• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

So lucky...

vicarrieous

(previous post for background info)

I posted earlier about Kip's bedtime habits. Per everyone suggestions, we moved him downstairs next to our bed, removed his food/water atleast 2 hours before bedtime, and made sure he was tired out before bed.

(For those who arent aware, Kip is 18 weeks old and cant seem to make it through the night)

We are making sure he is worn down before bed but he is STILL putting up a fight by barking, scratching, pleeding to let him out. We have been hiding treats in his crate, feeding him in his crate, and giving him a treat before bed to get him accustomed to it but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Since we have moved him downstairs, we are no longer setting an alarm to take him out, instead he is waking us up which is good. BUT before he was making it until 3ish in the morning and we had been moving it back little by little every couple nights. Now he is waking up around 12:30-1am and continues the whole barking/scratching routine again. Lately (The past couple days) he has been waking up at 5-5:30am crying and whining to go out. (Normally he goes to bed about 10 -10:30 and we are up by 6-6;30). Last night it was up at 12:30 then at 3 and again at 5:30! :eek:

By no means are we angry with our little guy, but we are so dissapointed in ourselves that our training isnt seeming to work/stick. It is very frustrating and saddening to hear him cry and know that we have been dealing with this for the past 2 months and we feel like failed parents. :(

My husband has been great in saying that he is still a puppy and it could take a lot more time (even though I know he is tired and gets frustrated by the barking, scratching, and whining), but here on the boards it seems like puppies should have it by 12-14 weeks. I dont want my Kip stressed out, I want him to love going to sleep and feel calm and relaxed. Sometimes I wonder if he is even sleeping at night, or if he is up all night chewing on his bed in his crate.

Please any help, suggestions, or reassurance would be great....:cry*ing:

I was reading my old post about my troubles with Kipling and his crate training. It was a rough time sticking to the procedure because we never knew what he wanted or what or if we were doing something wrong. I think for atleast a month my husband and I were getting up every couple hours just to let him out. I was pretty sure that he didn't sleep a wink at night.

After many long discussions, we opted to get another cavalier for our family. (Needless to say my husband was the one trying to convince me) Many people worried that it would be too soon since Kip was only 4 1/2 months when we picked up Albie, but now looking back on it, I think it was one of the best decisions we have ever made. Not only do we love our little peanut Albie, but KIp and him couldn't be better buds. They teach eachother so much and keep eachother company while we are not there. Plus, I think cavalier cuddles are the CUTEST thing by far.

Night time now is not a time of dread. From the very first night it was a MILLION times better. We faulted ourselves for so long thinking that we were doing something wrong with Kip at night but now I am even more confident that he just didnt want to be alone. When we go downstairs for bed both know right away that its night time. I can say kennel and they go right and wait for a treat. In less than a minute they are both settled down and most of the time snoring ( I didnt know snoring could be so cute and sweet! lol) Its so nice to know that they feel safe and secure, plus the uninterrupted sleep isnt bad either. In the morning, Kip usually wakes up first just around alarm time, and are just ready for the day.

When we got Kip I didnt think I could love another like him, but with Albie, I just couldnt have it any other way. They are just perfect for me and the hubby and we say a millions times a day how lucky we are. They are the typical cavy's, sweet loyal charasimatic and darling, but each with their own personality.

I guess why I am writing this post is just to update and thank everyone who is all so supportive and helpful on this board. We are all so lucky to experience the love of a (or many) cavalier(s).

I dont mean to brag, but I think we all would agree that one cant help but brag about their puppies when they have the chance.

Do you ever have those moments when your dogs make you so proud?

What a wonderful story!!!!! Thanks for telling it. We also got another one (Charlie) when Lady was 4 months and it was the best thing we ever did too. Lady was very lonely and the two of them are the best of friends and it is so great to see them so happy together. What colour are your two?

So glad its all worked out for you:rah: When Minnie came to us first, she was very scared and had really bad separation anxiety. A few weeks later Cara came along and Minnie settled really quickly - I guess she needed a big sister to look up to.

Back