View Full Version : This twitching AGAIN - any ideas please

10th June 2008, 01:36 PM
Tilly as i have posted before had this odd facial and head twitching. It has gotten more frequent although each episode is the same duration. However, last night I let her out for the toilet before bed. She did not return and when I open the back door she was almost frozen there. Her back legs were half bent and her tail frozen pointing up, she did woddle into the house but she could not get her back leg straight nor would her tail go down. This lasted for about 2 or 3 minutes and then stopped. She has changed so much since Tommy passed away in February. She is breathless, these twitching episodes and really just looks a little old lady now. I have before taken her to the vet for the twitching and they said there was nothing wrong. I am taking her again in a few hours because the pattern has now changed. What I am needing to know is what tests I should be asking for. Does anyone have a clue what is going on with her?? She is appproaching 9. Before Tommy left she was the most spritly, fun girl and its all changed now.:( p.s. I meant to also say at the weekend she had the runs and was weeing in the house, both of these in the house and never before has she done that. It happened two nights during the night - its like she should not hold or control as she would normally through the night

10th June 2008, 03:08 PM
See what your Vet says but I would think you would receive from him a rapid referral to a specialist. So many symptoms sound neurological however the being breathless sounds lung/heart.

Barbara Nixon
10th June 2008, 03:29 PM
I've pm'd you.

10th June 2008, 03:47 PM
I would almost certainly think this is neurological in origin. I would ask for a referral to a neurologist for a basic exam. It sounds like some aspect of motor control is being affected and you need a specialist at this point. It may be that some basic pain relievers for the condition could alleviate these sessions so I would get more focused advice.

I'm so sorry you are having these worries and hope you can get to the bottom of the problem.

10th June 2008, 03:55 PM
Just returned from vet. Tilly has a high temp as well so was given something for that.
Tomorrow they are taking her in and running blood tests. Some before food and some after and tests on Liver.
Vet is almost certain its a neurologial (spelling??) problem and likely something to do with the brain.
She was shocked at the decline in Tilly and Tilly did her twitching episodes at least 4 times in a space of 15 minutes so she saw them first hand.
She is going to Cambridge for MRI as soon as blood tests are back and looked at.
Poor girl
Thanks for all the replies and Barbara I sent a quick PM but only brief as I am now dashing to do a school run - thanks everyone

Cleo's Person
10th June 2008, 03:58 PM
:hug: :hug: to you and Tilly. I'm so sorry to hear she is unwell and that she has taken such a downturn since Tommy passed away. :xfngr: the vet will be able to find out what's wrong with her.

10th June 2008, 04:07 PM
Oh, no matter how hard this does sound as if you are on the right track to getting a solution.Hugs for her and a shoulder for you-:xfngr: on the lab results.

10th June 2008, 05:04 PM
I am so sorry your baby isnt well, sending loads of :lotsaluv: and :hug: from Ireland

10th June 2008, 05:19 PM
Thank you all very much. Rest assured she will be well looked after.
The vet also said her mumour which was a 1 in December has now in just 6 months gone up to at least a 4 - this too is being looked into in Newmarket. So poor girl has really taken a nose dive in a matter of half a year but she will be well cared for.

11th June 2008, 05:28 PM
Tilly had her blood tests today. The vet said they should be back on friday, after the results she will then be referred to Newmarket Animal Trust (I think thats the name?) Vet isnt expecting blood tests to show anything as she is certain its something connected to the brain. They had her for 4 hours and her twitching and tremours were terrible the vet said. They are short but almost constant. Approx every 3 or 4 minutes and if they are brief ones they can come every minute. She seems a little brighter today but that may be because she was given anti biotics for a high temp. Fingers cross:xfngr:

Cleo's Person
11th June 2008, 05:46 PM
At least she is a little brighter and more herself today. :xfngr: she'll continue to be a bit brighter every day until she's back to herself. Hopefully they can figure out fast what's wrong so that you can help her become herself again. :hug: :hug:

13th June 2008, 08:18 PM
Vet phoned today and blood tests came back clear which was not a good thing because it means the cause is not metabolic. Vet phoned Newmarket , the specialist, and they have grave concerns about her. Specialist is almost certain its a lesion on the brain on spinal cord although she has asked vet to run two further blood tests for an infection I think brought on by a parisite - I have forgotten all the vet said now. Specialist is starting Tilly on something for siezures and again I have forgotten the name of this - she will have further blood tests tomorrow and start medication. Appt for Newmarket has been set for 25 June. Fingers and everything crossed for her:xfngr:

13th June 2008, 08:59 PM
What a stressful time for you,sending you lots of :hug: will be thinking of you on 25th,let us know how it goes x

13th June 2008, 09:06 PM
best wishes!

13th June 2008, 09:52 PM
Sending hugs and best wishes to u both.....:hug: and :xfngr:.

14th June 2008, 12:21 AM
Oh, I am so sorry about your precious little Tilly.:( I will keep her and you in my daily prayers. Please keep the updates coming and hopefully this will be something that the specialists can fix or at least minimize enough to give her comfort and control over those seizures!:xfngr:

Cathy T
14th June 2008, 01:06 AM
Poor little Tilly....sounds like she's going through so much. Hoping they are able to get her sorted out and settled down.

Cleo's Person
14th June 2008, 09:36 AM
Oh my! Poor Tilly. Hopefully something will show up in the second set of bloods and if not you have the appointment with the specialists who will :xfngr: be able to identify and solve the problem. Lots and lots of :hug: :hug: :hug: coming your way

14th June 2008, 09:43 AM
thank you all for your kind comments. We are back to vet in a few minutes for another tests and medication. Hopefully, it will help her feel better until appt on the 25th. Thanks again

Cathy Moon
14th June 2008, 01:04 PM
:xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw: Fingers and paws are crossed in hopes that she feels better soon. Thinking of you. :flwr: