black n tan with a bit of white on it.
Do the white bits make a difference in any way to the dog....other that to look at obviously!
Anyone got one with white on it thats not really meant to?
Also...i have a blenhiem with one brown eye! Is my Lucie the only one with this?
leesa....and lucie!

Hi, I have a B&T and he has white on him, I personally think its nicer. If you want to show him though its supposed to be "undesirable", thats all I know :p

Like Sue said, it's only a problem if you want to show. If you are considering showing, I would pass on a wholecolor with white. To be totally correct, neither rubys or B & T's should have any white, but no problems for a pet.

as already been said the wholecolours shouldn't not have any white on them at all but but if its a pet then it really dosen't matter .... whats happend is somewhere in the pups pedigree there will be parti-colour hence the white has come through

Sorry i meant her eyes are brown but the fur aorund her eyes are meant to be brown but only one is!
anyone elses pooch like that?
leesa...and lucie

I personally wouldnt have taken my ruby if she had white in her.I just wanted the ruby throughout. But i have seen pictures of ruby and black and tan with white in them and they look lovely. As some people have said i just think they are supposed to be undesirable for showing....:luv:

Yep, it's an "undesirable" trait for the breed, but for a pet - does it matter? Chesney has a white chest... he was the only one on the litter that had the white! All of his siblings were solids. But look at that face - how can HE be *undesirable*?

Yep, it's an "undesirable" trait for the breed, but for a pet - does it matter? Chesney has a white chest... he was the only one on the litter that had the white! All of his siblings were solids. But look at that face - how can HE be *undesirable*?

HE IS JUST DEVINE!!!!!!! HE IS SO HANDSOME ITS NOT FUNNY....THATS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN....:lotsaluv::lotsaluv::lotsaluv::lotsaluv:

Last edited:
I know it's a fault for showing, but I have to say, I think those with a little white on their chests are very, very pretty. I would prefer it to one with no white, just to have a little more contrast and flash! I think they are gorgeous.

Lots of cavaliers are "half-masked" with only white around one of their eyes. It's a huge fault in the show ring, but if you like the look, then it's fine for a pet! Some people call it a "clown face." (Or is that when neither eye has the mask?)

BTW, I just got my CKCS USA annual and there are some gorgeous dogs in there! (I have to say, CH Allrena Henrietta has the most beautiful face I have ever seen on a Cavalier. She is so perfect she looks unreal. If they ever want to retire her and find a pet home for her, I'm ready and waiting!!!)

There was one albino Cavalier in there -- very, very weird. Obviously she wasn't a show dog, but the breeder put her picture in there with her show Cavaliers just as a curiosity I guess. Anybody else see that picture?

Last edited:
I know it's a fault for showing, but I have to say, I think those with a little white on their chests are very, very pretty. I would prefer it to one with no white, just to have a little more contrast and flash! I think they are gorgeous.

Lots of cavaliers are "half-masked" with only white around one of their eyes. It's a huge fault in the show ring, but if you like the look, then it's fine for a pet! Some people call it a "clown face." (Or is that when neither eye has the mask?)

BTW, I just got my CKCS USA annual and there are some gorgeous dogs in there! (I have to say, CH Allrene Henrietta has the most beautiful face I have ever seen on a Cavalier. She is so perfect she looks unreal. If they ever want to retire her and find a pet home for her, I'm ready and waiting!!!)

There was one albino Cavalier in there -- very, very weird. Obviously she wasn't a show dog, but the breeder put her picture in there with her show Cavaliers just as a curiosity I guess. Anybody else see that picture?
Id love to get my hands on that annual. Do you know is it available in ireland???

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.ckcsc.org/

I'm a member, so I get the annual every year. You don't have to be a show breeder to join (I only have a pet Cavalier myself), but I don't know any of the other requirements, if there are any. When I went to a show last year, they had the annuals for sale there onsite. They were pretty pricey if I remember right. I always look through them cover to cover the day I get it, just to look at all the beautiful dogs.

Well Lucie my dog only has one eye surrounded by brown fur!
and no chestnut spot on her head either!
Shes not perfect in the desirable way show dogs are but shes beautiful to me and i would never be without her! :lotsaluv:
Leesa. x

I have never seen a cav ruby or black n tan with white bits....unless i just didnt notice!

I think Chesney looks like he was drinking milk and ended up spilling it down his front. LOL!!!

Genetics are so fascinating, aren't they? It's amazing how all the different combos create different colors and patterns... and occasionally even if you have breed two solid ruby's together they throw a bit of their "colored" past into the babies. ;)

Penny is very "classic"ly marked... she has the mask over both eyes, the nice blenheim ears, and the thumb print on her head. :) But she's not going to be doing anything other than cuddling at my house! ;)

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.ckcsc.org/

I'm a member, so I get the annual every year. You don't have to be a show breeder to join (I only have a pet Cavalier myself), but I don't know any of the other requirements, if there are any. When I went to a show last year, they had the annuals for sale there onsite. They were pretty pricey if I remember right. I always look through them cover to cover the day I get it, just to look at all the beautiful dogs.

i have looked on the site....loads of books.....is it a big annual worth getting? is there loads of photos of just cavaliers? should i search under annuals for 2008? is that the name?

thanks in advance ruby 2

One of the puppies we bred a couple years ago has a half mask. You can see her in my bathtub picture. We could never show her in conformation, but I still think she's the cutest little girl! We dogsit for her every now and then and she is still as cute as she was as a puppy and is a total lap dog. Her people are absolutely in love with her.

Hmm, that's a good question. When I went under "bookstore," they listed the yearbooks only up to 2005. So they call it the Yearbook rather than the Annual. Maybe a more knowledgeable person can tell you where to find one on the site. They look to be $25.

It's really just a listing of show results, new champions, etc. with tons of pictures of winning dogs and ads from breeders with gorgeous pictures. It doesn't have how-tos, etc. It does list some basic info like breed standard. It also includes minutes from all the meetings. It's probably not something I would buy on its own if it didn't come with the membership. If you want lots of pictures of dogs and lots of info on the breed, I would look at the ones on the Laughing Cavalier (http://www.laughingcavaliers.com/). I'd love to have those, but they are very pricey. Maybe I'll ask for them for my birthday!

The coat color of a dog effects it in no other way but how it is seen.

Rocky is a solid ruby (genetically). He is in my avatar, and as you can see he has a white blaze, a full white chest, and four white feet.

He has a lot of white, but white splashing can easily happen when a pup is "Solid/Piebald White" at the locus for white spotting. There are always two alleles there, and Solid/Solid is the best way of getting no white spotting. Piebald/Piebald creates our blenheims. If you mix the two together, (as a pup always takes a single allele from each parent), then you will get pups with the Solid/Piebald mix at that locus. Solid is dominant, but does often let some white show through if Piebald is paired with it.

I like this splash coloring (obviously as I looked for this in a pet), and it is a part of Cavalier history if you check out this painting from 1853.

http://store.encore-editions.com/Detailed_Print_Information/Bernard_De_Gempt-A_Toy_Spaniel.html

I also have a toy spaniel painting from Jean Ranc in the late 1600s of a gorgeous dog that was obviously parti-sable! As the Papillon and Toy Spaniels shared history this just makes sense.

In the book "Toy Dogs and Their Ancestors", written in 1911, the writer of the book was quite aghast that white splashing on rubies and black and tans was made a DQ for the show ring. I have to agree with her. I think it is a shame that those setting standards decided to be so specific in colors and patterns. It most likely has prevented some wonderful dogs from lending their genes to our gene pool.

Arlene and her three, J.P. (Alaskan Husky), Missie (Tibetan Spaniel x Cavalier), and Rocky (All Cavalier)

Back