• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chewing his own ears

Mom of Jato

:confused: Is it common for a puppy to chew on their own ears? Jato is now 6 months old, and his ears are just long enough for him to use his paws to put them in his mouth. He usually does this when he is rolling around on the floor playing and being silly. This morning though, I found some little curls from his ears in his crate. :eek: Yikes! Anyone else experience this with their furry kids?

When Alfs ears get long he sucks them.Have you checked inside the ears,if black and smelly ciould be ear mites.

There's nothing going on inside his ears....it's just fun for him I guess to run around with an ear in his mouth. :lpy: What a crazy boy!!!

My 4 roll on their backs and comb their ear hair into their mouths. They chew until they have dreds and it breaks off. It doesn't have anything to do with infections/infestations-- they do it when they are bored (the four hours I am not home).

My 4 roll on their backs and comb their ear hair into their mouths. They chew until they have dreds and it breaks off. It doesn't have anything to do with infections/infestations-- they do it when they are bored (the four hours I am not home).

Gosh, you could be describing Cleo here, this is exactly how she behaves when really bored! :rolleyes: Thankfully it doesn't happen often. She has other things she'll do first like try to break into our bedroom, throw a toy at our feet to get us to play or whatever!

Last edited:
I know this drives some who show to distraction -- I have read posts by people who have had their dog chew an ear so badly just before a show that it couldn't be shown and another story of a dog that chewed all the OTHER dogs' ears and also ruined a dog just before a major show. For some dogs I'd guess it may have some obsessive compulsive aspect like tail chasing/chewing.

Some people have tried things like bitter apple spray on their ears and for some that works. Some dogs can be distracted with other things to do. For other dogs maybe the best solution is keeping the ear hair cut short, if it is really shredding the hair.

Make sure you clean the hair out of their teeth. Hairbiters can get hair stuck between their teeth, or even wrapped around teeth, causing gum infections which can lead to tooth loss.

Bella eats one of her ears - just the one :rolleyes:. So she permanately has one ear longer than the other. I have to keep trimming up the long ear so she doesnt look lobsided :cool:

Sometimes i tie his ears up,like a pony tail,he does look funny,then he gets cross and pulls the hair tie of with his paws.Dont fret i dont hurt him and its not tight...

Sometimes I joke with him and tell him I'm going to tie up his ears....that's funny that you really do it! :jump: I'm sure it's a funny sight. I'm glad to know that Jato isn't the only one that loves to play with his ears.

Kayla use to chew her ears, an before she could chew them they still were so long they used to go straight into her bowls

Back