• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How could this happen?

Emma n Renco

How could this happen? :-(((((

Hi,
I posted on here a few days ago that Bella was in season again already and we were caught out again.

We had worked out the dates and thought we would get her checked by the vets to see if she was in season and just to get her a general check up.

Well this brought about a rather nasty shock. She wasn't in season, but the bloody stains were actually yellowy blood discharge patches from an infection inside her. The vet decided spaying her was the best option!!????!!!

They went ahead and spayed her immediately because her womb had an infection in it which was quite awful. She was given antibiotics introvenously and painkillers. We collected her and all seemed fine. Then we saw blood on her baby grow. So we took her back and were told it was just discharge still from the infection that was there... She was given a shot to make the wound contract (don't understand the details) but then when we came home again she was dripping blood everywhere. We rushed back again and they said it was because the shot that made the wound contract had squeezed blood out of the wound. She used a scope to check everything was ok inside and it was. We have to monitor her tonight and take her back again tomorrow to be checked. She is still bleeding slightly.
I honestly don't understand how this infection could have become so bad, and why we hadn't noticed anything in her behaviour. If we hadn't taken her for a checkup we would never have known and this could have ended very badly... I'm worried sick that she is bleeding now and will be glad when morning comes and we can take her in to the vets again. But also frightened that she çame down'with a womb infection from what appears to be nowhere!

Has anyone ever had this experience before? Do we need to get another opinion on the bleeding? :-( The vet hospital that we use is really excellent and has a lot of experience with cavaliers and so we aren't questioning their vetinary skills but all humans can get things wrong and when it comes to our fur babies we can never be too sure!

Last edited:
Did they mention pyometria? It's a strange occurence, it can be "closed" where you wouldn't see discharge but would notice behavior from being ill with infection, and I believe that is the most serious case. Yours sounds like it was open,and that is why you saw the discharge. It's very serious, and really no reason but thank goodness it was caught in time and that you trust your vets. This is something that can happen in any breed.

This does sound like pyometra. You are very fortunate you took her in -- it is often fatal. Usually they MUST spay at this point. One of the main reasons for spaying female dogs is this particular infection. I'd follow whatever your vets are saying -- I haven't dealt with this myself though I know a few people on the board have. I hope she is better quickly; it is just so lucky for her and for you that you brought her in. :flwr:

It sounds like Pyometra to me, too, which can happen to any intact female dog, at any age, at any time . I have heard of rare cases where the infection can be brought under control with an open pyometra, but more often then not even with aggressive treatment, the dog still ends up having to be spayed - In the event of a close pyo, an immediate spay is necissary to save the dog's life. Open you've got a little more time to work with, but honestly - I would recommend following the vet's advice and get her spayed before the infection has chance to spread.

Thank you - this gives me the chills just thinking about what events could have unfolded, it just amazes me and scares me that dogs are unable to give any warning about things being wrong.

I have just been reading about Pyometra now through the link - thanks Karlin. It's text book as to what happened and it does sound like open Pyometra.

Thank you for the posts, we are counting our lucky stars that this was discovered in time.

It sure sounds like pyometra. Thank goodness you got her sorted out in time. It seems to come out of nowhere, but the reality is that the uterus can have infection brewing in it for a long time before a discharge and/or symptoms are noticed. When I was a child our family dog at the time was well one day & mortally ill the next. Sadly she did not survive her surgery.

I am so glad this got sorted when it did. I hope she continues to recover well.

Those are exactly the symptoms that Cindy, my springer had, many years ago, when spaying wasn't routine, because anaesthetics weren't as safe as they are nowadays.

Cindy had a season, at nine years (so quite late) and then a few days after she should have been clear, she began a slight beleed again, but this bleed was brownish and smaelly; not the usaul.

The vet operated next morning. My neighbour had something similar, with his cocker, a few weeks ago and his vet operated staright after the consulation. It is usual to spay if a bitch gets pyometra and ,in fact, avoiding this illness, which can be rapidly fatal is the main reason, besides having no unwanted puppies, that people have their girls done.

Pyometra is not limited to older bitches, either. Anita, a member of this forum, nearly lost her Millie, at under a year and onset was very very rapid.

How Terrifying! I was tearing up, reading about Bella's emergency. I am so glad you took her to the vet to see what the matter was. :flwr: I hope Bella has a full and quick recovery.

Thank you so much for posting about Pyometra. I never heard of this condition.

Bad news - the bleeding hasn't stopped and after we were out for a while - we came back and blood was everywhere. :-( feel so so sad for her. The vet has told us to take her in at 5.45 to be observed for the weekend :-(

Bella's at the vets for the night, felt so horrible leaving her in the cage there but she's so weak and trembling from head to toe - she really needs to be there to be looked after.... :-( the vet will call us with updates regularly so fingers and toes crossed that they can find what's causing the bleeding...

Thinking of you and hoping Bella is back out to you soon. It will be good for her to be under the close eye of a vet. :flwr:

How awful for Bella and yourselves.

I do hope that Bella improves quickly and is home soon. :flwr:

That was quite a shock for you.Hopefully all will be well and she'll make a rapid and full recovery.Thankfully you contacted the vet as a precaution.
Please keep us updated,she's better off at the vets where she can receive expert care,
Sins

I really hope she will be ok for you...My god you were lucky.

She is is the best place now...let us know how she is poor thing.:xfngr::xfngr:

The vet just called to say they have xrayed her and can't see any fluid inside, they have also used a scope to check all is ok with the stitches and everything is fine.

The 'stump' where the womb was removed from is bleeding still but that is because it was so infected, apparently the blood smells extremely bad and that is due to the infection so they know where the blood is coming from. They have given her another shot of antibiotics and are keeping her there but are sure that once the infection has completely gone the bleeding will stop. She will call us at 10am to give us an update, but if it is just a case of giving antibiotics and 'mopping up after her' then we should bring her home where she will be relaxed and cuddled.

Will report again tomorrow when we hear from the vets again. Thank you for all of your lovely posts, it's such a relief to have a place to contact people who can offer great advice and comfort in these tougher times.. xx

Oh, that is good that they seem to have her infection somewhat under control. What a fright for all of you! Please keep us updated!

Poor Bella. This must be so hard for you and Renco. I hope you will get good news tomorrow that Bella is on the mend.

Hi again!

Here's the update, Bella stayed at the vets last night and we were able to pick her up today. The bleeding slowed down a lot last night after some injections. The main thing the vet has focused on is the antibiotics as the blood still smells of the infection, and so she is on very strong antubiotic doses for the next 2 weeks to clear it up completely. She has bled today a few times but nothing compared to yesterday.... phew!

She has also eaten and is more spritely so we are on the way back up I hope :)))) we have to take her back in a couple of days for another check up. We are so pleased with the vets excellent care for Bella, they really have been great!

Thanks again for all of your posts, we really appreciated them :) xxx

Back