• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Problem In Louisiana

Hey all.... Down here in louisiana it is so hot that we have alot of bugs of all sort so that means we have FLEAS!!!!!!!!!!! We live right on the line of the Mississippi River and we had a bad flood so I am blaming it more towards the rise of the river. I spray my yard and put frontline on Leroux and her other companions but it does not seem to as well as it has in the past. Everyone around seems to be having a problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused: I am willing to try anything. I give LeRoux baths but don't want to over do it and dry her skin out. Help, open for suggestions!!!

Darlene and LeRouxcavtiny

i am allergic to fleas so if they are around I cant even sleep.

I learn from a petsmart employee that the best thing to do is to sprinkle BORAX ( an old brand green box with carriage horses on package) all over the carpet and vacuum it up! I am forever grateful for this tip! because bombing house with chemicals does not work! But this does! And it makes your carpet clean and soft too! Please give it a try!!

Woudnt know as its mostly cold and wet here.HaHaaaaa.Sometimes we see the sun all day.

Borax is a very useful compound, I've seen it in eye ointments and I've also used it mixed with water as a flux when soldering in silver. :cool:

It can also be used as a food additive (E285) which is banned in the U.S.

I took my dogs off Frontline this winter and switched them over to Flea Treats: http://www.fleatreat.com/
I have been using this on my 4 cavaliers since 3/15/2008 and I haven't seen a flea yet. It is much less costly than Frontline and free of chemicals.

From their website:
Flea Treats keep fleas (and ticks!) off your pets. They're free of hormones and insecticides. They're reasonably priced. They're guaranteed. They're safe, healthy treats, too! You might be wondering how we do that.
Read on....
bottle.jpg

FLEA TREATS are a B vitamin complex, specially formulated for dogs and cats. They're flavored with real liver--your pet will love them. When you keep Flea Treats in your pet's system, after about 10 to 20 days, the vitamins cause your pet to develop a natural repellent.

Borax is a very useful compound, I've seen it in eye ointments and I've also used it mixed with water as a flux when soldering in silver. :cool:

It can also be used as a food additive (E285) which is banned in the U.S.

Pauline, have you heard anything about BORAX being good for getting rid of ants???
We have a lot of them outside the houses here these past few years and a radio show presenter said to use BORAX. I thought it was a highly dangerous substance.

I thought it was dangerous too. Which is why I was surprised it's used for eye ointments. I would worry about the dogs inhaling it in powder form.

I would call the vet's office and ask. Fleas are a more serious problem in the hotter climates. I'm sure the vet could make recommendations. Also, you might want to ask the vet about Borax and how safe it is for pets.

Spraying the perimeter of your home with white vinegar will set up a barrier that the ants won't cross.

This is good if you get ants indoors too, it smells briefly but is very effective.

You can also use black pepper or even pour boiling water onto their "nests". (ant hills)

Boiling water is a "cure" for lots of things but might need to be repeated if bugs/weeds etc return. :)

Spraying the perimeter of your home with white vinegar will set up a barrier that the ants won't cross.

This is good if you get ants indoors too, it smells briefly but is very effective.

You can also use black pepper or even pour boiling water onto their "nests". (ant hills)

Boiling water is a "cure" for lots of things but might need to be repeated if bugs/weeds etc return. :)
Ah yes, Colin told me his mother used boiling water in the garden. So much better than using chemicals!

And vinegar is safe, inexpensive, and effective - can be used for all sorts of things.

Zippy, you're a GEM - thanks :flwr:
I use boiling water on ants and I usually buy ant kill powder to put around the perimeter of the house but it looks gross. I'll definitely try the white vinegar.

I have used Borax in a 50/50 mix with confectioner's sugar to kill ants for years. Every spring I make up a batch and sprinkle around my house's foundation. No ants. Sure, there's a white line for about a week, but I'd rather have that than ants! I also put on ant hills in the lawn. Cheaper, easier, and not toxic to the environment like those chemical sprays:D

Keep pets away from it, though.

I too have used Borax in the house. I live in Florida, so I can relate and this year has been a bad year so far for fleas. The Frontline isn't working at all. I also have cats. They dont have fleas, but my poor Lily is covered! I tried using Over and Out in the yard (ant killer) but it didn't work. I was told by someone to sprinkle Sevin Dust, but that is toxic to animals so why would I do that?! They also said to powder them with it. What were they thinking! The vet wasn't helpful at all. They told me to use the Frontline once a month and Frontline spray in between for additional protection. I think that is an overkill! I had the pest control place come out and treat my lawn. I am bathing Lily weekly to give her relief. I am not putting anything on her, just drowning the fleas. And I have used Borax throughout my rooms inside. It has been a week since I did all that and Lily still has them. I am hoping it kicks in soon. I think this is just going to be a bad year in the south since we never got a hard freeze at all. At lease where I am.

Back