PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake:(

ice-cavi
31st May 2008, 11:49 PM
We had a big earthquake here in my area 2 days ago and everybody is a bit jumpy still,icl my 2 furbabies.
The quake was rated 6.3 at richter and has done quite a bit of damage to many houses,roads et.c but luckyli no one was severley injured and no one died.
The earthquake started in "our mountain "and I actually just came home from a nice walk there with my two cavaliers:eek: Lots of rock/stone started rolling down the mountain and I´m not sure we´d be here today if we´d been there when the earthquake started!
Anyway everybody is safe,but we have been sleeping in the livingroom in a huge pile as a precaution and probably will for a few nights more.

http://s3.frontur.com/img/57124/20080531214418_1.jpg

My kids and my dogs seem to LOVE this arangement but I must admit I miss my bed:o

Charleen
1st June 2008, 12:22 AM
It looks like a big sleep over party. I am glad everyone is safe.

*Pauline*
1st June 2008, 12:57 AM
I'm glad no one was hurt. Keep safe and make sure you have a good supply of food and water in case services are cut off. Thinking of you :hug:

Rosewoodsteel
1st June 2008, 01:57 AM
I'm glad no one was hurt. Keep safe and make sure you have a good supply of food and water in case services are cut off. Thinking of you :hug:

Great advice!

You may want to add a few other items to the list:
Fully charged cell phone(s)
Couple of flash lights with plenty of batteries
Candles
Full tank of gas in all vehicles
Charcoal for cooking.
Fill up your bathtub(s) with water

We have a lot of power outages in our neighborhood, so we've had to do all of the above.
Earthquakes are obviously a horse of another color, so please take care :paw:.

hbmama
1st June 2008, 06:33 AM
Glad your family and pups are all okay. Earthquakes can be very scary. I know from experience, living in quaky California. I have been through at least 5 of them registering 6 or 7 on the richter scale, and many many more in the 4 and 5 scale range. Fortunately we have not had any damage other than a few broken dishes and things falling off shelves.

Typically you will get alot of aftershocks following an earthquake the size you experienced. Most of them are smaller and shorter duration thankfully, but still can make you jump! Best thing is to always be prepared with plenty of water, canned food, flashlights and batteries. Hopefully you will be over and done with it and back to normal soon!

Kristy
1st June 2008, 09:52 AM
so glad everyone is okay! stay safe :)

ice-cavi
1st June 2008, 11:58 AM
Earthquakes are very common in our area(Southern Iceland) and we had two big ones in the summer 2000. I´ll never get used to them but we are allways prepared :)
The drinking water is dirty after the qauke and authority has been delivering fresh water to everybody. Luckily the Icelandic summer has daylight 24/7 since its a lot more scary in darkness!
There has been a lot of aftershocks and still are but everybody is ok :)
Also one school has been turned in to a RED KROSS center providing food,medication and shelter for those in need so we are in very good hands :)

chloe'sdee
1st June 2008, 02:29 PM
So glad you and your family are safe.
Everyone looks so cozy, love the skull blankets,
my kids would love them.;)

karenc
1st June 2008, 05:58 PM
Sounds scary but glad you are all ok and well prepared. Everyone and furbabes look so comfy and peaceful.:)

jennifer
1st June 2008, 06:17 PM
glad you are all ok. earthquakes must be really scary. engalnd did have one recently but i slept through it. :rolleyes: It was not a very big one though but even that was enough to worry people.

pippa
1st June 2008, 06:52 PM
So glad you are all safe.

Cathy T
3rd June 2008, 01:52 AM
How scary....but so glad you are all safe. You all look very cozy piled up together!! :)

Karlin
3rd June 2008, 02:06 AM
We had news of that quake here and I was wondering if it affected anyone on the board. That was a big quake. I can see why kids and dogs would like the sleeping arrangements though. :)

ruby2
3rd June 2008, 11:32 AM
well thank god you are all ok... Touch wood !! We have not ever had an earthquake here in southern ireland. But with the weather these days you just never know. I wouldnt have a clue what to do, bar panicking. Well done to you all and hope you will all be ok.....:xfngr:

jatomic
14th June 2008, 07:30 PM
Luckily you are OK! I read about it in the paper and at the same time I thought it is a blessing to live in an area which does not suffer from natural catastrophes. The only thing we have to deal with is coldness in winter but you get used to it. Hope everything is back to normal again.

The kids and dogs seem comfy, though :)