• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chewing....

Dublin

Following what I just wrote on another topic about hoping Sparky would destroy my kitchen I'm just wondering how destructive Cavy pups have been to everyone elses houses?

Sparky has been really good & touch wood & :xfngr: will stay that way - he's only chewed a small bit of my skirting board - which he did while I was out Its right by the back door so I figured he was frustrated as he couldn't get out? & he loves to take my shoes for walks if I ignore him! But thats it - we've had dogs in the past (Including Cassie) who ate half a sofa, the skirting boards, the corners of walls, carpets, dog beds....................

I never had much trouble with lucie -who is now 2.
She scatched my kitchen door quite badly and still does it to this day.
Oh the one bit of chewing she did do was my underwear.....:confused::confused:
The less said about it the better....trying to remove underwire was her fave passtime....naughty lucie!

Last edited:
:):)
Actually my fella found a pair of my undies in Sparkys bed the other day 2!!! (they were clean - well apart from the paw prints!!)

Daisy got the corners of 2 of my cupboard doors, plus lots of shoes and toys. And of course, she loves underwear to this day.

I read a dog book (can't remember which one) and I remember the author saying that she had had all kinds of dogs, but her house remained fairly unscathed woodwork-wise, until she got a little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy... Oops!

Rex destroyed a carpet in our box room, pulled a thread in the living room so theres a small hole, loves books/magazines, shoes, a microphone lead (brand new only out of the packet), cables on various items around the house and my least fav - my laptop charger which I still havent replaced it costs too much!!!! BUT he's over his chewing phase now and we've forgiven him :D

When Cinders was a puppy she chewed up the whole floor in the utility room, chewed kitchen cupboards - we'd just moved into a brand new house!!!! Luckily I was able to get replacement doors for the worst of them. She also had a go at the skirting boards. :(
Minnie-May was an angel and didn't chew anything.:rah:

We came downstairs one day to find Jack half in - half out of the back of the sofa. He had actually chewed his way right through it and was half inside! It was hilarious as all we could see was a bum and a waggy tail from our side :rotfl::rotfl:
All the lovely velvet (feather filled :eek:) cushions also got it -
Needless to say the sofa was a write off and has since been replaced (it was only 6 months old)

Jato has not chewed up anything in the house. :rah:
He goes through LOTS of toys though. He really likes the soft stuffed ones the best, and they only last a few days until he gets to the stuffing- then I have to sew them up over and over again. LOL

We came downstairs one day to find Jack half in - half out of the back of the sofa. He had actually chewed his way right through it and was half inside!

Wow, that is serious chewing!! :p

I've never had any major chewing problems with any of mine. Jaspar is the only one I had as a young puppy and he really didn't do more that scratch the armrest of a wooden chair until I got Leo when both were about 10 months old -- together they managed to chew the top of a couple of shoes. The girls have never chewed.

These days my only issue is that Leo sometimes will chew the edges of books but I only recently realised he was doing this now and then.

Wow, that is serious chewing!! :razz:

hehehehe, yes it was a major chew fest for him that day in particular. I have no idea how he managed it.

We have been lucky with Millie - she only managed to chew holes in about 10 duvet covers :D :D :D - but has now grown out of that phase

Chloe has just started on the skirting boards and my runners, but God love her, she is so tiny that she barely makes an impression - however hard she tries!

Dante managed to chew a piece out of our linoleum floor and scratch our kitchen door terribly, but besides from that he was a fairly nice pup and mostly kept to his own chew toys. Then again he was extremely hyper and I spent better part of the day outside playing with him, going on walks and letting him run so usually he just slept when we came back inside. If I didn't give him that outside time, he was pretty much trying to climb the walls cause of all that puppy energy he had. Tired pups are good pups. :)

OMG!!! I think I must have it lucky with our fella then!!

He lost his first tooth last night so I can imagine him chewwing a bit more now but he loves his toys & has lots so :xfngr: he just chews those!

Murphy scratched the surround at the back door when we kept him in the utility room, he then chewed a small corner of my kitchen. And when we let him have the run of the house too soon he chewed our bed:rolleyes:

But over all we've been dead lucky. Our neighbours daughter has got a terrier pup, who just chewed half her sofa:eek:

She's deadly! Much improved with age but still can launch an unexpected savaging on something she finds on floor.
She's chewed skirting boards, shoes, underwear,towels and bathrobes.
Leather hurling balls,legs of chairs and edge of computer table.
Most recent (and annoying) act of savagery was a family bible which was a wedding present and we also had a collection of old Irish paper money from before changeover to Euros which was in the centre of the Bible.
Of course it was my own stupid fault for taking it out of a filing cabinet and leaving it on the floor while I searched for other documents.
Sins

She's chewed skirting boards, shoes, underwear,towels and bathrobes.

hahahaha, this has made me laugh - at one stage I could have taken out shares in the underwear section in Dunnes! Millie went through that many pairs of boxer shorts and my undies I was constantly back and forth for replacements!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The funniest was when we didnt actually realise she had attacked them, and went to actually wear them! HILARIOUS...

Thanks God she's over that phase...

Back