• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

wondering something...

Ciren

its a theory that i been thinking about. dogs will toilet in a place thats not used, but say they do go to toilet in the kitchen, what would happen if you moved it to the place you want them to go.

would it work?

I think it's best to take Peaches out to the garden and reward and praise for toileting outside. If you want her to use only one area outside, put a lead on her and take her there. If Peaches has gone in the kitchen, I would clean it with biological clothes washing liquid. The enzymes in the liquid with neutralise the ammonia in the urine. It's the smell of the ammonia that draws them back to the same place to wee again.

yeah i know that, problem is cause she isnt eating much she isnt going regularly, well tbh i havent seen her go at all yet. i just wondered

I've had to fast Dylan for 24 hours when he's had an upset tummy and it takes days sometimes for him to do a poo again.

Girls can sometimes do a wee so quick you don't notice it.

Dogs often will not go for a day or two following the stress of a move to a new situation. This is normal.

As Pauline says, you need to take her out regularly to where you want her to go, stay out with her til she goes, and reward and praise. Never punish, ever, for an accident. (y) A puppy farm dog probably will not be housetrained at all so you need to approach this as you would with a puppy. Just keep in mind that sometimes puppy farm dogs will never be fully and reliably housetrained and will have occasional or regular accidents in the house so it is wise to manage them with this in mind (eg do not leave the dog anywhere that an accident is not going to be OK) -- the problem is they never are trained from when young and generally are left in their own filth a lot of the time so they never develop a clear sense of keeping an area clean. So you will probably need to take baby steps. A good housetraining guide is Shirlee Kalstone's book, which incorporates crate training though you can also use a puppy pen or anything where you can confine the dog to some degree.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean though in your original question?

dogs will toilet in a place thats not used, but say they do go to toilet in the kitchen, what would happen if you moved it to the place you want them to go.

Do you mean can you pick up a bowel movement and move it to where you wan them to go?

Do you mean can you pick up a bowel movement and move it to where you wan them to go?

yeah. ok it sounds sick, it was one of my 5 seconds from fallign asleep idea's

I suppose it might work! Is there any pattern to her going? Maybe when she wakes up? I think once she starts to eat she will be more regular and you will know when to stay outside with her until she does her toilet then lots of praise and a treat. Not too many treats if she is still refusing her dry food.

yeah. ok it sounds sick, it was one of my 5 seconds from fallign asleep idea's

I think Karlin just meant that the wording of your original question didn't make sense!

I know its not always obvious when she needs to go, but this will come with time. Until it does you will need to take her out A LOT. Treat her and train her the same as you would a puppy. Out every half hour or 45 mins. Out as soon as she wakes up (every time she wakes), and out everytime you let her out her crate.

This way she shouldnt have a need to go inside... although as has been pointed out, since she is from a puppy farm she may well do this and you may never eradicate these "accidents"!

When she does go outside, lots of praise and treats are a must. I know you maybe only want her to go in one section of the garden... but dogs will be dogs. Holly usually goes in certain spots when we take her out, but if you gotta go, you gotta go! :rolleyes::cool:

Yes, I just meant I wasn't sure I understood what you were saying from the way it was phrased. :)

If you leave a small bit of a poop where you want her to go, it does encourage them to return to that spot. If you want her to go in a particular area of your garden, take her there every time on a lead, and leave a bit of a poop there each day. Puppies tend to go where they can smell they've gone before -- it is why you need to clean with an enzymatic cleaner to remove all trace of an accident, but you also use this instinct to your favour when housetraining, to get them to return to where you do want them to go.

I'd be treating her like a puppy and taking her out every hour or two depending on how well she does at holding herself. The key to successful housetraining is enever, ever setting the dog up for failure -- which means WE have to be the ones watching 100% of the time and getting the dog out at regular interval. Never assume a dog can last for any period of time until you are well into training. (y) It doesn't matter that she is an adult -- as she was a puppy farm dog, you have to start from scratch as with a young puppy and get her out frequently.

Back