• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fabric crates

Brian M

Hi

I was thinking about getting three fabric/soft crates for one we go on hols for the girls to adopt one each as their den to retire to and sleep in while we are away, in the CRV i have a wired crate withe a divider that Poppy and Rosie use and on the back seat another metal one for Rosie but i was thinking if i bought three fabric one for them to use in the cottage we are in it would save me getting the car ones out every night and putting them back in the morning .So has anybody got any advice or recommendations i looked at the dog bags but 3 x £100 for something i would use occasionally is a bit much.

A lot of people use the fabric ones for travel for just the reasons you describe -- they are very handy! Some dogs chew them but this isn't generally a problem for older dogs.

I use the fabric zipper crates and love them! They are lightweight, easy to carry and move, and the dogs like them, especially for travel. The only problem I've experienced is with India when she was younger - I had her zipped into her crate, and she wanted out so she scratched a rip in the fabric! The screens are indestructible, but the fabric isn't. Geordie and Chocolate have never tried that.

We have 3 fabric zipper crates in our bedroom for the dogs, and the only time we zip them in is once a month when we put their Frontline Plus on - we zip them in crates for the night. All other times the crates are open. I notice Geordie and India love to sleep in their crates, while Chocolate always chooses to sleep on the loveseat. Each pup knows which crate is their own, too. :)

I got some fabric crates on sale in argos for £7. the dogs like to go in them in the car

Hi AT, £7.00 FROM Argos?? That's brilliant! How recently did you get them, because I will get one if the offer is still on.:)

i have one and love it!

i have two wire crates and one portable fabric crate. my older dogs love the fabric one, but Ollie figured out if he scratched at the zipper he could get it open. needless to say, i can't put him in there....but i would highly suggest them. they are very light and easy to fold and set up again. when folded, they take up very little space.

Hey
Lucie has a metal crate for the house and a fabric crate for the car.
We got the fabric crate because she loves water and when we go to the park or beach she is always wet and really dirty.
I paid bout 40 quid for her fabric one. Its lightweight and foldable.....and washable! (y)
The new pup has a metal crate so far but am using a cat carry case till she is fully toilet trained (carry case is hard so much easier than throwing in machine)!
My fabric crate is pet gear i think.
I couldnt live without it

I have a small fabric one too and I love it. Only issue I've had is maverick like to turn 200 circles before bed and scratch at his blankets and that has kind of made the fabric pull at the seams.

I just ordered one from www.zooplus.ie. :)

I don't see fabric crates on the UK or Irish Argos websites so maybe that was a one-off a while back? I don't remember ever having seen them in the past on the Irish catalogue.

On fabric crates for car transport -- these would offer little to no protection in the case of an accident. A dog could be easily thrown with such force that it would rip right through the fabric (I've posted the physics of this before but basically a cavalier could travel forward at a TON of force in a crash at 55mph or so). If the crate is thrown or the car is crushed a fabric crate is not going to offer any protection at all. A hard crate or a secure harness is what vets generally recommend.

Hi
Bought one locally and got two more from The Roofrack shop these two were Pet Gear Deluxe size 660 (26") L x 460 (18") W x 530 (21") H and the price was £32.00 each incl p & p I ordered them on Sunday and they were delivered today so will try for size tonight.

Hi
As i mentioned the fabric crate arrived so i popped one up and put it on top of Poppys and as you can see its a bit longer and 2 " narrower but its already been claimed by Ami one of my white cats and the other photo is Daisy guarding her Broccoli

th_P1010537.jpg
th_P1010536.jpg
th_P1010505.jpg

This is them in my local park where we often go when its not rained as then it gets a bit muudy but most times we go its fairly empty so we have loads of acres and peace and quite and no other people or dogs

th_P1010415.jpg
th_P1010419.jpg
th_P1010391.jpg

:flwr::flwr::flwr:

Hi
Just a final report on the fabric crates ,we went on hols last week to Northumberland and took all the girls so on the first nite i set up the fabric crates all in the same room and all next to each other and so to bed about 11.PM .Instant howling and barking from all three (its a conspiracy) and within 5 Min's our bedroom door pushed open and in walks Daisy ,how did she break out? so back to bed three more times and of course three more break outs she developed quickly how to unfasten all the zips so she stayed with us so all night and it was OK till Poppy and Rosie decided to protest at 4.15 am , so it was a short night and sleep.Tried similar on Sunday night same results only quicker it has to be Daisy the ringleader.So Monday total capitulation we had a spare bedroom upstairs where i went with Poppy and Daisy and Rosie and me all spread out on one big bed and i actually thoroughly enjoyed their company though i dare not tell Dawn but it was a good break with lots of safe walks in a beautiful part of England with some superb quite white sandy safe beaches.

Fabric Crate

We use a fabric crate for travel, and it works great. Early on, Bodie learned how to use her paw to open the zipper to get out of the crate. We would return to our RV and find her wandering around, having a grand ol' time. We now use a simple keychain mechanism to attach both zipper-pulls together, keeping Bodie safe and sound. She has never tried to rip the fabric or the screen.

Yes that can be a problem especially if you have a dog who LOVES zips, plastic, metal you name it she will chew it. So you can imagine what happened to my lovely fabric crate when Beau got started from the inside out!

Back