PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Else Feed Raw?

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 01:28 PM
I was wondering if there are any raw feeders on this forum. I feed my Cav a raw diet and it saved his life after a bout of severe puppyhood colitis...Anybody else?

CavyMom
3rd June 2008, 04:58 PM
I feed raw, and my dogs all do amazing on it!

Dublin
3rd June 2008, 05:03 PM
I don't feed raw but I used to - one dog did great on it but Cass didn't so I went back to Naturediet - but they do get a nice raw bone aprox once a week as their teeth were excelent on the raw food.

SParky has had 2 raw bones & loves them - I have thought about giving him a chicken wing every so often (they make Cass sick) to keep his teeth nice but I'm a bit worried he will swallow them whole as he's a bit of a gobbler!

Out of interest what do you raw feeders feed as I think it's more difficult feeding small dogs raw - only my opinion! I'd love to feed Sparks raw but just think it would be unfair with Cass not really baing able to stomach it - she would get sick a few hours after eating a chicken wing & her coat went very greasy & dull looking & flaky skin (& she was having fish oil suppliments & dorwest herbs keepers mix)

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 05:07 PM
I feed prepackaged raw thats made in California, the brand is called Primal, but am starting to switch to prey model (natural) raw feeding as we are relocating with the dogs overseas next year. I know a lot of small dog owners in Yorkie Talk use a meat grinder and partially grind the parts/bones before giving them to small dogs.

Dublin
3rd June 2008, 05:20 PM
We don't have anything like that here in Ireland - I used to feed raw mince in England called forthglade which included crushed bonemeal but can't get that here!

I didn't think of a grinder though!

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 05:23 PM
Yep, I am planning on having a grinder after we move as I won't go back to feeding kibble. Apparently the only brands available in Israel are Purina and Science Diet. Blech!:grnyuk:

Dublin
3rd June 2008, 05:27 PM
OMG - that must be worse than Ireland for dog food then!

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 05:33 PM
Seems that way. I can't find anything online about raw feeders or natural/ holistic pet care in israel. This will be one interesting adventure. Perhaps its there, just not online as there are a huge community of americans and their dogs!

i wont lie, I'll sure miss just popping by the pet shop and buying 8 lbs of meats all ready to feed!

Cathy T
3rd June 2008, 07:50 PM
I also feed Primal to both of mine and they are doing fantastic on it.

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 08:21 PM
Cathy,

I heard in California pet superstores have freezers for raw feeding. Is that true? If so - how cool!!

After panicking all day, I finally found someone on one of these forums in Israel to email and she has a vet friend who makes raw diets for dogs! At least I can arrange to have some premade for the first few weeks till I find a good butcher.

My cav does so well on Primal though. He eats like a "King" - he eats the Pheasant, Duck & Venison formulas!

Denise G.
3rd June 2008, 09:07 PM
Mia had terrible puppy colitis and couldn't tolerate kibble either. I put her on Nature's Variety raw food and she's not had one episode of colitis since. We love it!:D

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 09:13 PM
Mia had terrible puppy colitis and couldn't tolerate kibble either. I put her on Nature's Variety raw food and she's not had one episode of colitis since. We love it!:D

Yay raw! Thats what got me to raw - Louis had puppy colitis :(

hbmama
3rd June 2008, 11:08 PM
Cathy, do you feed the Primal diet with kibble, or do they just get the raw meat? I have seen it at the Pet Supply where we shop but didn't know much about it. More info please??? I think I would like to try it.

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 11:12 PM
Cathy, do you feed the Primal diet with kibble, or do they just get the raw meat? I have seen it at the Pet Supply where we shop but didn't know much about it. More info please??? I think I would like to try it.

Kibble and raw digest at different rates and using different mechanisms to break down. Raw and kibble should be fed between 6-8 hours apart from one another :)

cy1266
3rd June 2008, 11:30 PM
My boys are on raw. They have a combination of prepared raw (Primal) and RMBs (chicken necks and wings, turkey necks, lamb riblets, beef necks, organ meat), yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin, seaweed, cooked fish, raw eggs, olive oil and many supplements. They are doing very well on raw.

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 11:39 PM
My boys are on raw. They have a combination of prepared raw (Primal) and RMBs (chicken necks and wings, turkey necks, lamb riblets, beef necks, organ meat), yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin, seaweed, cooked fish, raw eggs, olive oil and many supplements. They are doing very well on raw.

Hurray for Cavaliers on Raw!!!

CupofDog
3rd June 2008, 11:42 PM
I just started a group for raw feeders! I hope you all will join and we can share tips, experiences and pictures that show how our gorgeous Cavs thrive on raw feasting!!!

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/group.php?groupid=8

hbmama
4th June 2008, 12:49 AM
Okay, I just joined CupofDog's club. Also, thanks for the answer re not feeding kibble and raw within so many hours of each other. Have alot of questions posted. Looking forward to some good answers from those of you who are experienced raw feeders!

CupofDog
4th June 2008, 12:59 AM
Okay, I just joined CupofDog's club. Also, thanks for the answer re not feeding kibble and raw within so many hours of each other. Have alot of questions posted. Looking forward to some good answers from those of you who are experienced raw feeders!

Thanks for joining! My name is Hilary by the way. I am a passionate dog lover, am serious about pet nutrition and read everything I can get my hands on. I do lean towards a holistic approach, but firmly believe in being middle of the road and putting an dog's well being over any 'beliefs.'

There is no right answer for every dog or their people. My Cavalier Louis is my teacher, my heart and my soul pup. This breed has changed my life and I am so grateful to be a member of a community of fellow Cav lovers. :thmbsup:

Caraline
4th June 2008, 01:24 AM
You bet! I feed raw (home prepared) and would never go back to anything else. One of the best things that happened and I feel pretty confident is a result of feeding raw, is the way our 11 year old Boxer boy now feels & looks. Eighteen months ago (when getting primarily kibble) Sam looked old & his arthritis caused him so much trouble that I wondered how he would cope in the coming winter. Well these days he bops around like a little puppy & it has been 12 months since I have had to give him a dose of carprofen... even during winter. He is honestly more active than he was 4 years ago.

CupofDog
4th June 2008, 01:28 AM
You bet! I feed raw (home prepared) and would never go back to anything else. One of the best things that happened and I feel pretty confident is a result of feeding raw, is the way our 11 year old Boxer boy now feels & looks. Eighteen months ago (when getting primarily kibble) Sam looked old & his arthritis caused him so much trouble that I wondered how he would cope in the coming winter. Well these days he bops around like a little puppy & it has been 12 months since I have had to give him a dose of carprofen... even during winter. He is honestly more active than he was 4 years ago.

YAY!! :jump:
Join our new raw feeding group! We need home prepared raw feeders to assist us! http://board.cavaliertalk.com/group.php?groupid=8

I just love how raw diets are linked to these great stories about restored vitality in our pets!

shell nyc
4th June 2008, 01:46 AM
I go away for 1 day and there are 3 pages of Raw Cavs!! :D

Winston's breeder advocates feeding at least partially raw, but I wasn't comfortable with it at first. When Winston was about 6 months old we started feeding 1/2 raw, and a few months after that went all raw** with no turning back! Winston (1.5yr) and his GSD sis Kelsey (11.5 yrs) eat a prey-model raw diet, along with a salmon body oil supplement. They are happy, healthy, clean teeth...couldn't ask for more! Winston (16lbs) runs 3-4 miles with me a few times a week no problem, and Kelsey is looking better now than she has in years.

Heading over now to join the new Raw Cavs group!!!

**I travel a lot, and am not really comfortable with the boarders feeding raw, so they get grain-free kibble and canned when I'm out of town.

CupofDog
4th June 2008, 01:48 AM
**I travel a lot, and am not really comfortable with the boarders feeding raw, so they get grain-free kibble and canned when I'm out of town.

Glad to have you in our group! Hurray for raw! I agree, when I travel I use grain free kibble/canned. I keep them used to it by using the kibble as treats.

Cathy T
4th June 2008, 01:52 AM
I don't feed kibble with Primal. It's just the Primal. They also get a glob of pumpkin, an ice cube (defrosted) of pureed fruits and veggies, salmon oil and a probiotic. Shelby also gets Seacure for her knee and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement.

For travel have you looked at Stella & Chewy's freeze dried? I've not tried it but just talked to someone the other day who uses it.

shell nyc
4th June 2008, 02:56 AM
For travel have you looked at Stella & Chewy's freeze dried? I've not tried it but just talked to someone the other day who uses it.

What timing! I was picking up kibble/cans to leave for them during my next trip when I noticed that the store sells a variety of Stella & Chewy's. It looks good and I would probably try it if it was just Winston, but with a 65lb dog to feed as well I don't think I can afford it!

MishathePooh
4th June 2008, 04:46 AM
I feed raw as well. Seems to keep my boy healthy and in good energy. I just make sure to carefully handle it and wash his food bowl after each meal :-)

Dublin
4th June 2008, 10:04 AM
I just started a group for raw feeders! I hope you all will join and we can share tips, experiences and pictures that show how our gorgeous Cavs thrive on raw feasting!!!

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/group.php?groupid=8

Theres another good site for raw feeders - it's an american site & thers a forum dedicated to raw feeding - www.dogster.com (http://www.dogster.com)

Dublin
4th June 2008, 10:12 AM
I don't feed kibble with Primal. It's just the Primal. They also get a glob of pumpkin, an ice cube (defrosted) of pureed fruits and veggies, salmon oil and a probiotic. Shelby also gets Seacure for her knee and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement.

DOh! I read that as you feed deforsted ice cubes! Was thinking 'why didn't she just say water' - the re-read it!!!:)

CupofDog
4th June 2008, 12:15 PM
I feed raw as well. Seems to keep my boy healthy and in good energy. I just make sure to carefully handle it and wash his food bowl after each meal :-)

Cleanliness is one of the most important components of feeding raw. I use stainless steel bowls and wash after with hot water and soap!

Dublin
4th June 2008, 12:33 PM
Ive joined the group - but defo need to look into it more before I go raw again.

As I said my Jack russell Cass allways was sick after eating chicken wings & had a manky coat so I'd be reluctant to put her fully over to raw again really but I'd like to give Sparky a go on it.

Any advice what I should start with as he's only ickle! (He does love a big marobone though!) Would be great if we had some of those pre-made frozen raw diets here in Ireland that you guys in the USA seem to have!

CupofDog
4th June 2008, 12:36 PM
Ive joined the group - but defo need to look into it more before I go raw again.

As I said my Jack russell Cass allways was sick after eating chicken wings & had a manky coat so I'd be reluctant to put her fully over to raw again really but I'd like to give Sparky a go on it.

Any advice what I should start with as he's only ickle! (He does love a big marobone though!) Would be great if we had some of those pre-made frozen raw diets here in Ireland that you guys in the USA seem to have!

Perhaps chicken isn't his thing? Have you tried any beef organs? Lamb meat? Some dogs may have a sensitivity to poultry - and keep in mind that if you are just starting raw, your Cav may get a upset tummy after eating and it sounds like the coat you are describing was him detoxing and purging supressed immune deficiencies...

Dublin
4th June 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi,

Cass was only sick after eating chicken wings but was grand after eating everything else, I used to feed her (in rotation) liver, heart, kidney, mackral, chicken breast, turkey mince, beef mince, lamb mince, chicken & turkey drumsticks, sardines, lamb shank. I fed her & my other dog Leo (who died in march) raw for 8 months & then went back to naturediet as Cass was looking so bad, I'd heard about the detox etc so I had kept going but I figured after that amount of time it was going on a bit long.

Ashley
4th June 2008, 02:39 PM
Oh me me... I feed raw!

I get my raw meat from a company called Landywoods. I just package up a full section of my freezer with the packs of raw meet. If I had more room then i'd get a separate freezer, but no need at the moment.

I started on raw as soon as we got Holly at 14 weeks. This is mainly because I read A LOT on the subject and had the help and guidance of some of the members of my Dog School. Have never looked back since though.

On the odd occassion though I do give Holly some JWB kibble... but she often looks at me as if... "Mum... I think you've fogotten my meat!!".

We've just taken on Murphy as well and ive switched him to a raw diet too. He was on just plain Iams.

The best thing is, its great to see the dogs really really enjoying their food, and its good for them too! :D:rah:

Oh, meant to say, they get minced meat, chicken, tripe, liver, and they also get fish!

Dublin
4th June 2008, 02:45 PM
Ashley - do give them meat on the bone? or is it just mince?

Ashley
4th June 2008, 02:48 PM
No its just mince.

Dublin
4th June 2008, 03:08 PM
Do you use suppliments or give recreational bones or anything?

CupofDog
4th June 2008, 03:16 PM
Hi,

Cass was only sick after eating chicken wings but was grand after eating everything else, I used to feed her (in rotation) liver, heart, kidney, mackral, chicken breast, turkey mince, beef mince, lamb mince, chicken & turkey drumsticks, sardines, lamb shank. I fed her & my other dog Leo (who died in march) raw for 8 months & then went back to naturediet as Cass was looking so bad, I'd heard about the detox etc so I had kept going but I figured after that amount of time it was going on a bit long.

As long as Cass is healthy now! I am a huge advocate for raw - but am a middle of the road sort of gal - its not right for everyone and not right for every dog! The most important thing is a healthy pet I think!!

How is Cass now? What are you feeding?

Dublin
4th June 2008, 03:27 PM
I'd say I'm like you too, I think raw is great but it's like everything, what suits one wont allways suit the other.

Cass was fine aprox a week after finishing with raw - although like I said she does get a nice raw bone every couple of weeks & Sparly has now had 2 bones!

Both her & Sparky (20 wks cav) are fed Naturediet ( http://www.naturediet.net/products/index.html?cat_branch=premium/ ) a holistic wet food from England & mixer biscuit, but I don't like feeding mixer - the naturediet says it's a complete food but I can't see how it can clean teeth - & about a month after putting cass back on naturediet (as i didn't give her bones for a while) her teeth were quite stained again - wheras when she was on raw I took her for her annual booster, the vet was looking down her notes & asked me where I had gotten her dental done as her teeth were spotless & there was no record of a dental on her notes!

Ashley
4th June 2008, 03:28 PM
Do you use suppliments or give recreational bones or anything?

I give some probiotic yoghurt sometimes, and also some veggies. The veggies are usually from what we have for dinner. I just make a bit extra!

Theyve not had bones, not because i dont want to give them, but because I dont have a garden. I wouldnt trust them to keep them on the towel.

They get pigs ears! :)

Dublin
4th June 2008, 03:32 PM
My old dog Leo used to take his chicken wings into his bed to eat! (& I had to wash his bed every time!!)

CupofDog
4th June 2008, 04:26 PM
I'd say I'm like you too, I think raw is great but it's like everything, what suits one wont allways suit the other.

Cass was fine aprox a week after finishing with raw - although like I said she does get a nice raw bone every couple of weeks & Sparly has now had 2 bones!

Both her & Sparky (20 wks cav) are fed Naturediet ( http://www.naturediet.net/products/index.html?cat_branch=premium/ ) a holistic wet food from England & mixer biscuit, but I don't like feeding mixer - the naturediet says it's a complete food but I can't see how it can clean teeth - & about a month after putting cass back on naturediet (as i didn't give her bones for a while) her teeth were quite stained again - wheras when she was on raw I took her for her annual booster, the vet was looking down her notes & asked me where I had gotten her dental done as her teeth were spotless & there was no record of a dental on her notes!

Thats amazing! Clean teeth are so difficult. Have you thought about using a canine dental toothpaste and brushing them? Its not hard. I prefer an enzymatic toothpaste because it bubbles and foams...I use that since my dogs are on premade raw which is not as good as prey model for clean teeth.

Dublin
5th June 2008, 12:39 PM
I have some 'Logic' at home, the vet reccomended it to me but to be honest I didn't see any difference. At crufts this year I bought some 'plaque-off' & that didn't make any difference either - apart from giving Cass horrible breath! (plus someone on dogster told me that theres some poison in that too - can't remember which one!).

I'm trying to train Sparky to let me look at his teeth as for some reason he dosn't like us looking in his mouth (or clipping his nails for that matter!) so at the moment brushing for him isn't really an option, I did buy dome chichen wings yesterday & was going to see what he did with those last night - but I left them in the fridge at work & only remembered when I got home! So I'll take them home tonight (:xfngr:) & see how he gets on. Cass's teeth are grand now she gets her bone every so often though - you wouldn't think she was 10 by her teeth even though they're not as clean as they were when she was on raw.