• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Housetraining......help

Harley1

Hi everybody
I have a question about housetraining. Short story: I just got a Cavalier on May25th, he was hospitalized May 27th-30th so this is the first full week of having him. He is being babied a lot because he was sick. OK, he is feeling better now so how should I start with housetraining. He is 3 mos old. I am already taking him out first thing in the morning, anytime he is in his cage and before he is going to bed. I also take him out during the day BUT he is still having some accidents. I am trying to juggle two pups, him and a 5 mo old dachshund. Yes, I am crazy!!! :eek: LOL Anyways, I just want to try and do him the right way. The 5 mo old is learning with time but she will still go if she feels the need and I turn my head for just a second. Can anyone lend me some advice on this???? And when is it appropriate to expect no accidents? LOL No, I am serious, does this ever happen? The dachshund is just now not going in her cage at all! YAY!!! She didn't poo it in anyways but she would occassionally pee, she doesn't now. I need your help!!! Thanks

OK. I am going to be blunt: I really, really do not think it is a good idea that you have two puppies -- it is going to be an enormous amount of work -- TWICE -- to housetrain, obedience train etc these two at the same time. Please think very very carefully about whether you can give the time to do this.

If you are determined to do this and keep both: first, I'd suggest using the search function and use the library for basic questions like this one here -- mainly as the same questions have been asked many times (there are very recent threads on housetraining) and people are a lot less likely to want to respond and write the same answers, which leads the poster to feel they are being ignored. It makes sense to do a little homework checking out what has already been said first , and then, if you still cannot find an answer, post a question. (y) People are generally happy to answer questions :) but it makes sense not to ask them to repeat what has been repeated many times -- we have a great archive of material from three years of similar queries so most answers will already be waiting here for you. :)

On housetraining and owning puppies: the best advice I can give is to please immediately go buy Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining and one of Ian Dunbar's books on raising a puppy. I think you are going to need both asap whether you take on one puppy or two. You can get both from Amazon. It is really important to understand how much work you have taken on though -- just as with having twins, you will have to do all the same things separately and twice for two puppies and they can easily become more closely bonded to each other than to you -- I have a whole set of links in the library on the question of owning two puppies and that should give you lots of crucial guidance.

The short answer is that it will be around one year before small breed dogs in particular are more or less housetrained. How often are you crating the dogs if they are going in the crates? They need to go out every hour or two at their ages -- the point of using a crate is that they automatically are not inclined to go inside one and thus it is a housetraining tool. The Kalstone book is really good on all this (as is Dunbar). (y)

Back