• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Reccomendations!

LaLa

Hiya,

I am not sure I have spelt that right, lol, but I am sure you know what I mean!

I was wondering if anyone can recomend breeders in the midlands. Only I want to make the right choice when we do get our pup :paw: I have been looking at champ dogs web site so far.

I hope it is ok to ask this :confused:

I think it's okay to ask but responses will need to be privately made. This is from the Getting Started section about discussing breeders publicly

4) No critical discussions of individual breeders please. It is also not acceptable to name individuals or kennels that you believe may be operating puppy mills/puppy farms or backyard breeders, as loathsome as such people may be. This is not because I believe such topics should be censored, but because the legal climate in which boards operate remains murky, and libel and defamation law varies hugely between jurisdictions (meaning between nations and even US states). I am not giving such bottom feeders the chance to close down a board or go after the board community. You are welcome to take such discussions off the board. General discussions about what makes breeders good and bad, puppy mills/farms, and regulation or the lack of it is fine.

Yes, please take any discussion of individual breeders privately, via PM, please. There is a lot of information on finding breeders and what to ask, in the Library section. It is useful to be sure you've read through the Getting Started section on what kinds of posts are OK. Not too many restrictions exist, but I do not allow discussions of specific breeding situations, breeding advice, or discussions of specific named breeders except in the general sense of discussing show dogs, cavalier history etc. (y)

Ooh ok, sorry. I did read through the section but missed that bit!!

I did contact someone today and can go see pups in 2 weeks! Very exciting!!! :rah:

Ooh ok, sorry. I did read through the section but missed that bit!!

I did contact someone today and can go see pups in 2 weeks! Very exciting!!! :rah:

Yes, it IS very exciting. But it seems very handy, and anyone who had been hunting for a well-bred cavalier can tell you, it's rarely handy!

Please read up on the info on the site about finding a reputable breeders. Most reputable breeders will probably have a waiting list of potential homes before the litter is even born because they don't have many litters each year.

Make sure you know what questions to ask, what documentations to actually see in person, and what info you must have from the breeder. The dogs will be VERY CUTE and you'll want to take one home right then in there if you can, so you really need to know EXACTLY what to say and what answers you HAVE TO HEAR before even considering one of these dogs. In fact, if I were you, I'd call the breeder back with my list of questions before I visited--it's so hard to think responsibly when those little pups are bouncing around.

Good luck!

Yes, it IS very exciting. But it seems very handy, and anyone who had been hunting for a well-bred cavalier can tell you, it's rarely handy!

Please read up on the info on the site about finding a reputable breeders. Most reputable breeders will probably have a waiting list of potential homes before the litter is even born because they don't have many litters each year.

Make sure you know what questions to ask, what documentations to actually see in person, and what info you must have from the breeder. The dogs will be VERY CUTE and you'll want to take one home right then in there if you can, so you really need to know EXACTLY what to say and what answers you HAVE TO HEAR before even considering one of these dogs. In fact, if I were you, I'd call the breeder back with my list of questions before I visited--it's so hard to think responsibly when those little pups are bouncing around.

Good luck!

I've definitly been reading up and have my questions to ask (y) The sections on the forum are really helpful and I have also been talking to other people to gain from their experiences!

Please DO read everything here on the boards before you even think about going and looking at those pups. I don't know where you are located, but here in the states it would be VERY RARE to just decide on this breed, contact a breeder and be able to go pick out a puppy within a two week period. We waited on a list for over 13 months for our puppy after finding a show breeder that met all the criteria listed here for health screening and temperament.

Did the breeder interview you extensively over the phone or require you to fill out an application? Is she a member in good standing with the CKCS club? Most good breeders will also be very picky about who they place their HEALTH TESTED (Pups, parents and grandparents) AND PROPERLY SOCIALIZED puppies with.

Do all of your homework here, ask questions over the phone and watch for the RED FLAGS that are listed on the finding a breeder section of this board. Maybe you just got lucky on those pups or they are more common where you live, but I can GUARANTEE that if you just show up and look at them (ALL CAVALIER PUPPIES ARE CUTE) without preparing ahead, you heart will win out over your proper reasoning, and you will want one regardless.

Good luck in your search, just trying to help you avoid any pitfalls, as this breed has alot of health issues that are rarely addressed by backyard breeders.(y)

Back