PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about dog clothes!

nicoles94
10th June 2008, 07:09 AM
I live in Missouri, so our summers are hot and our winters are cold. I've noticed in the short time we've had Tybalt, he doesn't tolerate heat very well. And I assume the same can be said about cold weather?

Do you recommend doggy coats, sweaters and booties for my little guy once winter rolls around and we walk him outside? What about inside? I'm very cold natured so I generally keep the house toasty and since these dogs have such a gorgeous, thick coat, is it necessary to keep a shirt or sweater on them inside?

Barbara Nixon
10th June 2008, 01:15 PM
I would use a coat for extremely cold weather (ie worse than we get in UK), or for a sick/old dog with poor natural coat, but ,otherwise, the dog's own coat, if nice and thick would suffice. Sometimes, the overuse of coverings can cause a dog's own coat to be less luxuriant. An overheated home can , also cause extra moulting.

Melissa
10th June 2008, 04:33 PM
I live in Wisconsin and Maverick gets cold pretty easy during the cold weather. I have a couple different fleece coats that I've made for him. He's got one that covers pretty much his whole body and boots to match that for when it's snowing and really cold. He's got a couple others for when it's chilly and we're just sitting around (like when camping).

I know most people recommend muttlucks for the winter to keep the salt off their paws and snowballs out of their toes. I have ones that look just like them but some off brand.

If you keep your house warm in the winter he should be fine.

angelmommy
7th July 2008, 08:34 PM
if you keep your house as warm as we do he should be fine indoors.. i live in the UK and angel wears clothes for cold weather in hot weather she wears little dresses and in cold weather she wears coats and hoodies. she loves them too must know it keeps her warm coz she runs all bouncy when its time to get dressed lol and she sticks her head in her clothes too :D:lotsaluv:

arasara
9th July 2008, 08:55 PM
Kosmo and Faith have coats for the winter as well as the muttlucks. They work fantastic (but then again, it gets COLD here and I HATE picking snowballs out of their feet/coat).

I am also going to get them rain coats to use when it's wet outside ~ not because they NEED them, but because I HATE dealing with wet dogs for two hours while they dry off and stink :grnyuk:

They also have sweaters but rarely wear them. I did put them on 2 weekends ago when we were camping and there was like 1,000,000 mosquitoes everywhere :shock: I thought maybe I could cover them up a bit and they wouldn't get eaten alive :xfngr:

angelmommy
10th July 2008, 02:05 PM
heehee did the sweaters save them then ?? or did they still get eaten?? did you get eaten too? were lucky we dont have mosquitos here but we got big old nasty hornets :eek:

arasara
12th July 2008, 02:53 AM
I don't know if the sweaters saved them but it's the thought that counts! :D Poor Kosmo did have a bunch of skeeter bites on his tummy :( I have heard that Avon SOS dry oil spray has "mosquito repellent properties" and is the only thing on the market that can be used on animals (or so says my vet ~ after the fact!) Next time I'm going with that, for sure!

We got eaten alive :( We actually ended up coming home early because of it ~ I hate bugs! :mad:

I remember quite a while ago when one of Karlin's dogs (Leo, I think?) got into a mess of them and they started calling their buddies to sting him ~ that scared the bajeezus out of me and honestly I think I'd rather deal with mosquitoes! :eek: