PDA

View Full Version : help cleaning ears

nubus
2nd June 2008, 12:17 AM
hi can anyone give me advise on cleaning the ears i clean her ears every other day with just a little warm water and cotton wool then fully dry them but since its got a bit warmer my ruby seems to be getting waxy smelly ears shes been vet checked for mites recently and infection but there were fine i just wondered if any of you out there use any cleaner or wipes of any kind

Holly
2nd June 2008, 12:24 AM
I use Thornit Powder in their ears every so often, per their breeder's recommendation! It's great... keeps their ears dry and clean!

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx

cosmic81
2nd June 2008, 10:05 AM
i dont think u are suppose to use water from my experience.
i usually use ear solutions from the dr. but you can get them from petco/petsmart as well.

PennyLane
2nd June 2008, 11:41 AM
I put the ear cleaning solution and soak a cotton ball with it, stick in their ear, and then massage from the outside for a second... then wipe it around and throw it away, then dry it off. :)

ppotterfield
2nd June 2008, 01:43 PM
I use Thornit Powder in their ears every so often, per their breeder's recommendation! It's great... keeps their ears dry and clean!

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx (http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx)

I have some Thornit which I used a couple times with Buddy but it seemed to "cake" in his ears. I wondered whether I was using too much. How much do you use and how do you get it down in their tiny ear openings?

Holly
2nd June 2008, 01:52 PM
I have some Thornit which I used a couple times with Buddy but it seemed to "cake" in his ears. I wondered whether I was using too much. How much do you use and how do you get it down in their tiny ear openings?

I just lay them on their sides, open the ear flap and sprinkle a litte bit in. I have read that you can put some on a popsicle stick/tongue depressor and gently blow it in. I massage the ear from the outside once it's in. If it's caking, you must be using too much. :)

nubus
2nd June 2008, 07:31 PM
thanks everyone for advise i know what you mean about the water but i dont wet them i only dampen the cotton wool i know not to get water in her ears i put cotton wool the ears even when she has a bath so not to get water in as i know from other dogs ive had can cause problems

Caraline
3rd June 2008, 02:18 AM
Yep, I'd keep away from water in the ear canal as a moist environment encourages nasties. I use EpiOtic ear clearner, but your vet will have a similar product (if not this one) that is safe for cleaning ears.

Cathy T
3rd June 2008, 02:56 AM
I use both earoptic and the thornit powder. I bought the earoptic and the pet store. I was really surprised they carried it.

Holly - I do the thornit powder the same way. In fact...you told me that's how you do it!! ;) And it works great. I just tap a little into the ears and then massage it around a little.

Holly
3rd June 2008, 03:13 AM
Holly - I do the thornit powder the same way. In fact...you told me that's how you do it!! ;) And it works great. I just tap a little into the ears and then massage it around a little.

Glad I could help, Cathy! :)

Rosalita tended to have problematic ears, but since using Thorn-it regularly, her ears are great!

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 01:18 PM
hi can anyone give me advise on cleaning the ears i clean her ears every other day with just a little warm water and cotton wool then fully dry them but since its got a bit warmer my ruby seems to be getting waxy smelly ears shes been vet checked for mites recently and infection but there were fine i just wondered if any of you out there use any cleaner or wipes of any kind

The smell is likely yeast from the moist/ warm environment in her ears. I have the same thing with my Cav. I use an herbal ear wash daily and added a probiotic to his food that promotes good bacteria. The probiotic works to keep the yeast at bay internally, in addition to a plethora of other health benefits.

nubus
3rd June 2008, 01:56 PM
yes i thought it might be as she gets very warm ears when shes been sleeping :D whats the wash you use do you make it or buy it :rolleyes: do you find the probiotic helps at all ,is it the natural kind sorry for all the questions just curious

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 09:30 PM
yes i thought it might be as she gets very warm ears when shes been sleeping :D whats the wash you use do you make it or buy it :rolleyes: do you find the probiotic helps at all ,is it the natural kind sorry for all the questions just curious

No problem! I use Halo Ear Wash, its herbal...available at all Petsmart and most Whole Foods in the US. For probiotic, I use Pet Flora - available here:
http://www.vitalityscience.com/

The probiotic is also great for soothing the G.I. tract and digestion!

nubus
4th June 2008, 11:19 PM
great advise everyone thanks:thmbsup: ill have her ears smelling great:flwr: in no time