• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Excessive snoring!

JudyG

We have had Maddy for about 8 months now. She is about 3/4 years old & has always snored quite loudly, however over the last two weeks this has become almost unbearable! She seems to be fine during the day, with just the odd grunt when she's in a heavy sleep, but at night she sounds like a pot bellied pig! As she sleeps just outside our bedroom it is very distracting & the snoring sound is very throaty ( if that makes sense?). To be honest we can cope with it because we love her so much, but I worry that it's something that could be a health problem?(not knowing her background). Obviously if it continues I will get it checked out by my vet, but as I said, she is otherwise in top health. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks,Judy x

Last edited:
If she is at all overweight this will make snoring a lot worse so keep her very lean. Some cavaliers have more difficulty in breathing than others and have worse snoring than others. If it got worse recently I would certainly talk to your vet if you haven't -- some ongoing situation might have worsened; or maybe she has something that has gotten lodged in her nasal cavities. There are a number of medical issues than can cause problems with breathing and snoring too. Have a look here: http://www.cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm

I'd make sure your vet is familiar with possible respiratory problems i the breed just so that you can hopefully eliminate those.

Some cavaliers are seriously loud snorers though and the only really effective approach is to put them somewhere that you cannot hear the snoring or get earplugs.

Thanks Karlin. She is definitely not overweight & doesn't seem to do it during the day (she's asleep next to me now & not a peep :)) & last night she didn't seem as bad. Also, she doesn't have breathing problems when we're out walking. I will keep an eye on her & of course pay my vet a visit if it appears to get worse.

Alfs snores real bad when he is completely out cold,and he snorts when hoovering up.I think its there breed with there short noses.Hubby snores bad to,whos worse i dont know.

It's definitely worse when she's out cold too, it just seemed a bit more, um, snorty recently I suppose. On Sunday night I couldn't tell who was the loudest, Maddy or hubby ;) I almost left them to it!

I'd wonder if it was something like allergy or a virus of some sort if it were only a short term thing, too.

They sleep so soundly sometimes,we had a lab he was invetigated further but they found nothing wrong,Karlin right being over weight is a major problem can make snoring worse,sometimes i can hear Alfs when i am in bed the snoring is so bad.

I give my boys dried seaweed; it's supposed to help with snoring, and I really think it has made a difference! :D

Nora (our Lucky Star girl) is not overweight at all and snores up a storm. It seems to be her head position because sometimes she sleeps quietly. When she sleeps on her back she seems to snore the worst. I wish there was a way to reposition her as she slept and keep her in a quiet position....I have tried and tried, but she always goes back to the 'wrong' position.

Nora snores so loud that I am worried about a tent camping trip we have scheduled in about a month and how the others around us will react. It's amazing that THAT much noise can come from such a small body.

Between Nora and hubby snoring in the same room, I get very little sleep.

I'll have to look into the dried seaweed...I wonder if it will work on hubby too?

Hehee, we should all bake seaweed cakes and biscuits. ;)

Our snoring dogs snore loudest when on their backs too. They prefer sleeping on their backs for at least part of the night.

Since I first posted this Maddy's snoring has calmed down again, she's still doing it but not so bad - hubby on the other hand, but that's for another forum, do they have help forums for wives?:D - She is worse when she sleeps in certain positions, sometimes I go to her & give her a gentle shove, she looks at me as if to say "hey! what did you do that for?", bless :).

Oh Cavs.are great at that look arnt they,Alfs did the LOOK when he fell in to the fountain feature in the park.

Back